• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd Issue with X58 System

System Name Main Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Memory 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Oh great and wise TPU community, I come to you asking for help. Heh, so, ok, my problem is that I have an older X58 system containing the following:

i7 920 (cooled with a Corsair H100i V2)
ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe (running 1202 BIOS)
12GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
ASUS Strix GTX 980
Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Is that for a long time, the system has been working perfectly, then recently I was given an older Intel Xeon X5690 and ever since I installed it, the rig has been having strange issues. From what I can see, randomly at POST, it’s not detecting all of my RAM, but when it does and I get into Windows, it will just randomly blue screen.

So, I’m thinking the issue may be caused by the new CPU, I put my old 920 back in, and the same problem appears to be occurring. When I have all my RAM sticks in (6x2GB), the machine will sometimes detect 12GB & other times, it’ll only detect around 8GB. I’ve also pulled the BIOS battery, left the machine off AC for 24 hours, put a fresh battery in and powered on but problem still persists.

I’m currently running Memtest on 1 stick at a time to see if I can pin down a dodgy stick but I was wondering if anyone could recommend I do something or if they have seen a similar problem before, to point me in the right direction.

I would welcome and very much appreciate any feedback and suggestions (I will apologise in advance if I am delayed in putting updates or responding to your comments, I’m in Australia so there’ll be a time difference)

Cheers!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check your cpu socket for any problems (bent pins, dust, etc.).
And, make sure the cooler is installed correctly... not lob-sided or to tight, just right.
Remove ram and clean out sockets with canned air. Clean up connector on the ram modules reseat. Test.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Yeah, pins came into my mind also as the possible problem. It's not uncommon to have issues with RAM slots and PCI-E slots* when there's problems with bent/shitty pins on Intel platform.

*X58 has PCI-E on its chipset so it doesn't have those problems, but later sockets do have.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
According to the CPU QVL (qualified vendors list) for your motherboard, that board does not support the X5960. So it should never have been tried in it. I have never seen it personally, but I have heard claims from other trusted techs that using an unsupported processor that required different voltages, even slightly different as seen with these two processors, resulted in permanent damage to the motherboard bus/chipset due to excessive current demands through those devices. :( And I have seen personally where clients fried unsupported CPUs due to those processors being exposed to unsupported voltages. :( I am not saying that is what happened here, I am just saying it is important to check motherboard QVLs and only use listed CPUs. Just because the socket is the same, that in no way means the CPU is supported.

Since the RAM was working before, I don't see how that would be it. Same with the PCI-e sockets. But it would not hurt to clean them - if done properly. An old tech's trick is to gently use a "clean" pencil erasure on the contacts of the sticks, then a quick blast of compressed air to remove any erasure crumbs. Be sure to observe careful ESD precautions and NEVER EVER touch the electrical contacts of the RAM sticks with your fingers. Always handle by the PCB edges. You can use a acid brush and short squirt with some quality electrical contact cleaner. A crisp, new and "clean" folded dollar bill run through the RAM and PCIe slots after a quick squirt with contact cleaner works great for cleaning too - in place of the brush.

Since you pulled the CMOS battery and left the computer unplugged for 24 hours (15 - 30 seconds would have been enough), that took care of resetting the BIOS, which would have been my suggestion after checking for pin damage. I am concerned that didn't work as that suggests something more permanent to me. :(

So that leaves ESD. Did you take the essential ESD precautions before removing and/or replacing the CPUs? That is, was the computer unplugged from the wall and did you touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in and BEFORE touching the processors, and frequently in between?

The problem with ESD (electrostatic discharges) is ESD sensitive devices like processors and memory modules and other high density ICs (like the chipset!) is they can be destroyed by a discharge from your finger tip that is so tiny you (as a human being) are unable to see, hear or feel that a discharge even occurred. Yet that discharge (arc, spark, microscopic lightning bolt :eek:) has enough potential (voltage) to torch a Grand Canyon size trench (microscopically speaking) through 1000s and even millions of transistor gates in those devices. And note you can easily build up such destructive static electricity potentials in your body just sitting in your chair, squirming in your clothes.

Sadly, you are now in a Catch-22 situation. You need to try those processors in compatible motherboards to see if they still work. But you risk damaging those motherboards if those processors have been damaged. And you risk damaging another CPU if you try another CPU in this motherboard. :kookoo:
I’m currently running Memtest on 1 stick at a time to see if I can pin down a dodgy stick but I was wondering if anyone could recommend I do something or if they have seen a similar problem before, to point me in the right direction.
I would probably test them in pairs, one pair at a time as that will test them in dual-channel mode.

Make sure it is this MemTest86. There are several memory testers out there with very similar names that came from the same original source code. But MemTest86 from PassMark is the only one under constant development to ensure support for the latest RAM and motherboard technologies. Run it through several passes or even overnight. If you get even one error, the RAM is bad.

That said, NO software based memory tester is 100% conclusive. As noted, if they report any errors, even one, the RAM is bad. But it is not uncommon for them to report no problems, yet the RAM still fails in use, and/or when paired with other RAM. So, swapping in all new RAM is often the best test - but of course, not everyone has a bunch of spare RAM laying around. So you might try running with just a single RAM stick (or pair of sticks) in normal Windows mode to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination. Just be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching for the RAM to discharge any destructive static in your body.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
OP no mention fresh Windows install.
No mention memory set to 1333. Starting point.
Old overclock no worky worky the same with Xeon chip.
All ram slots populated, no mention of voltage bump.
No mention if X5690 came from server pull or it was overclocked to death in private hands.

Missing LOTS of pertinent info.

I echo the previous suggestions: P6T Deluxe V2 should support WSM, check socket pins/cpu pads, reset BIOS to defaults, set RAM to 1066/1333 for 6x modules. Also try 1x DDR3 module per channel @ lower speed & increase if stable.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
According to the CPU QVL (qualified vendors list) for your motherboard, that board does not support the X5960. So it should never have been tried in it. I have never seen it personally, but I have heard claims from other trusted techs that using an unsupported processor that required different voltages, even slightly different as seen with these two processors, resulted in permanent damage to the motherboard bus/chipset due to excessive current demands through those devices. :( And I have seen personally where clients fried unsupported CPUs due to those processors being exposed to unsupported voltages. :( I am not saying that is what happened here, I am just saying it is important to check motherboard QVLs and only use listed CPUs. Just because the socket is the same, that in no way means the CPU is supported.

Since the RAM was working before, I don't see how that would be it. Same with the PCI-e sockets. But it would not hurt to clean them - if done properly. An old tech's trick is to gently use a "clean" pencil erasure on the contacts of the sticks, then a quick blast of compressed air to remove any erasure crumbs. Be sure to observe careful ESD precautions and NEVER EVER touch the electrical contacts of the RAM sticks with your fingers. Always handle by the PCB edges. You can use a acid brush and short squirt with some quality electrical contact cleaner. A crisp, new and "clean" folded dollar bill run through the RAM and PCIe slots after a quick squirt with contact cleaner works great for cleaning too - in place of the brush.

Since you pulled the CMOS battery and left the computer unplugged for 24 hours (15 - 30 seconds would have been enough), that took care of resetting the BIOS, which would have been my suggestion after checking for pin damage. I am concerned that didn't work as that suggests something more permanent to me. :(

So that leaves ESD. Did you take the essential ESD precautions before removing and/or replacing the CPUs? That is, was the computer unplugged from the wall and did you touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in and BEFORE touching the processors, and frequently in between?

The problem with ESD (electrostatic discharges) is ESD sensitive devices like processors and memory modules and other high density ICs (like the chipset!) is they can be destroyed by a discharge from your finger tip that is so tiny you (as a human being) are unable to see, hear or feel that a discharge even occurred. Yet that discharge (arc, spark, microscopic lightning bolt :eek:) has enough potential (voltage) to torch a Grand Canyon size trench (microscopically speaking) through 1000s and even millions of transistor gates in those devices. And note you can easily build up such destructive static electricity potentials in your body just sitting in your chair, squirming in your clothes.

Sadly, you are now in a Catch-22 situation. You need to try those processors in compatible motherboards to see if they still work. But you risk damaging those motherboards if those processors have been damaged. And you risk damaging another CPU if you try another CPU in this motherboard. :kookoo:
I would probably test them in pairs, one pair at a time as that will test them in dual-channel mode.

Make sure it is this MemTest86. There are several memory testers out there with very similar names that came from the same original source code. But MemTest86 from PassMark is the only one under constant development to ensure support for the latest RAM and motherboard technologies. Run it through several passes or even overnight. If you get even one error, the RAM is bad.

That said, NO software based memory tester is 100% conclusive. As noted, if they report any errors, even one, the RAM is bad. But it is not uncommon for them to report no problems, yet the RAM still fails in use, and/or when paired with other RAM. So, swapping in all new RAM is often the best test - but of course, not everyone has a bunch of spare RAM laying around. So you might try running with just a single RAM stick (or pair of sticks) in normal Windows mode to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination. Just be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching for the RAM to discharge any destructive static in your body.
A lot of boards didn’t list support for Xeon Processors but they still worked

I used a Xeon X5650 @4.6GHz with a ASUS P6T Deluxe with no issues after a BIOs mod to support more voltage

CPU support list isn’t always instensive

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
1) 6x2GB RAM will require more QPI/DRAM Voltage (1,3V should do it).
If missing memory keep insisting, try using lower DRAM Frequency and/or manual timings (including tRFC), and voltage.
2) ALWAYS Update BIOS to latest version for best CPU/RAM support.
3) You don't have to reinstall windows because you switched CPUs or installed more RAM.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Have you tried cleaning the sticks and slots with alcohol?
I get pretty much the same problem with my X58 HTPC and the only way I ever get it working is by re-cleaning all the contacts, though it doesn't always work.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
According to the CPU QVL (qualified vendors list) for your motherboard, that board does not support the X5960. So it should never have been tried in it.

I have just Built a ASUS P6T Deluxe with a X5690 and it works Flawlessly (and water Cooled)
almost all retail Vendor Manafactures do not list Xeon Compatability yet they work................>> and that also goes for the workstation CPU's

You go thru the QVL list for Ram and ECC is not supported ( i got the manual open in front of me page 2-13 section 2.4.2)
Yet if you install a Xeon you can use DDR3 ECC (yeh bill we know why but tell us anyway :))

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A lot of boards didn’t list support for Xeon Processors but they still worked
Not the point. The point of the QVLs for both RAM and CPUs is to list devices that have been tested and verified as compatible. Just because something works, does not mean it is 100% compatible.

But to your point, it doesn't make a point. That CPU is not listed and it does not work on that board. We just don't know why. The fact dorsetknob has the same board and CPU and it works is, however, a good sign. Same BIOS version?

(yeh bill we know why)
Yeah, but RAM is a bit different. There are just too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM. But if you want to be assured of compatibility, you should still buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Check your cpu socket for any problems (bent pins, dust, etc.).
And, make sure the cooler is installed correctly... not lob-sided or to tight, just right.
Remove ram and clean out sockets with canned air. Clean up connector on the ram modules reseat. Test.
Yeah, when I removed the Xeon CPU and put my original i7 back in, I looked at the pins on the mobo thoroughly and they all looked good. When I pull it out again today, I'll take a couple photos, post them up and see if anyone can point out something I've missed. I'll also def do the RAM contacts and try to do the sockets.

OP no mention fresh Windows install.
No mention memory set to 1333. Starting point.
Old overclock no worky worky the same with Xeon chip.
All ram slots populated, no mention of voltage bump.
No mention if X5690 came from server pull or it was overclocked to death in private hands.
When I booted up the Xeon CPU, the machine was configured with the default XMP profile and trying to run the RAM at 1333, but that didn't work so I switched all BIOS settings back to defaults and the RAM is currently trying to run only at 1066. I haven't manually adjusted any voltages and I didn't have any OC applied to the i7 CPU. As I understand it, the X5690 came from a server pull. Also, no, I was using an existing Windows 10 install, I didn't believe there a need for a fresh install just by changing the CPU.

Missing RAM on X58: Reinstall the CPU on the socket and make sure all pins aren't bent.
Yep, I'll pull the i7 again and have a more detailed look. Perhaps I missed something, but tbh, I'm very careful with this sort of thing anyway and I wouldn't jam shit in.

I have just Built a ASUS P6T Deluxe with a X5690 and it works Flawlessly (and water Cooled)
almost all retail Vendor Manafactures do not list Xeon Compatability yet they work................>> and that also goes for the workstation CPU's

You go thru the QVL list for Ram and ECC is not supported ( i got the manual open in front of me page 2-13 section 2.4.2)
Yet if you install a Xeon you can use DDR3 ECC (yeh bill we know why but tell us anyway :))
Yeah, like, before I even attempted this new CPU, I did quite a bit of reading and the general consensus was that yes, the CPU should have just worked without me needing to dick around too much.

But as said, I'll pull the CPU again, check the pins/take some photos and post up so a 2nd or many sets of eyes can see if I'm missing anything. Will also pull the RAM and clean their contacts and try to clean out the slots too.

Cheers for all the suggestions, I'll update once I've had the chance to do this.

EDIT 1: Ok so I’ve taken some pics of the CPU socket/pins and of the bottom of the CPU itself. To me, there doesn’t look like anything is a problem there.

EDIT 2: And I've also cleaned all of the contacts of each RAM stick and blasted the slots with air to clean any dust out. Issue still remains.

Attachments

• BFDB1830-C97F-4753-B4CF-0C9E7680E7B8.jpeg
    BFDB1830-C97F-4753-B4CF-0C9E7680E7B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 905
  • 784E6D9B-1CD7-414D-A6BA-A01B397E45E6.jpeg
    784E6D9B-1CD7-414D-A6BA-A01B397E45E6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 773
  • E185B899-3FA8-4ED9-94A5-6966B13CA481.jpeg
    E185B899-3FA8-4ED9-94A5-6966B13CA481.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 736
  • 995705A1-758A-4B79-9A2D-DE5EDED29416.jpeg
    995705A1-758A-4B79-9A2D-DE5EDED29416.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 808
  • E56C920C-C969-497C-B1E3-64DB56CB75F2.jpeg
    E56C920C-C969-497C-B1E3-64DB56CB75F2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I thought I would bump my post for those who previously commented to see if you have any further suggestions for me? Am I screwed?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Socket and CPU appear to be OK, swap sticks of Ram around and ensure they are in the correct slots for triple channel, also do not over tighten the CPU cooler as this can case Ram issues.
You may have to reflash the boards BIOS just to be sure it was done correctly.

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Socket and CPU appear to be OK, swap sticks of Ram around and ensure they are in the correct slots for triple channel, also do not over tighten the CPU cooler as this can case Ram issues.
You may have to reflash the boards BIOS just to be sure it was done correctly.
Yeah, I've been trying to swap the sticks around and the results are inconsistent. Sometimes the rig will detect the full 12GB, other times, only the 8GB. And yes, I also did reflash the bios to 1202 to see if it would fix this, but problem still is occurring.

I have a friend who has a machine with very similar specs and he's dropping it off with me tomorrow so I can pull the RAM from his machine and try it in mine to see if doing that will fix it. If it does, then I, somehow, need to get new triple channel RAM here in Australia...I don't know how that'll go...

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Last time I had a similar issue, I solved it like this: install AIDA64, when the system fails to recognize all memory, launch it and go to Computer > DMI, and check exactly which module and slot cause problems. In my case, it was faulty memory.

Second photo, lower right quadrant, pins look crescent shaped depressed. Surface corrosion? May be just camera artifact though. There's a bit of dust, so give it a bit of a blow out or gently dislodge with a brush if required. Maybe isopropyl/pcb cleaner/flux remover for socket caps too. Do as Caring1 suggests. Disable XMP & run RAM @ 1066. Will it detect 3x modules reliably?

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Your problems started when you changed cpu and when you putted your 920 you had problems still so it's issue with pins on mobo maybe some of them are more depressed than usual and not making good contact always because i don't see other issue than this, btw i have p6t V2 deluxe and 920+X5650 but i am now using other mobo, so look for depressed pins and you can raise them with needle of syringe but you must be very careful.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
Is it possible that the Xeon was faulty and has damaged your motherboard?

The issues remain with your i7 920 put back in so it seems to me that the root of the problem is that the Xeon was the beginning of the issues - therefore the cause.

If possible I'd try a bios flash as a last resort, but I'd say bad Xeon damaged your MB.

System Name War Daddy
Processor Intel Core i7-950 @4.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Cryorig R1
Memory 3x4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 570 8GB
Storage Segate barcuda 2TB
Display(s) SAMSUNG S24C750
Case Corsair carbide spec 03
Power Supply EVGA G3 650W
I once had a very similar issue on my lga775 P5Q-E mobo, I tried everything with no help!
In a desperate attempt to give my PC the kiss of life, I cut off the power completely of the mobo, here's what I've done..
First, I plugged out the power cord, disconnected the 24 pin & 8 pin cables.
Second, I removed the cmos battery.
Lastly I started to press the power on button like ten times then I held it for seconds. After that I left my PC for maybe an hour, that's of course not a role model but I'm telling my story.
My motherboard get rid of all of the residing power and that solved my problem I hope it'll solve yours.

Do that after you have exhausted all of your options.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I once had a very similar issue on my lga775 P5Q-E mobo, I tried everything with no help!
In a desperate attempt to give my PC the kiss of life, I cut off the power completely of the mobo, here's what I've done..
First, I plugged out the power cord, disconnected the 24 pin & 8 pin cables.
Second, I removed the cmos battery.
Lastly I started to press the power on button like ten times then I held it for seconds. After that I left my PC for maybe an hour, that's of course not a role model but I'm telling my story.
My motherboard get rid of all of the residing power and that solved my problem I hope it'll solve yours.

Do that after you have exhausted all of your options.
In LGA775 the CPU didn't have a memory controller etc, so tips from those era motherboards aren't 100% working

System Name War Daddy
Processor Intel Core i7-950 @4.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Cryorig R1
Memory 3x4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 570 8GB
Storage Segate barcuda 2TB
Display(s) SAMSUNG S24C750
Case Corsair carbide spec 03
Power Supply EVGA G3 650W
In LGA775 the CPU didn't have a memory controller etc, so tips from those era motherboards aren't 100% working
I agree but he got nothing to lose. As I've said he should give it a try after exhausting all the options.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
OK, I actually have and am running a X58 system right now, unlike most of the people here that were probably in elementary school when X58 came out and now all they spew is crap like "crappy Intel pins", "not on the QVL list", etc, etc. That QVL list was released when the X58 and the i7s first came out. The X58 boards were updated with Xeon support in the later BIOSes. QVL lists don't get updated that often if at all. Only since Ryzen came out did they have to update them because ram support was so bad.

ANYWAY, I had a similar problem before where suddenly my RAM would disappear when I go change my cooler. Now I think you did what I did already but here's what I did. I pulled all my memory and plugged them back in to different slots. When it didn't work I would go in to the BIOS and see when ram slots it saw ram in and what it didn't. I would then pull those RAM and switch them with each other then see. Rise repeat. Eventually I got all 6 sticks recognized by the board.

What blue screen are you getting? Are you overclocking?

I think the RAM issues are because the board is tired.