• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oc Q9300 P7n Sli Platinum

nully

Hi there,

I am a virgin to OCing. Can someone shows me how to overclock my mb and cpu

my spec...

MB : p7n sli platinum
BIOS : v02.61 AMI
CPU : Q9300
RAM: 2x2GB nanya (PC6400)
Cooling : Via CPU and MB

I am aiming for 3.0Ghz

anyone with similar spec can send me their bios settings.

Dave

ascstinger

System Name F34R T3H 0R4NG3
Processor AMD Phenom II 945
Motherboard DFI DK 790gx LP JR
Cooling Scythe Mugen II
Memory G.SKILL Trident 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX260 Core216 55nm
Storage Western Digital 80gb Vraptor
Display(s) Westinghouse 19" LCD
Case Antec Mini P180 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard :/
Power Supply Antec Signature Series 650w
Software Vista x64 SP2
I dont have any bios settings for you, but I can say every chip is different, and the best overclock can be achieved by only time and effort. Reading this topic should give you a good idea where to get started on trying to get your quad to 3ghz

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30480

nully

I have read the link you gave me but I am getting nowhere :)

thanks

ascstinger

Cooling Scythe Mugen II
Software Vista x64 SP2
the magic fsb number you want is 400mhz for this chip (if you didnt already know this). you can try running that at stock voltages, but you may have to play with vcore and northbridge. If the board uses memory dividers, I think 1:1 should work fine for this setup, as your ram stock speed is also 400mhz. Just keep an eye on temps and remember to run some sort of stressing application that will 100% load all four cores to check stability and load temperatures. temperatures should not go above 70 dgerees celcius loaded. Thats about all I can give you advice on.

If you need advice on where to find any of the bios settings, just look in the motherboard manual

ascstinger

Cooling Scythe Mugen II
Software Vista x64 SP2
now thats an intresting setup, I guess I was mistaken about what you need for numbers here.

Under system clock mode, Input "1600" in the fsb section, and "800" in the memory section.

if it will not boot, clear the cmos and add some voltage (in addition to those clocks obviously) I dont know the increments, nothing more than .03 or .04 at a time for the cpu voltage, and .01 to .02 for the nortbridge, try just the cpu voltage first, then if you cant get it stable after adding close to .10 volts, adjust the northbridge (and maybe southbridge too, at the same rate)

unfortunately, it looks like this board is rather picky looking at their overclocking results page, and the northbridge tends to run hot. so keep an eye on temperatures, and if you cannot get it stable with acceptable temperatures, either upgrade the cooling or just leave it stock rather than damage either the board or the cpu.

nully

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have OCed running at 3093MHz. Using Core Temp 0.99.3 to measure CPU temperature, I have OCCT running stress test showing CPU core #0..3 an average 30 degree C. Is this right?
But with OCCT in-built temperature monitor/alert, it failed the stress testing. So my question is, which one is correct?

Dave