• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd intermittent WiFi issue on Intel 9560 NIC

System Name Inspiron 15 7590 2in1
Processor Intel Core i7-8565U
Memory 16GB DDR3 SODIMM (Stock)
Video Card(s) Intel UHD Graphics 620 + Nvidia GeForce MX250
Storage 512GB Intel H10 w/ 32GB Optane cache
Display(s) AU Optronics 4K 2160p IPS
Power Supply 68Wh battery + 90W charger
Mouse integrated touchpad
Keyboard integrated keyboard
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Highest Cinebench R15 is 810, but usually mid 720-790 range (resurrected from 420s by ThrottleStop)
My laptop (listed in my profile's system specs) has been having on and off some weird behavior when trying to connect to WiFi. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get it to connect to my campus WiFi network, other times the WiFi card (Intel 9560) flat out disappears and re-appears (the normal network flyout goes blank, and the legacy Win8-style one I enabled tells me the network device is missing, then a few seconds later it is back usually but not always it lets me connect after an attempt or two). This has been an issue since mid summer and is rapidly getting worse. It is not just under Windows though. I was on a skype call (using my desktop to make the call) today with a family member and tried to demonstrate Tails, which I have had work fine with the WiFi card on my laptop last time I tried), and it found the network but kept again and again try to connect and repeatedly asking to confirm my credentials. The WiFi network is not an issue as we have had multiple massive network upgrades this year due to the coronavirus causing bandwidth needs to elevate and it works *perfectly* on my cell phones (Murata and Samsung Wifi chips) and desktop (Realtek RTL8821CE). I'm suspecting it might possibly be that the card is failing after just over a year, and if so I might consider trying to change it myself if I have the right tools (otherwise it is back to the guy that changed my fan and thermal paste a month ago). Any community input on this issue would be great. Gone are the days of my childhood when consumer laptops much cheaper than the one I currently have functioned with no maintenance for at least 3-6 years before any issues showed up :(

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
It's probably dying. Time to replace it with AX200, they are getting ridiculously cheap.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Try upgrading the driver, Intel has some dodgy WiFi drivers sometimes.
You might not be able to change the WiFi module, depending on your laptop, as it might be soldered down.
If you have certain brands of notebooks, then you also need a module originally sold by that company or their whitelist won't allow it.

As a side note, Murata doesn't make WiFi chips they package other manufacturers WiFi chips into their own modules. Usually Broadcom, although these days it's more likely to be Cypress, as they bought that division from Broadcom.

System Name Inspiron 15 7590 2in1
Processor Intel Core i7-8565U
Memory 16GB DDR3 SODIMM (Stock)
Video Card(s) Intel UHD Graphics 620 + Nvidia GeForce MX250
Storage 512GB Intel H10 w/ 32GB Optane cache
Display(s) AU Optronics 4K 2160p IPS
Power Supply 68Wh battery + 90W charger
Mouse integrated touchpad
Keyboard integrated keyboard
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Highest Cinebench R15 is 810, but usually mid 720-790 range (resurrected from 420s by ThrottleStop)
Thanks for the info. I will try the driver update as I put old drivers when re-installing Windows in hopes of fixing some performance issues I had (kind worked), but hopefully the update fixes it. Had newer drivers before the re-install and that also had issue to say the least. Will try getting the drivers from Intel if possible as I have had mixed experiences with Dell OEM drivers (for example, their Nvidia drivers suck big time compared to the GeForce Experience ones)

Edit: And yeah the card is removable and easily so with tools I already have so if it comes down to the worst then I can repair this myself...

Edit 2: Seems to be working. Will report back if it misbehaves again. Looks like getting drivers from Dell ain't the best idea after all.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Glad you got it fixed. Keep in mind that OEMs don't always have the latest or best drivers, so when possible, get drivers from the manufacturer.