• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

okay heard all this great stuff about Windows 7 and I'm not impressed

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
have you tried installing win7 and vista on a machine with 1gb ram? im sure you will see the difference there, also iv noticed when gaming i don't get a delay going back to desktop, in vista it was a pain alt tabbing games.

tl:dr its a big improvement over vista even if its not apparent at first.

re read my orginal post and notice the memory remarks.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
My current issues with 7 are:
Aero peak stops working if you update your drivers, but there's a manual fix.
Animated gifs don't play in photo viewer.
Some jpegs display squashed in photo viewer.
They went half-assed with windows media player. Can't watch mkv with subtitles.
No matter what driver I use I get 2 less fps in crysis vs vista.
Some settings and options seem to be getting harder to find the further away from xp we get, especially networking ones.

If they fix that crap it'd be perfect.

System Name spuds K8-X2
Processor amd athlon X2 4200+ toledo s939 2794mhz 254x11 1.4 vcore
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo4-F v1.0 (MS-7125) nforce4 sata2 mod, laptop cpu heatpipe copper nb cooler
Cooling akasa evo "blue" + 90mm fan, 2x120mm front, 250mm side, 120mm rear, 120mm in psu, pci slot exhaust.
Memory OCZ Platinum XTC DDR PC3200 4GB(4x1024) @254mhz 3-3-3-8 2T
Video Card(s) sapphire HD3870 512mb GDDR4 vf900cu, several ramsinks on components / nvidia 7300gt 256mb secondary
Storage hitachi 160gb (slightly fried) / hitachi 120gb ATA / Seagate 160gb / 2x ps3 seagate 60gb
Display(s) CTX EX1300F 20" flat CRT, 1280x1024@100hz / 19" benq FP91G X / 19" hanns-g (all free)
Case mesh server/gaming black case, 9x 5.25' drive bays, silvestone auto fan controller
Audio Device(s) onboard realtek alc850 7.1/soundblaster LIVE! ct4780 + kxaudio - sony home theatre surround
Power Supply winpower 650w, system draws around 470-500w under load(+all screens)
Software win7 64bit
Benchmark Scores ~16m trips/sec using mty trip generator. triple monitor gaming using SoftTH. 3840x1024
I don't think any machine should have 1 gig or less these days and if they do they should be running XP.

yeah but that's beside the point, vista will be a bit sluggish on something with only 1gb ram, while 7 runs fine, iv even had it running on a machine with 512mb ram, and you must admit 7 is a lot nicer to use than xp.

re read my orginal post and notice the memory remarks.

yes, i have used vista/7 on my pc, they both appear to use around the same mem, but i think 7 used it a lot more efficiently, it doesn't take an age to load up to desktop n stop beating the hd, and games load a little quicker, as is loading back to desktop (big difference iv found there)
im not saying vista is a pile of shit either, but the improvement iv found 7 has over vista is noticable.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
My current issues with 7 are:
Aero peak stops working if you update your drivers, but there's a manual fix.
Animated gifs don't play in photo viewer.
Some jpegs display squashed in photo viewer.
They went half-assed with windows media player. Can't watch mkv with subtitles.
No matter what driver I use I get 2 less fps in crysis vs vista.
Some settings and options seem to be getting harder to find the further away from xp we get, especially networking ones.

If they fix that crap it'd be perfect.

Didn't know about Aero Peak not working.....in fact I am not sure if I use that feature or not :confused:

Animated Gifs have never worked in Windows photo viewer. The tried to working in XP, but failed horribly (Get Irfanview from Irfanview.com for animated gifs. It does other stuff that is helpful too like a Mass file editor for change image files all the same way, rename groups of files, and/or mass converting)

Check to make sure Photo Viewer shows all images as "Fit to Window"

Windows Media Player has never and will never fully support Open Source formats. CCCP, VideoLAN player, or The KMPlayer are best options for videos.

2 FPS is trival and you can't see that small a difference unless you are already getting less than 20, and why would you play at less than 20. Turn Fraps off and it will stop buggin' you.

Depends on the options you are talking about. Buttons change, places to click change, options are in windows and boxes that look exactly the same. Whatcha looking for?

P.S. Not looking or working like XP is not a downfall or weakness of an OS.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It was after 6.4 and 7.1 that MS decided to pull alot of support because they didnt want to pay amenities to several companies and let the customer do so for Codecs

Didn't know about Aero Peak not working.....in fact I am not sure if I use that feature or not :confused:

Animated Gifs have never worked in Windows photo viewer. The tried to working in XP, but failed horribly (Get Irfanview from Irfanview.com for animated gifs. It does other stuff that is helpful too like a Mass file editor for change image files all the same way, rename groups of files, and/or mass converting)

Windows Media Player has never and will never fully support Open Source formats. CCCP, VideoLAN player, or The KMPlayer are best options for videos.

2 FPS is trival and you can't see that small a difference unless you are already getting less than 20, and why would you play at less than 20. Turn Fraps off and it will stop buggin' you.

Depends on the options you are talking about. Buttons change, places to click change, options are in windows and boxes that look exactly the same. Whatcha looking for?

enaher

System Name One does not simply have enough cash for INTEL
Processor Athlon II 450 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master 212+
Memory 4x4gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x 5830 Sapphire 950c/1150m CF
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB Raid0 + Samsung 1TB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HDA
Case Xigmatek ASGARD PRO
Power Supply SeasonicX 750w
Software W7 x64 Ultimate
I ran vista on a sempron 2600+ 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9600 smooth as butter, i never had issues with vista, maye the long bootup(45 seconds:)), but i like the small new improvements on 7.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 and Windows 7 64 seem to me to be almost identical with Windows 7 using a smaller memory kernel. I have both running side by side and Windows 7 is not noticeably different and Vista works just as-well as long as you have 4 gb of ram or better. I think we have a tiny bit of memory usage tweaking and thats it, nothing is wrong with Vista in it current form that was all B.S. do you agree. I'm not saying Windows 7 is bad but it's not worth the upgrade (if it's a upgrade at all) :D

There are definitely some changes that make it worth the upgrade, IMO.

The biggest one being that the professional version has media center included, while Vista's Business edition did not have this. Now we don't have to put out the money for Ultimate edition to get domain support and media center and remote desktop.

The system tray has been revamped, and I like that alot. A small change like that actually makes a big difference to me. Not taking up task bar space to view system tray icons is nice.

The super bar is very nice also, no more quick launch is nice, and openning the program in the same spot as it is in on the super bar is great.

The revamped file transfer window is probably what I love the most. I never realized how much I missed seeing what file is currently transferring until I moved to Win7, it was in XP, but not Vista, and now it is back in Win7, and it is important.

However, I agree with you for the most part, it probably isn't worth the upgrade for someone that has Vista and likes it. The big thing is that Win7 is good from the beginning, so everyone says it is good. While Vista wasn't nearly as good from the beginning, but over time it has been updated to the point where it is pretty much just as good as Win7.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit

I never had a problem playing gifs in xp. I want to use the in built options as much as possible, as you get integration benefits and often quality benefits. Not to mention who wants to always have to load up all these extra programs each install? I resent having to have 4 video players when I could have 1. Windows media player has the best video playback quality of any video player period, issue is it only plays 70% of file types. Try opening a movie in vlc and windows media player and you'll see a big difference. Some players can't even get the aspect ratio right and stretch things. With the divx tech preview we can get mkv to play but they're having trouble working out a way to get subtitles working. I can't stand irfanview. I've tried a lot of other picture viewers, many had some nice features, but failed in overall simplicity, style, integration.. just all around lacking as many features as they add.

With a few changes for instance I might have even switched to fastpicture viewer permanently as the speed was insane, but I'd of needed the following changes without exception:
set as desktop background option
delete button
color themes
open file location
open multiple instances
a change to right click functionality

Networking wise I always find what I'm looking for, it just takes twice as many clicks and isn't always intuitive. Getting to things in xp was more straight forward. The only advantage 7 has is in it's search functionality. I also don't find 2 FPS is trivial. 7 was supposed to be faster in games, it was in earlier builds, very noticeably, but at release it ended up slower across the board. It would be excusable if it was a totally new os, but it's not. The entire point was to make a more efficient vista.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 (6.1) is a minor upgrade from Vista/Server 2008 (6.0). The name "Windows 7" is deceiving. There's only minor differences between the two.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I never had a problem playing gifs in xp. I want to use the in built options as much as possible, as you get integration benefits and often quality benefits. Not to mention who wants to always have to load up all these extra programs each install? I resent having to have 4 video players when I could have 1. Windows media player has the best video playback quality of any video player period, issue is it only plays 70% of file types. Try opening a movie in vlc and windows media player and you'll see a big difference. Some players can't even get the aspect ratio right and stretch things. With the divx tech preview we can get mkv to play but they're having trouble working out a way to get subtitles working. I can't stand irfanview. I've tried a lot of other picture viewers, many had some nice features, but failed in overall simplicity, style, integration.. just all around lacking as many features as they add.

With a few changes for instance I might have even switched to fastpicture viewer permanently as the speed was insane, but I'd of needed the following changes without exception:
set as desktop background option
delete button
color themes
open file location
open multiple instances
a change to right click functionality

Networking wise I always find what I'm looking for, it just takes twice as many clicks and isn't always intuitive. Getting to things in xp was more straight forward. The only advantage 7 has is in it's search functionality. I also don't find 2 FPS is trivial. 7 was supposed to be faster in games, it was in earlier builds, very noticeably, but at release it ended up slower across the board. It would be excusable if it was a totally new os, but it's not. The entire point was to make a more efficient vista.

Still not sure what networking stuff takes you so long to find. I have a WinXP machine and everything takes the same number of clicks to find.

I am sorry, I don't follow your logic. I have tried Windows Media Player and quality is terrible compared to VLC. VLC has be and will continue to be a smoother, more robust, and versatile Media player than WMP. I didn't not intend to imply you need 3 or 4 programs to watch videos, you only need one of the options, not all three. In your case I say go with the CCCP since it is a codec pack for WMP. I will not argue this point.

2 FPS is trival and largely a pointless grip especially since you provide no exact area this is a problem. Is it 2 less across the board? Is it 2 less average FPS, etc? I will bet money it is localized to only Crysis and its god awful code anyway. Try a different game and Win7 will win by a fairly large margin.

Most of the initial release speed issues have been resolved.

As for the image thing, IrfanView there is a noticeable difference in how smooth an animate gif is using it. But you say you don't like, so no argument from me.

And before we start the, but WMP does my music and videos thing, so will VLC and KMPlayer. I just don't like how they handle the music library.

It was after 6.4 and 7.1 that MS decided to pull alot of support because they didnt want to pay amenities to several companies and let the customer do so for Codecs

MKV, OGM, OGG, and several other standards are Open. They would not have to pay anyone. They do not support things people can use for free because it cuts into their profit margin by introducing it to business and people that basically believe only MS makes computer software. There is no reason to not support open standards other than that.

OpenOffice.org stand file type is .odt which is a certified business standard format for digital documents. Why can MS Office not save, open, or edit these documents? Why did MS pay thousands of dollars to have a special session of the standards review board do a second tally for .docx file structure when it failed the first review? Why were the businesses on the board who voted it down not allowed to attend this special session? I get that it is business and why my business has gone elsewhere for my Office, video, and music software.

Edit: I do use Aero Peek like all the time and it has just become a part of how I use my computer so I don't notice. Never not worked for me.

Last edited:
System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
I would have Windows 7 for a girlfriend, though I'd probably get sick of her because she doesn't care who 'uses' her. :(

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
From my personal expierence... Well, Win7 is better in everything ,its faster, it isnt trying to kill my HDD, it looks better, it loads faster, games run better etc.

I was on Win7 for half a year and i can't tell the difference in terms of performance. My current genuine Vista runs smooth as silk, i have DX11 ready support if i change the gfx card, i don't really miss that fat taskbar all that much, it boots just as fast and memory, who cares, i have 6GB and a quad core. It makes no difference for me. I also don't know where you guys manage to get all the HDD thrashing. I never witnessed one except on the very start when you install Vista and it indexes and caches the stuff. After that, never.