1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Offensive to a Black person?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by F-22, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    has F-22 been banned? About f*cking time if he has, the guy is a total _______ (enter expletive here)

3991vhtes says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    Munkul - That they take offense to words. Like the woman that F-22 was talking about, how she was unsure of if to call the guy black or not, thinking it would be insulting. It's stupid. There was a guy over on the RelicNews community forums who told a happening he had whilst helping his local church moving some books and etc. Whilst he was minding his language and all for the whole day he was there, just as they were packing up he dropped something heavy onto his foot by accident (obviously) and yelled out what most people yell and everyone stopped, looked at him with open mouths and gasped, like they were in the presence of an anti-christ. Even though he apologised for the out burst so as to not offend them entirely, the priest or whatever he was asked him if he had thought of seeking Jesus.

I dunno about you but I wouldn't yell out "Oh sweet sugar plums, I dropped 30kg of books onto my my foot, isn't that a bother and a fiddle". So can you kind of see what I meant by relating to that now?

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Why was F-22 Banned?

4. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    that makes sense now :)

but "no he fucking doesnt" wasnt called for, really.

although i realize im getting wound up about that, cos im christian myself. i dont subscribe to catholic belief (or any popular denomination for that matter) though.

for instance, one of my best mates always made a point of trying not to blaspheme in my presence, even though i never asked him to. (swearing - i couldnt give a shit)

i suppose its just about giving people respect, "live and let live" (apart from extremist terrorists, they can all die) as long as you dont deliberately offend, or affect, others, with your own way of living.

your own example was fair enough, though :D

have i made sense? :ohwell:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely understand that point. As far as someone acting racially towards me, no big deal, it really doesn't bother me . ..

but the one thing that will get me pissed off in a heartbeat is someone trying to pass their religious propaganda to me, or start preaching their "good word"

Honestly, if I was that interested enough to actually give a shit - I'd go to their denominational church and talk with the pastor. I'm sure he can explain their faith a lot better than some sidewalk zealot.

6. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ yeah that, too

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you even know the person felt uncomfortable.... I would think that making posts like this, helps makes it a uncomfortable situation.

explanation :
    Another person is in this exact same situation... in which the person is pointed out by the color of his shirt ,which happens all the time regardless of color..... and in this instance truly was harmless.... normally he would think nothing of it, because it happens no matter what race.

Now, this same person just read this thread....

And he goes back to a very similar situation and is pointed out by the color of his shirt (again, harmlessly) and now he feels uncomfortable because he has this thread in the back of his mind.... wondering weather or not this person doesnt know how to describe someone without being racist.

We are all educated people, I think we can all think of ways to describe someone and not have to worry about it.

8. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure why F-22 was banned... can't see any comments or anything there.

I know it's inconvenient/annoying when people come to your door, or try to stop you on the street. I try to look at it this way, it's people enjoying the religious freedom that is constitutionally guaranteed them (at least in this country), however unpleasant it might be at times for other people.

Last time I was down in Madison, WI near the university grabbing a bite to eat, I saw 2 atheists debating (more like berating) an evangelical street preacher. So it really goes both ways, everyone has their own believes and ideals, whether they are religious, anti-religious, political, etc and IMO we should never discourage the public display or expression of these things, lest we lapse into a government controlled religious vacuum, akin to communism in that respect.

People will always try to share their beliefs with other people…. It has always been this way, is today, and as far as I can see will continue to be indefinitely. If you believe you understand the truth (correspondent truth) of any given thing, you may feel a need to share it, or indeed an obligation to share it. If we silence people who do this, we are inviting ideological tyranny and repression.

My 2 cents.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. RobJean New Member

Thanks Received:
    When we're all dark skinned in the future,
    Racism will not exist - it will just be Hatred for another person.

Human nature i suppose.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish the topic of racism would just die, like F-22 did. Seriously people, it's completely fucking retarded. I just love it when I see some ass making racist remarks in front of me when they don't know I have a black father. Love breaking thier jaw!

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

I understand where you are coming from.... but what surprises me is that for someone who obviously understands how using a slur in any means makes you feel... Why would you use the word "retarded". Don't you think someone that is mentally handicapped or a someone with a personal relationship with a handicapped person would take offense to this, just as you would a racist slur?

erocker says thanks.
  12. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cause he was being cocky to the mods in DaMulta's earth is growing thread, and was constantly arguing w/ mods :)

13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well people, lets not be assholes to someone, even if he/she was an asshole

14. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I completely understand that point - but when it comes to religion, majority opinion or not, there needs to be a line drawn at some point.

The situation you described is a very, very rare occurance. The majority of the time it's the other way around.

How would the majority of the US feel if people like me walked door to door, or stopped people in the mall to pass along some kind of "anti-christian" fliers? What kind of reaction is appropriate if I started talking with their children about how their God is a vengeful, deceitful God and not the loving and caring deity they claim *him* to be? Is it appropriate for me to stop people coming out of a christian store to explain to them that Jesus will be their own anti-christ during the Second Comming? Or how about setting up a protest on the street corner nearby a devotional gathering? Maybe passing out fliers after a mass pointing out all the chrisitan beliefs that have been borrowed from pagan religions is alright?

If I, or any other non-believer, heretic, heathen, pagan or non-christian were to do any of the above things, it'd be all over the news (exxaggeration, but you get my point)!

The US was partly founded on freedom of religion - any religion. You have the freedom and the right to belive what you wish, and to practive what you wish - as long as your practices don't infringe on another's rights.

Oh, and for anyone that might be curious while we've kinda gotten sidetracked to religion . . . paganism (an umbrella term that covers quite a few "old" religions, Wicca being one of them) is the fastest growing religion in the US. Current pagan followers in the US are estimated at about 1% of the total population, which places it within to the 10 most popular religions in the US. In 1990, the estimated number of practicing pagans in the US was about 8,000, but as of 2000, pagan believers are estimated at closer to 150,000. The growth of the religion is estimated to near about double every year at this point, although it's hard to pin point a specific number of followers due to the fact that the majority of believers practice behind closed doors. It's estimated that by the year 2015, paganism could be the 3rd most popular religion within the US, and despite all these facts, the US Congress has made no attempts to recognize the religion, nor do they appear as if they will intend to.

And, sadly, the vast majority of practicing pagans must carry out their beliefs behind closed doors - normally for fear of potential setbacks at work, losing friends or having family memebers distance themselves. Many employers do not recognize pagan holidays as acceptable for time off from work, nor do public schooling systems recognize these days as acceptable for non-attendance. Although many large pagan organizations are attempting to advocate and educate people as to what their religion is (entirelly different than other religion's zealots), many people continue to view paganism as Satan worship or worse.

IMO, religious tolerance nowadays needs to be more addressed than racism.

15. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Man, welcome to the club. I come from a mixed-race family, im mixed race myself, half Caribbean half English and what have you. When someone makes racist remarks in front of me, yeah it really ticks me off, but it also allows us to 'infiltrate' (For lack of a better word) the way people act when there's no 'black guy' around. It allows me personally to see that, while people do make such comments, they don't always mean anything by it. I find thats the hardest thing - trying to figure out whether someone actually means what they're saying, or whether they're just pissing around. Most of the time, its the latter, but it still shows how ignorant they are.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    All the while 'mega' religions like Christianity pull the strings of the West, i can't see that happening much. Ironic, since Paganism is, as im sure you know, very well rooted in Christianity. But thats a whole other can of worms.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

True, christianity is technically our 3rd political party here - they're already starting to bring the religious views of our up and coming presidential candidates into play :rolleyes:

BTW, you did mean that Christianity is well-rooted in paganism, right? Not sure if I interpreted the other statement correctly.

18. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I think Huxley meant it the other way round. That many Chistian "tranditions" are actually a refresh of pagan traditions.

The truth in that fact doesnt however knock the value of Christianity and that it provides a moral guide for how to live our lives.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    true - but then again . . . all religions, for the most part, are a moral code of ethics that should be followed. Just because Joe Shmoe is a Catholic and believes in God and Jesus doesn't mean that Yaweh's or Allah's way of doing things is wrong.

as Wiccans would put it: "An ye harm none, do as ye will"

20. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, I asked my buddy, which is black, today at work, If I had to tell someone who you were and told them you were the black guy would you be offended. He said "how the hell else are you supposed to do it when im the only black guy here? Wouldnt that be the quickest way?"

21. erocker

Thanks Received:
    You are absolutely right! I should of used a better word for sure. The word retarded could be a definition of the mentalitly of racists. Mentally hadicapped people should never be called retarded and is a word best suited for racists anyway.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Ghey!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope try again! :slap:

24. hat