• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ocean currents and hydropower, solving the worlds energy problems without fusion dreams?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
It's not complicated figure it out. They got to the damn moon and they made a bomb that goes boom I'm a mushroom they can figure this out.
The technology and capability to do it is here. Its just too expensive vs other power sources e.g. wind or sun. Thus, this is currently a very niche power source unless we can make it way cheaper.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Stainless steel is good at resisting corrosion.

Not in a saltwater environment. It just corrodes differently. It will corrode slower but it won't buy that much time. That's why anything metal regardless of material that is in frequent contact saltwater use sacrificial anodes, usu. made out of zinc, as the main method of fighting corrosion.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
they have tidal waves generating energy now in salt water, and those are taking way more of a punishment than this idea would be... that salt is slamming into tidal wave generators/turbines. and mine would be more of a gentle flow. so if they can do it, so we can. and better to boot!
The issue I see is anchoring. Ocean currents are probably in deep water. What are we tethering this whole assembly too? How does the power get out to somewhere useful? I mean I guess we could just use the power locally and make a Dolphin resort but I think we're going to want to get it to the mainland.

Why even put them under the ocean just anchor a oversized mill wheel like a ferris wheel above the ocean and submerge it to the sweet spot balance. Then you can put the motor above ocean level and water proof it. Store the energy in capacitors and winning they last a long damn time and store a ton of energy for fast charging Tesla cars.

The issue I see is anchoring. Ocean currents are probably in deep water. What are we tethering this whole assembly too? How does the power get out to somewhere useful? I mean I guess we could just use the power locally and make a Dolphin resort but I think we're going to want to get it to the mainland.
Just anchor them enough that they don't move much and can send out message with some GPS tracking and monitoring. Hell the satillates could even keep track of them getting out of sync beyond a certain point and have ships drag and realign them periodically. Who cares they move around a little long as they function and can be relocated back in place with moderate ease. They already put windmills out on the ocean offshore how is this that much more difficult?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Why even put them under the ocean
Because the currents are presumably underwater. If they aren't, without an anchor, the craft is just going to drift.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the wheel vs generator housing. Sorry, misunderstood.

There is still plenty of ocean waves above water though. Who cares if it drifts if you can pull it back in place and track it when it gets too far out of place with satellites from space and GPS tracking. In fact with some rotor adjustments the whole float could probably realign itself over time and shift around within a certain radius in circles with subtle adjustments.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
How is this different from tidal power generation?

From what I gathered after a bit of research, it takes too many pieces of the right pieces to fall into place to be effective. The biggest drawback in my eyes is that the turbines disrupt whatever current that is being harnessed, which put a hard ceiling on the potential. To compare with solar if you want to increase the power output just add more panels, in the case of tidal generation adding another turbine would incurr a penalty to output due to the added disruption.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
So personally I think apart from Moore's law most technology and development has stagnated, thanks to the speed in which computers have evolved we now have breakthroughs in many fields such as fusion reactions, medicine and so on.

There are many interesting theories that would solve our power requirements but I think the rich and powerful have so much invested in the current status quo and not using money to develop the planet that we have become stuck.

From the industrial revolution to WWII if there was a theory it was instantly developed and put into action. Although most of the current big energy theories such as Dyson sphere's and so on seem impossible with our current skill set, I'm sure there are many that we could implement but are unaware because they are simply brushed under the rug so to speak.

We as a planet need to stop this throw away mentality if we are to have a sustainable energy source it needs to have low production/maintenance compared to lifespan, I hope fusion will be the answer.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Figuring out a way to produce electricity from the ocean isn't the main issue here, the main issue should be the cost and maintenance.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Figuring out a way to produce electricity from the ocean isn't the main issue here, the main issue should be the cost and maintenance.
Exactly the majority of these "Green" things were sold have a limited lifespan and just end up being landfill same as any other commodity, solar panels 20-25 years,lithium batteries 2-3years, electric motor used in cars 15-20 years pushing us to buy more and more we need to overhaul our way of thinking.

If a wind turbine, solar panel or tidal system needs a complete overhaul within so many years is it really sustainable energy, although I'm unsure of the wearable parts and how often they need changing things like the hoover dam seem sustainable. Great hunks of concrete that produce energy at the cost of changing the surrounding eco system.

We should at least look at making these modern sustainable options more maintenance friendly.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Think your looking at this problem wrong
whats needed is on shore fresh water managment.
The Problems mankind face is Food and more important Fresh water Shortages.
Suitable land needs development as water reservoirs.
These can be utilised as Hydro power generation
Fresh water aqua agriculture including farming fish for protein.
HE Turbine waste water diverted to Agrarian use ie crop Irrigation and water processing plants for potable drinking water.

You Don't need power unless your population has food and potable Water Security.

Want an Example
look to Saudi Arabia

they have invested massive amounts of money in Desalination plants so they can provide water for their people and their agriculture (they are trying to farm on Desert sand ). They also considered towing Ice burgs from Antarctica to mine for water. Ultimately they will fail due to climate change.
With Climate change driving up Temps Vast Swathes of land between the Tropics will become uninhabitable without Technological intervention. This is going to drive Global migration as people seek Food and Water Security.
Wars will Occur as Nations seek water security.

Hint "one is already Brewing in East Africa" as Egypt / Sudan /Ethiopia squabble about the Resorces on the Nile River.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Exactly the majority of these "Green" things were sold have a limited lifespan and just end up being landfill same as any other commodity, solar panels 20-25 years,lithium batteries 2-3years, electric motor used in cars 15-20 years pushing us to buy more and more we need to overhaul our way of thinking.

If a wind turbine, solar panel or tidal system needs a complete overhaul within so many years is it really sustainable energy, although I'm unsure of the wearable parts and how often they need changing things like the hoover dam seem sustainable. Great hunks of concrete that produce energy at the cost of changing the surrounding eco system.

We should at least look at making these modern sustainable options more maintenance friendly.
I don't know what part of "giant spinning compass on the north pole" sounded maintanenence intensive to you, but I assure you the sheer awesome of the thing would make up for it.

Going back to serious, I think wind power could work well on some windy seas. I believe the north sea may be a good example.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
I don't know what part of "giant spinning compass on the north pole" sounded maintanenence intensive to you, but I assure you the sheer awesome of the thing would make up for it.
This has been theorised over and over and the fact the magnet field is almost static would mean the coil would need to be moved, which would most likely consume more energy than it produced. So maintenance and cost don't really come into it.

Also the earth's magnetic field is considered pretty weak like 0.5% the strength of a fridge magnet so the likelihood of it turning anything but a compass is slim.

dorsetknob

This has been theorised over and over and the fact the magnet field is almost static would mean the coil would need to be moved, which would most likely consume more energy than it produced. So maintenance and cost don't really come into it.

Magnetic north was drifting at a rate of up to about 9 miles (15 km) a year. Since the 1990s, however, the drift of Earth's magnetic north pole has turned into “more of a sprint,” scientists say. Its present speed is about 30 to nearly 40 miles a year (50-60 km a year) toward Siberia.

currently drifting over the polar Ice cap

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Also the earth's magnetic field is considered pretty weak like 0.5% the strength of a fridge magnet so the likelihood of it turning anything but a compass is slim.
I know it wouldn't actually work. That was kind of the joke.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Magnetic north was drifting at a rate of up to about 9 miles (15 km) a year. Since the 1990s, however, the drift of Earth's magnetic north pole has turned into “more of a sprint,” scientists say. Its present speed is about 30 to nearly 40 miles a year (50-60 km a year) toward Siberia.

currently drifting over the polar Ice cap
Ok consider me more informed but that surely makes the idea more impractical moving a giant ocelating magnet 150m every day.

I still think solar is our best bet if we could make it more maintainable, copper impregnated glass and ceramic with a serviceable semiconductor layer surely would be the way to go. Since the first solar boom's panels are at end of their lifespan the development of semiconductor recycling has come on very fast so if that's possible why recycle the whole panel.

dorsetknob

Pleanty of Geo-active Volcanic area's
apart from Infrastructue investment its low cost Power
Iceland basicly runs on Geo thermal power

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Plenty of Geo-active Volcanic area's
apart from Infrastructure investment its low cost Power
Iceland basically runs on Geo thermal power
Yes!! Things like this and dam's have large initial costs but will last especially if engineered well but that isn't available to everyone and greed plays a big part also. Look at the crypto mine running in El Salvador surely it would be better to power the country but no let's grab some bitcoin.

Back to the hoover dam, it was built to last generations but much of the current worlds Infrastructure was made to last less than one generation, China has massive amounts of buildings lasting less than a decade ,crumbling because of poor quality metal and in some cases bamboo being used instead of rebar.

Our throw away society has gotten worse and worse as dorsket said we need to focus on producing sustainable food and water and start only using products that will last, can be repaired or easily recycled.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I do like the spitballing of ideas, even if impractical. Cool thread Lynx, energy generation and improving it has always been a fun thought experiment for me.
Indeed, a solutions thread is much better than moaning about the situation in any other way or thread.

Fully agree such that a thumbs up wasn't enough.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Oregon State University is one of the leading researchers into this potential energy source.
https://www.oregon.gov/energy/energy-oregon/Pages/Marine.aspx

But to me, the big question isn't whether we can, but whether we should. Ocean currents and tides are VERY important for life on this planet. The Gulf Stream for instance is why Norway is inhabitable and Great Britain has such a mild climate for as far north as it is. Man has a bad track record of not understanding how things are interrelated. I even have concerns about wind power which pulls energy from a system (the atmosphere) and we don't even seem to question it's affects.

Edit: I should have used this link: https://pmec.oregonstate.edu/

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Oregon State University is one of the leading researchers into this potential energy source.
https://www.oregon.gov/energy/energy-oregon/Pages/Marine.aspx

But to me, the big question isn't whether we can, but whether we should. Ocean currents and tides are VERY important for life on this planet. The Gulf Stream for instance is why Norway is inhabitable and Great Britain has such a mild climate for as far north as it is. Man has a bad track record of not understanding how things are interrelated. I even have concerns about wind power which pulls energy from a system (the atmosphere) and we don't even seem to question it's affects.
It does erk me a bit that we went from hyped butterfly effect to f butterflies in a heartbeat.

Going back to serious, I think wind power could work well on some windy seas. I believe the north sea may be a good example.
Since we are bringing up the subject of the north pole and by extension south pole that is where magnetic fields are at it's strongest. There has got to be a good way to tap into that magnetic energy.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Since we are bringing up the subject of the north pole and by extension south pole that is where magnetic fields are at it's strongest. There has got to be a good way to tap into that magnetic energy.
As I pointed out earlier earth's magnetic field might be big but it isn't strong.
The only natural magnetic fields that could viably produce electricity would be those from solar flares hence why we have issues with power grids when they hit us.

Just seems like these discussions on alternative energy speak of anything that isn't solar it just circles back to solar so it feels like a waste to even talk about them.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Heat engine... using the temperature difference betwixt the surface and deep.