• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCCT and PSU concerns

Killmeplsnow

If my computer can handle 1 hour of OCCT PSU test while GPU is underclocked by -500mhz core and memory + 30% power limit, does that mean that the PSU is most likely OK?
I can not run the card at stock speeds as it recently started artifacting after 7-8 days. (3rd RMA card. no OC on GPU ever)

This is going to be my fourth 2080ti and I would like to ensure my system is not causing any issues.
Are there any other tests I can run? I also have a multi-meter but limited knowledge on how to use it.

I tried to keep this short, but there are a lot more details here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-the-psu-look-ok.3473503/#post-20991896
https://imgur.com/a/3QOgXSL#PaVeCWL

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 671
System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
If card is artifacting on stock speed that means gpu is faulty simple as that, RMA it again, and maybe they are just cycling faulty 2080Ti stock they have since it's 3rd card.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Artifacting is usually a VRAM issue and the early production 2080 Ti using Micron chips is a well known issue. Unfortunately the company you are dealing with is just continuing to send you those early production cards and all you can really do is keep returning them until they stop sending those early models to you.

The bottom line is that you spent a lot of money on that card and you deserve to be at least able to run it at stock clocks.

We've been there, dona that with EVGA ... 20 support calls over 18 months, and 5 RMAs. What model is it ? The 970 SC was a turd, as were all the SC and FTW 1060 - 1080s. The early production models of the 2xxx series (all brands AFAIK) had a % of cards and several causes were mentioned, none full confirmed. One analysis that seemed to make sense related to memory chips of varying height and clearance issues associated therewith ... never seen any "officially" confirmed causes tho. We never did get a functional replacement. EVGA blamed the PSU, RAM, MoBo and just about everything else .... when doing a new buildfor another user, borrowed the twin cards in SLI and was able to OC those 27% on top of the factory OC. had to send in proof bt they finally relented and sent a nect generation 1st tier card. It coudn't handle the factory OC either but it was faster than the previous generation card.

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
well, these cards may be the fastest, but these problems with some people to RMA several times is a record, so stick with older 10th series but full working without any problems, until all manufacturers resolve these annoying problems with cards that are not costing several bucks though.....

Killmeplsnow

Wow thank you guys for responding! I need to shorten my posts for sure... hahah.

Unfortunately, the 2080ti is now just dead. I got really bored and decided to play some Cuphead. Everything was great for about 10 minutes, lol. I saw GPU usage around 10% so I didn't really think it would be an issue but it pushed it to the max and the game just froze. I got to desktop but it was really laggy. I managed to hit the Start button then Restart. I rebooted many times but could not get it working anymore. It would artifact as soon as hitting the windows 10 login screen and freeze. When I replugged the HDMI, sometimes it would have a BSOD but other times just had to completely restart the computer. Not sure if any of this actually means much tho.

One weird thing that happened after taking the 2080ti out was that my mb had a hard time booting. First I figured out that I had to reset CMOS but then it would hang on DRAM debug light which led to bad memory. I had tested these sticks out a few months ago for a very long time with memtest86. Passed multiple times with no overs over 12+ hours I'm pretty sure. So I moved the sticks into the other 2 slots (I have 2x8gb sticks with 4 slots) and it booted up. Could not get XMP to apply 3200mhz auto or even 3000 manual. I swapped the stick locations again (just literal took left and placed into right and took right and placed into left, not actually different DIMM slots) and was able to apply the auto XMP overclock.

Everything is back to normal and interestingly enough, I've been playing Division 2 at a really low resolution on my 7700k integrated GPU, lol. Everything seems like a solid 30 fps for now... hahah it's pretty cool that it can actually handle the game!

But the RAM thing just had me concerned.. either I have some really bleepty luck or I need to throw this whole computer away and buy some new parts... so many WEIRD problems over the last few years lol.

If card is artifacting on stock speed that means gpu is faulty simple as that, RMA it again, and maybe they are just cycling faulty 2080Ti stock they have since it's 3rd card.
Honestly it does just seem like this is the correct answer. Thank you.
I really just wanted to make sure my system/other hardware is not at fault here.
Artifacting is usually a VRAM issue and the early production 2080 Ti using Micron chips is a well known issue. Unfortunately the company you are dealing with is just continuing to send you those early production cards and all you can really do is keep returning them until they stop sending those early models to you.

The bottom line is that you spent a lot of money on that card and you deserve to be at least able to run it at stock clocks.
Yeah... I finally found a game I could actual spend some hours in at a time... I even found some nice settings that made the game buttery smooth. I played maybe 30-60 minutes until this hit me and I've been super depressed ever since, lmao. I know how pathetic it sounds but ever since a work injury, I've been restricted to home and this game really had me excited and got me out of my most recent 'down time' lol. It's really sad to have to go through this after spending so much money though. At least they are going to hook up a free shipping label to return the card this time... hahah.
and I'm with EVGA btw... the serial numbers look pretty spaced apart... I don't know if they are continuing to manufacture these faulty devices but I really hope I get a good one this time, lol.
We've been there, dona that with EVGA ... 20 support calls over 18 months, and 5 RMAs. What model is it ? The 970 SC was a turd, as were all the SC and FTW 1060 - 1080s. The early production models of the 2xxx series (all brands AFAIK) had a % of cards and several causes were mentioned, none full confirmed. One analysis that seemed to make sense related to memory chips of varying height and clearance issues associated therewith ... never seen any "officially" confirmed causes tho. We never did get a functional replacement. EVGA blamed the PSU, RAM, MoBo and just about everything else .... when doing a new buildfor another user, borrowed the twin cards in SLI and was able to OC those 27% on top of the factory OC. had to send in proof bt they finally relented and sent a nect generation 1st tier card. It coudn't handle the factory OC either but it was faster than the previous generation card.
It's the 2080ti. I have seen a lot of reports with RTX artifacting though.. and I have EVGA too :( Seems like it's some sort of memory issue.
well, these cards may be the fastest, but these problems with some people to RMA several times is a record, so stick with older 10th series but full working without any problems, until all manufacturers resolve these annoying problems with cards that are not costing several bucks though.....
Yeah my 1080ti was so amazing. FE though... maybe I should stick to nvidia from now on... but then again EVGA RMA is very fast while nvidia seems to be kinda slow.

EDIT: also something that I just thought about... since the card worked for 7-8 days before it started artifacting and all this happened, what about the new card? What if the new card does the same thing? Will that finally be an indicator that the PSU is causing this? OR would it have to happen right away if it was the PSU? Like if the PSU is bad, wouldn't it just destroy the card the first time a heavy stress test or game is ran or would it be slowly/over time?

Last edited: