• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Official] HP Reverb G2

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

Tested HP Reverb G2 review,...

Processor Intel i7-9700 @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
Storage (2) SATA
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 34" Gaming Monitor
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
A quick update: The mystery of the blanking out issue I have been experiencing with the G2 headset in Elite Dangerous has been SOLVED! For those that did not see the earlier post, I was experiencing a repeatable issue in Elite Dangerous whereby whenever I exited or entered a station, or at various times during battle, my G2 headset would go black for several seconds, then come back to life. Because this did not seem to happen in other games, I was beginning to think that the issue was specific to Elite Dangerous, or that I had a defective unit – maybe it was going into thermal cutoff or something like that… but I did some more research today and happen to come across a video posted by Mark from RAD Computers (
). In his video he talked specifically about this issue with the G2 headset. He described that because the headset speakers draw a lot of power, if you have your volume set too high (>96% in his tests), the lens displays will go black whenever there are low bass notes or sustained musical notes/sound effects in the game.

So sure enough, I went back into the game, lowered my volume to 75%, and the blanking stopped. According to Mark, this problem has been reported to HP and to the Connection support team (supplier), and hopefully a firmware update will be provided in the near future that will address this. I hope this is helpful to other owners/future owners.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
A quick update: The mystery of the blanking out issue I have been experiencing with the G2 headset in Elite Dangerous has been SOLVED! For those that did not see the earlier post, I was experiencing a repeatable issue in Elite Dangerous whereby whenever I exited or entered a station, or at various times during battle, my G2 headset would go black for several seconds, then come back to life. Because this did not seem to happen in other games, I was beginning to think that the issue was specific to Elite Dangerous, or that I had a defective unit – maybe it was going into thermal cutoff or something like that… but I did some more research today and happen to come across a video posted by Mark from RAD Computers (
). In his video he talked specifically about this issue with the G2 headset. He described that because the headset speakers draw a lot of power, if you have your volume set too high (>96% in his tests), the lens displays will go black whenever there are low bass notes or sustained musical notes/sound effects in the game.

So sure enough, I went back into the game, lowered my volume to 75%, and the blanking stopped. According to Mark, this problem has been reported to HP and to the Connection support team (supplier), and hopefully a firmware update will be provided in the near future that will address this. I hope this is helpful to other owners/future owners.

Well I hope a firmware update can address it.

I'm no expert but it sounds like a hardware problem.

I wonder if you can connect a different audio solution, get the audio fidelity (volume) that you want and sidestep this issue altogether (like earbuds).

Memory 16GB
Storage (2) SATA
Actually, I've been able to up the volume to 85% now without issue, and it is loud enough for me, so all is good.

rss334

How do you turn this headset off, once SteamVR is closed and Windows Mixed Reality the HP light on the front stays on and the headset continues to produce heat although the screens are black you can tell they are still on. Please tell me you don't need to unplug it ?

Memory 16GB
Storage (2) SATA
How do you turn this headset off, once SteamVR is closed and Windows Mixed Reality the HP light on the front stays on and the headset continues to produce heat although the screens are black you can tell they are still on. Please tell me you don't need to unplug it ?
I don't believe there is a way to manually turn the headset off, but once the headset sits idle for 10 minutes it goes to sleep. You'll see a message in the portal indicating this. The front "hp" logo light will stay ON, but because it seems to cool down after this I believe power is removed from the rest of the headset. This is all just observation of course...
1606280167261.png

mrbungle83

I'm having a nightmare with my G2, the stuttering is unbearable I use it for Assetto Corsa Competizione and it is just not a nice experience, the game stutters in the menu so I'm not even talking about FPS issues I have RTX 3080 Founders, i7 9700k, 16GB G.Skill 3600mhz, Installed on HyperX SSD performance seems fine in the WMR Home screen. Going back to my Rift S for now.

Original1984

I’ve had enough

Our site stated if you ordered the Headset Only option, it will be with you before Christmas. Not the option with controller. We have some more stock coming in on Monday but its only enough to fulfil orders with controllers made between 1stAugust and 30th October.

We don’t have foresight of when the next batch will be delivered, but we expect now it will be January.

If you wish to cancel your order, then please confirm you would like to do so, and I will action it and issue a refund. Otherwise we will send an update when we have information regarding the next shipment.

Thanks

Yes I will be cancelling!!!

Marlin59

Hi, I'm having a similar nightmare to mrbungle83 with stuttering, blurring and artifacts in MSFS2020. I also get a constant shimmer (like a heat haze you see when driving).

I have tried almost every setting imagininable, from low graphics to high graphics. I have 90hz and best settings set in openxr.

My system is..

Intel 9700k CPU
GE1660ti gpu
Windows 10
32gb ram
ssd drives for Windows 10 and MSFS2020

I understand that my gpu is underpowered but cannot get an RTX3080 atm. HP sites says that 1660ti will work at 50% resolution..I'm assuming this is 50% in openxr? I do not have the steam version of MSFS2020.

Any help will be very much appreciated as this is driving me crazy as others say they are having a great experience with this headset. I'm worried there may be a problem with the headset and need to send it back..