• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OC BIOS Bricked, how to recover ! Rx 5700

noobi

Sooo,
i recently flashed my RX 5700 to an overclocked, optimized MorePowerTool Bios, which i converted to ROM with the RedBiosEditor.
Well after i tried to flash (using atiflash) this bios onto my OC BIOS (using the switch) I instantly got a blackscreen and the card gave no signal. Tried to switch to the silent bios using the bios switch. Well my mouse and keyboard started to lighten up, but still there was no post to my screen.
I came up on an idea to clear the CMOS by extracting the mb battery for couple of seconds. Ofc plugged pc off etc. Well after resetting MB Bios and switching to my silent BIOS, which was not corrupted, I got into Windows properly without problems.
Well then I looked up on the internet about how to unbrick one of the bios with amdvbflash.
Entered the command amdvbflash -i to get informations about registered adapter on my card, only one showed up. At this point i was curious if i should rlly flash the oc bios in expectation my main bios would work. Thats why i looked clearly into that adapter (0) and found that it was about the silent bios.
So right now I still dont have a clue on how to fix that bricked bios. I think you would understand if i want to be very carefully about what i do to not completly destroy my card :).
Hoping on good news and advices :)
Screenshot_48.png

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Read this thread:

noobi

Read this thread:
That was exactly what i found. As said before i entered the commands shown in this thread. And also explained as before, im curious about this. Regarding the shown adapter, 0 is my second bios, the one which is not bricked.
Again, im looking for a solution on how to fix my first bios not my second.

The Masked Onion

Did you change the bios switch to the bricked one after it booted in to windows?

from there you should be flashing over the bricked bios.

noobi

Did you change the bios switch to the bricked one after it booted in to windows?

from there you should be flashing over the bricked bios.
So you mean i should change from my non bricked to my bricked while its running and then flash the stock bios onto it?

i dont rlly know if its save to switch the switches while pc is running. that was my point after all

The Masked Onion

Yes that what i mean.

I had to do the same thing when i bricked my performance bios on my RX480. Boot in with the silent bios, wait for the desktop to load. Change the bios switch to performance and load up atiflash and flash the card with the backup of my performance bios. reboot keeping the bios switch where it is and hopefully you'll be back in to windows with a working bios.

noobi

Well first of all thank you for your advice.
Did like u scheduled, how ever im getting Error 0FL01, which seems to be pretty known among the rx 5700 cards. I tried to get a newer version of the flash tool (3.04+) and tried to perform the flash in save mode. Still no result. Right now im trying to create a dos bootable drive and trying my luck.
Well if this wont work, i dont see any other possible solution.
Would be still honored for every single advice i can get :)

The Masked Onion

Do you have an onboard GPU you could use to flash the card?

1. Connect the monitor to the on-board GPU and set the 5700 to the corrupt BIOS and boot the machine.
2. Uninstall any AMD GPU drivers (reboot if needed) and then jump in to device manager and disable the 5700.
3. Try flashing the 5700 again.

noobi

Do you have an onboard GPU you could use to flash the card?

1. Connect the monitor to the on-board GPU and set the 5700 to the corrupt BIOS and boot the machine.
2. Uninstall any AMD GPU drivers (reboot if needed) and then jump in to device manager and disable the 5700.
3. Try flashing the 5700 again.
No unfortunaly I dont have a onboard gpu.
Would this work if I
1. Uninstalling GPU Drivers Reboot
2. While Rebooting switching to bricked BIOS
3. Then try to flash it.

I dont know if it is safe to disable the GPU when i only have one so I might skip this point.