• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ changed warranties again

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Looks like OCZ decided to just up and change all warranties again. After having warranty denied on a Vector I checked. I was directed to this page which says Toshiba no longer officially supports it (nor any of the Vertex 1-4 or Revodrives): http://ocz.com/us/support/legacy-products andhttp://ocz.com/us/support/warranty

They also now deny warranties by TBW: "Warranty is 5 years or the max TBW (total bytes written) per model capacity, whichever occurs first". (see under full specs on page here: http://ocz.com/us/ssd/vt180-ssd#show

They also changed the Shieldplus warranty to advanced warranty and can now offer prorated refunds at their discretion where they used ot send new drives. They also previously advertised you only need the serial number, now you need receipts sent with the defective drive. If they don't like the receipt they bill you. http://ocz.com/us/support/advanced-warranty From under warranties "After receipt of new replacement Product, please return to TOSHIBA the Product in accordance with TOSHIBA’s instructions, together with your return the original purchase receipt or a legiable copy. If TOSHIBA determines that a returned product is not subject to a valid warranty claim, TOSHIBA may require you to pay the costs of providing any replacement products or repair services."

For a company struggling with reputation they sure are making it harder and harder. They up and changed warranties once now they change it again. It could change again next week.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
They also now deny warranties by TBW: "Warranty is 5 years or the max TBW (total bytes written) per model capacity, whichever occurs first". (see under full specs on page here: http://ocz.com/us/ssd/vt180-ssd#show

Maybe I'm missing it, but the VT180 doesn't have a TBW spec, so that doesn't apply to those drives.

And you'd have to be using the drives a crazy amount to meet the TBW spec on the Trion drives. The 240GB would need 55GB a day written for the entire 3 years. If you are working the drive that hard, you're doing something wrong.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
You can't even download firmware updates for the old drives anymore. That's pretty wack. I won't be buying any Toshiba/OCZ products in the future.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
The Warranty Given at the time Goods are sold is the Warranty they should Legally ( Contractually ) adhere to, ( they may extend it but if they shorten it or reduce cover then surely they then are breaching the Sales Contract).

Then again you Americans are SCREWED when it comes to Consumer PROTECTION.

Class ACTION Lawsuit anyone ????

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I just got a RMA approved on a Vertex 4. Unfortunately I can't send it in to the service centre for another 3 weeks when a friend travels over to Australian. SSD's are on the list of prohibited items not allowed sent abroad :(

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
toshiba should just retire OCZ brand.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You can't even download firmware updates for the old drives anymore. That's pretty wack. I won't be buying any Toshiba/OCZ products in the future.

I just updated the firmware on one of my Trion 100 drives, so that isn't correct at all.

The Warranty Given at the time Goods are sold is the Warranty they should Legally ( Contractually ) adhere to, ( they may extend it but if they shorten it or reduce cover then surely they then are breaching the Sales Contract).

Then again you Americans are SCREWED when it comes to Consumer PROTECTION.

Class ACTION Lawsuit anyone ????

As far as I can tell, the warranty period hasn't changed. The OP just doesn't know what he is talking about. It would appear he has a Vector 180, which the page he linked to says still has a 5 year warranty. The page also says some drives warranties are also limited by the TBW, but since that spec doesn't exist on the Vector 180 it doesn't apply here(and it is almost impossible to exceed the TBW on a drive).

Last edited:
Processor i7-3770K
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Mouse Logitech G5
I just updated the firmware on one of my Trion 100 drives, so that isn't correct at all.

As far as I can tell, the warranty period hasn't changed. The OP just doesn't know what he is talking about. It would appear he has a Vector 180, which the page he linked to says still has a 5 year warranty. The page also says some drives warranties are also limited by the TBW, but since that spec doesn't exist on the Vector 180 it doesn't apply here(and it is almost impossible to exceed the TBW on a drive).

If I'm "not correct at all", let's see you post the link to the Vertex 4 1.5.1 firmware that was previously on their support page and listed in OCZ Tools.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Processor i7-3770K
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Mouse Logitech G5

You linked the utility software, that I already have, not a link to the firmware. Firmware updates, as far as I can tell, aren't included with the utility software, hence the option to update from the web or a file. See how it says "Up to date 1.5"? It previously said that version 1.5.1 was available when I checked a few weeks ago (it was also available on their website at that time). So the software is obviously checking their server somewhere and thinks it's "Up to date" because the updates are missing. I had to move some installations around and planned on updating it when I was ready, so when the time came I go to do it and it's gone. I checked their website and all of the older firmware updates are gone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.53.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.53.58 PM.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 684
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 5.09.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 5.09.33 PM.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 824
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 5.10.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 5.10.20 PM.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 643
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I dont think anyone would be surprised by "stealth" warranty changes from more reputable brands since they usually are on the ball and usually Honor previous warranties without any underlying BS or hassle to the customer over new changes. However, OCZ still has a bad rep from past bullshit warranty games, in my eyes, and it appears it could be starting all over again if what the OP says is true about these changes. Was there an announcement of any warranty changes?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You linked the utility software, that I already have, not a link to the firmware. Firmware updates, as far as I can tell, aren't included with the utility software, hence the option to update from the web or a file. See how it says "Up to date 1.5"? It previously said that version 1.5.1 was available when I checked a few weeks ago (it was also available on their website at that time). So the software is obviously checking their server somewhere and thinks it's "Up to date" because the updates are missing. I had to move some installations around and planned on updating it when I was ready, so when the time came I go to do it and it's gone. I checked their website and all of the older firmware updates are gone.

I thought you were talking about a Vertex 460, not an original Vertex 4. They announced they were only supporting those for a limited time as a courtesy when they acquired the OCZ name. The Vertex 4 is from a different company, Toshiba was nice enough to continue to offer up the downloads while they did. You're lucky you got support at all. You got 2 extra years of support for a drive they had absolutely no obligation at all to support.

Processor i7-3770K
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Mouse Logitech G5
I thought you were talking about a Vertex 460, not an original Vertex 4. They announced they were only supporting those for a limited time as a courtesy when they acquired the OCZ name. The Vertex 4 is from a different company, Toshiba was nice enough to continue to offer up the downloads while they did. You're lucky you got support at all. You got 2 extra years of support for a drive they had absolutely no obligation at all to support.

That's about the response I expected. I made it pretty clear that I was talking about a Vertex 4, so how you missed that, I'm not sure. Anyone reading the thread can probably see that. At this point, I'm pretty sure we can agree that I was right and I was correct and that you were wrong. I don't expect an apology and will be the bigger man and walk way.

I bought this drive a little over 3 years ago and it was sold to me with a 5 year warranty, so I'm not sure where you are coming up with that nonsense about me being "lucky". Hell, from everything I see, they still are willing to support the warranty on the hardware, if I have a problem with it. If a company that I bought it from, or the company that buys that company, can't support their side of the deal, I'm done with them. It's rather dirty and pathetic that they can't host the support information and firmware updates, at the very least. Just about everyone here at TPU is knowledgable enough about computers and web hosting to know that hosting that kind of information costs a company like Toshiba next to nothing. I've purchased 4 Samsung SSDs, since I bought the Vertex 4, and that's where my future money will be going.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Unfortunately, that is just the legalities of it man. I am with you though that I feel it's lame that companies are allowed to aquire complete brands without honoring their respective warranties, and personally feel that should not be legal... But it is.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
That's about the response I expected. I made it pretty clear that I was talking about a Vertex 4, so how you missed that, I'm not sure. Anyone reading the thread can probably see that. At this point, I'm pretty sure we can agree that I was right and I was correct and that you were wrong. I don't expect an apology and will be the bigger man and walk way.

Your first post made no mention of what SSD you were talking about. Your second one did say Vertex 4, but I figured no one would be that stupid to try to argue Toshiba is in the wrong for not supporting a Vertex 4 anymore.

I bought this drive a little over 3 years ago and it was sold to me with a 5 year warranty, so I'm not sure where you are coming up with that nonsense about me being "lucky". Hell, from everything I see, they still are willing to support the warranty on the hardware, if I have a problem with it.

You are lucky because you bought the drive from a company that does not exist anymore. A company that went out of business in Aug-2014. Toshiba had no obligation to continue to support your drive, or honor its warranty. The OCZ we have today, the OCZ that Toshiba created, isn't the same company that made and sold your SSD, it doesn't even have the same name.

If a company that I bought it from, or the company that buys that company, can't support their side of the deal, I'm done with them.

Except Toshiba didn't buy the original OCZ company. They bought their assets, as in IP and manufacturing equipment. The original OCZ(offically names OCZ Technology Group) company continued on after that. The company itself was not bought by Toshiba. Toshiba created a new company called OCZ Storage Solutions. Just because they both have OCZ in the name doesn't make them the same company.

Unfortunately, that is just the legalities of it man. I am with you though that I feel it's lame that companies are allowed to aquire complete brands without honoring their respective warranties, and personally feel that should not be legal... But it is.

Sadly they didn't acquire the complete brand. They bought assets related to storage from the company, not the company itself. The company itself continued on independently of Toshiba for about a year after Toshiba bought the assets before going completely under. That is why Toshiba had no obligation to support or warranty any of the original drives sold by the old OCZ Technology Group. The fact that they did was lucky for owners of those SSDs. There are plenty of cases of tech companies going under and customers losing support completely. Just look at BFG, I got screwed royally when they suddenly just closed up shop...