1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OC-ing not really worth it?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Flash, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I tried the following (pretty much first time when i've been working out in OC-ing the GPU).
    The benchmark I used is Crysis Warhead developed by japamd: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=273935

with 750/900 clocks on Crysis Warhead in Front map, the result is:

Now with 780/1000 clocks, the result is:

So really, is it worth it for only 1.5 FPS more to stress the GPU? I mean I realise that is not exactly the max OC I can do (I don't think it's stable tho at 800/1050), but I kinda don't see the point in OC-ing.
    Also some interesting results, when OC-ing only memory or clock.

Crysis Warhead on Ambush map.

750/900 clocks:

750/1050 clocks:

810/900 clocks:

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now 30MHz is a small increase which means u’ll get a small increase in FPS. If that’s the farthest u could go then go back to default clocks.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You should stop basing your results with Crysis.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I don't mean to be an ass but isn't this sort of answered by itself? You gave your card a 4% increase in clocks and it gave you 5% better relative performance.

5. Cuboard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same with Crysis demo benchmark, default clocks (750/900) gave me 37 FPS average.
    850/1025 gave me 40 FPS average.
    That's with a q6600 at 3.6. res -1600x1050

Oh and about using Crysis for testing OC results.
    In other games COD4&5 say. I get so many FPS anyway, it doesn't need a GPU overclock, but Crysis every little bit helps, well that's the way I see it :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The way I see it, OCing is all about one of two things:
    1. saving money by buying cheaper parts and overclocking them so they surpass thier more expensive counterparts (most common)
    2. bragging rights (90935346347 points in epenismark06)

but that doesn't really apply to graphics cards. No matter how much you overclock a 9600gt it will never be as good as a 9800gt. it kind of does apply to cards which are very similar, such as the 8600gt and 8600gts. you could overclock an 8600gt an surpass the 8600gts.

as long as you don't go out of your way to buy better cooling, espically getting some sick watercooling setup, overclocking is free. In essence you could say I paid $20 so I could overclock my 5200+ (bought the AC Freezer 64 pro for it), but before I bought the cooler, I had bumped it up from 2600MHz to 2750MH, so that was free.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    A few frames could mean the difference between jittery gameplay in spots and smoother gameplay too, something to keep in mind. Also another thing to keep in mind would be using just one game for results, at least it's a benchmark game, but at the same time, what about other games that may reap better benefits? Maybe not needed, but imo, there are many games that are much better than Crysis in my eye, that is opinion based though. But I'd like to see some results in other games that may also benefit from overclocking your GPU.

Really overclocking needs to be looked at from an overall system point of view too, sure you might see less of an increase, but overall smoother performance from overclocking your CPU/System Bus/RAM too. Sure it might add more stress, but that's what better quality components, aftermarket cooling and common sense are for. I find an overclock on the total system provides an overall better gaming experience than just overclocking one aspect, even if the benchmarks don't show it or as much of an increase as you feel, if the lowest FPS are higher, and the average are increased even if the max is negligable, the overall experience can be improved. Of course that depends on base-line performance and if you have a higher end build, overclocking might be a waste of time depending on what you do, what you use it for and what you're playing. Overclocking is an art and a little bit of luck, and for some it's more about clockspeeds than performance, but finding that mix of low voltage and operating temps, with higher performance is key.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am in agreement with the opening poster.

As far as the ATI4870 card go there is not a great deal to be gained by overclocking them and it dont take much to make them instable or to put them under stress that will drastically shorten their lifespan.

for 1-3 FPS extra...its simply not worth it.

9. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    You have increased GPU clock by 4% and you gained 4% in performance I don`t know what you were expecting 30% speed increase from 4% clock increase ?
    And I don`t think that you are stressing your VGA with 4% overclock.
    And if I can`t overclock VGA or CPU above 10% stable I`m using it stock. I had two components that fit in that list x1950 sapphire and athlonxp 2200+.

10. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    And overclocking is about that you will gain little on the GPU little on the CPU little on the memory little by little you end up with faster system alltogether.

11. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Didn't I already say this? r9 I'm coming after you for plagiarism!!! :laugh:

12. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I just read the opening post :D