• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(Anti) SFF fun house

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
------------------------------------------------

Austere Box R6.0 (41.5L volume)
Caselabs Mercury S3:

austere box rebuild 2024.jpg

Ol' Beastie R6.1 (4.6L volume)
Lone Industries L5:

finished l5 with a2000.jpg

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
It always feels weird to name these inanimate objects, but maybe it's the constant hanging out on F150forum.com that I've gotten used to the practice. :laugh: In all seriousness, this ol' girl has a name because we've been up to 30,000ft like it's a second home, to all different places over yonder and helped me see through the (not particularly enjoyable) events of the past few years. Sometimes being able to come back and fire up a game or movie or music or just sit there and stare at a webpage was all there was between me and something very, very rash.

Now, after years of hauling a Pelican 1510 that would weigh between 25-30lb through distant airports, all while sweating bullets (in addition to sweating normally because it's damn hot lugging that thing around) and fearing for what the gate agents on shift that day would say about my 1510, I think it may be time to wrap up that life. Yes, I do have a short stint remaining at school, which means I will need to fly there and back again with something that is not a laptop, but that will most likely be something along the lines of a Hades Canyon NUC; whether it's a HNK or HVK is something I have not yet decided, but all I know is that you will not find me twiddling my thumbs waiting for the debut of Intel's new dGPU, which will most likely be the centerpiece of the Hades' replacement - the Ghost Canyon NUC. That would also mean the retirement of my 1510 in its current role, as my new and miniature (in relative terms) Pelican 1300 in screaming yellow fits the bill far better for such a compact machine; I would just be putting the dividers back in padded dividers and using it to house my camera gear.

This frees up Ol' Beastie to move to a roomier case, without the constraints of the 1510. While a Caselabs Mercury S3 or Nova X2M would have been an impeccable choice at this time, as my luck would have it, Caselabs no longer exists. With that in mind, the choice of case for the near future is still very much in question. I'm also having trouble deciding if I really want to give up the ability to take Ol' Beastie, fully protected, around town to friends' houses.

I think it's an elitist thing, lmao. The M1 is a little more premium than most mass market ones and I'm having some trouble accepting the prospect of going back to an NZXT (which still makes damn fine cases, by the way) or a Silverstone, kek. It's also a nice little case, and if I'm gonna be honest, nothing else is really pulling me in and giving a real reason to ditch the M1 as of yet.

--------​

In the beginning, I was just tossing ideas around. In that warm spring of 2015, I had long since come to realize that I could not survive without the familiar feel of a desktop PC. :laugh: So at that point, the conclusion was that whatever I would use, I’d have to bring with me.

So I started with the Pelican 1510, ubiquitous amongst photographers everywhere. I picked pluck foam to start.

But what to make and how to make it? There were no guides on building a PC specifically to endure the rigors of air travel. What protection would I use? What case could I fit? Would air coolers and GPUs be safe, or would they transform into unrestrained weapons ready to tear through their sockets and slots at the slightest shock? Most AIOs might make it through security on a round trip……but mostly wasn’t going to cut it, I was going to have to make it through CATSA/TSA/Border Force every single time, without fail, on my 4-6 flights a year.

Hell, even if you queried a forum for suggestions, they’d mostly just laugh and tell you to buy a laptop or build one at the destination. With the rise of SFF and uSFF, followed by the continuous revision of the M1 design and introduction of the SM550 and DAN-A4, it’s incredibly easy nowadays. There’s even a dedicated shoulder bag for the M1 and A4. But that sure wasn’t the case back then.

The SG08B-Lite popped up as a reasonable candidate, given its ability to fit the D9L, while still being under 15L in volume. The build came together as a i3-4160, H81I and R7 265 with a XFX Core Edition (Seasonic S12II) providing power, as for much of the time before my departure, it would only function as a secondary HTPC to my main rig. Sadly, Dropbox had a big fustercluck about a year later and deleted nearly all the photos I had of that setup.

September came, and off we went. It was the first time I was flying with such a thing. I very quickly discovered what many a photographer had at their chagrin – the stock plastic wheels on the 1510 are horrible. If air travel wouldn’t break my PC, those wheels would make sure the PC would be shattered by the time it reached its destination. But carrying it was also heavy as hell (the SG08B-Lite has a full 10mm thick front panel made of solid aluminium), so I did this awkward combination of wheeling it gingerly over smooth surfaces and carrying it the rest of the way.

I was so jumpy going through CATSA – not good vibes to have at airport security. The guy was nice and all, as well as curious to the components I had chosen, but out of the subsequent dozen opportunities, that first flight marked the one and only time my rig was ever swabbed for explosives. :eek:

Next challenge was the size of the carry-on. Air Canada had introduced these stupid “check your carry on size for fitment compliance” crates constructed from steel tubing, and it just so happened that the Pelican 1510, despite complying with literally every major airline’s standards, was slightly out of spec for Air Canada’s on one axis. Furthermore, it was also a couple of pounds too heavy. The gate agent was less than understanding at first, but after I explained everything at stake and that I simply could not accept checking it into the hold, he put a red tag on it and I got on. There were no further hiccups on that flight.

Things went well until 1) I got tired of carrying around 28lb in Heathrow Terminal 2; 2) my H81I started giving up on life. Given how the board looked by the end, I wagered that the horizontal motherboard placement and the weight of the D9L on top of it had done it in. As to the first point, little did I know, it was about to get a lot worse. Air Canada flights are generally ushered into Terminal 2 gates, a large, modern complex that manages to be airy and refreshing; most importantly, the floors are smooth tile. I switched to BA for their standard dimensions and generous 51lb carry-on allowance. British Airways flights to Western Canada come into Terminal 3, a literal fucking hellhole on Earth, where the floors were designed to destroy PCs like mine and the walk from the check-in to the lounge is a Long March in itself, while the lounge to whatever gate they announce is another Long March. The gate is always fluid and changing, only announced an hour prior to departure. Have fun getting 25lb to the gate within 20 minutes!

Over the next half dozen flights, I quickly learned to arrive at the gate early and get on early. Some lady might be trying to keep her Coach purse from contacting the filthy floor of the cabin, but my stakes are much, much higher – sorry ma’am.

And thus, next in line was a SG05. This drastically reduced the size of Ol’ Beastie and her weight as well, but meant a downgrade to a Silverstone 450W SFX as well as a L9x65. By this time, I had swapped in my 4790K instead, so major thermal problems were to be expected. From this time to my Ryzen 3000 upgrade in August 2019, that 4790K was underclocked to 3.5GHz.

The R7 265 also departed in favour of a GTX 750 Ti from EVGA. It was technically a downgrade in graphics performance, but Maxwell held two significant advantages – it was incredibly efficient in thermals and power consumption, and being EVGA, it supported a backplate, which I purchased for $15 extra. Given the nature of this computer, I take any extra rigidity and strength I can get. As for the dying H81I, a H97N-WIFI was substituted instead, with integrated 802.11ac MIMO WIFI being a breath of fresh air compared to the shockingly terrible USB 802.11n adapters of old.

--------

to be continued

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
--------​

Time, as well as planes :laugh:, flew by. By this time, it was Ol’ Beastie’s second year in the game, and I was starting to get good at this. I had followed photographers’ advice and swapped the stock 1510 wheels for roller skate wheels that I had bought bulk for $5; they really go the extra mile towards not damaging your expensive equipment contained therein.

By this time, Ol’ Beastie had long since ditched mechanical drives for a pure solid-state setup. Such things are necessary to survive long, arduous journeys where you might expect to get bumped a few times.

The 750 Ti was also starting to get long in the tooth. I had a U2515H to power, now, and GM107 really wasn’t cutting it, however efficient it was. I was eyeing EVGA’s 1070, whose ACX 3.0 cooler is still, in my opinion, a masterpiece of GPU cooler design to this day, but knew that such a card wouldn’t have a chance of fitting in the SG05. The SG08 made a brief return to accommodate the upgrade, but by this time, the NCASE M1 had caught my eye.

That picture of the setup I had then, is a reminder to myself that sharpness and technical perfection is not all there is to a pleasing image, just as one doesn’t need the utmost in performance or the most expensive desk. Sometimes, it just feels……right.

Unrealistic expectations always give way to actual hands-on impressions, but my impression of the M1 was the it was nothing short of gorgeous, especially in comparison to the Silverstones I had been using. There was something about the subtle, silver aluminium with the brushed finish that made me truly love a computer case for the first time since my first, a H440 all those years ago. The front panel fitment wasn’t the greatest, but I didn’t care. The upgrade to the M1 also dragged in a Corsair SF600 to replace the SFX450 (which wasn’t so sure as to if it wanted to keep living); the SF600 is one hell of a trooper, and keeps working today, while the SFX450 is temperamental and good for little else other than a testing piece. The NH-D9L returned, but even then, the 4790K was still kept at 3.5GHz to ensure long life and exhaustively safe temperatures under all conditions.

The 1070 deserves its own paragraph of praise. It’s quiet, with idle fan stop that still allows it to idle at 30-40C with some case airflow. It’s efficient, and draws no more than 144W. It’s powerful, allowing me to run every single one of my games maxed out at 1440p. It’s sturdy, with a cooler that’s minimalistic but built like a tank, integrating a stiff VRM/memory plate and a free backplate to help strengthen things up on the back. Quite honestly, I think it’ll be years or maybe never again before I come across another performance product that is equally built to those exacting standards of build quality and performance.

But then, 2017 was not a good year. 2017 marked the height of my obsession with custom keyboards, which signified Ol’ Beastie’s relegation to “less important hobby” for the better part of the next year, despite the fact that she was and would be my trusty rock for the past two and next two years. 2017 brought about pretty serious illness, and I had to return home to recuperate. Something something liability something something not fit to study for health reasons something something.

Over the next two years, I completely neglected Ol’ Beastie’s health. My sole Metrovac ED500 had been 220V, and I had left it in Britain. In my defence, there were numerous, more pressing issues to attend to in the meantime – but that’s still no way to treat a faithful friend. You can imagine what I found when I opened her up for the first time in two years in order to clean her up with my new 110V ED500, all in preparation for the Ryzen upgrade. Intercontinental dust bunnies; if that wasn’t a thing, it is now. :eek:

In late summer of 2019, after countless betrayals at the hands of Ford and GM on midsize and halfton trucks, and the waning of my keyboard obsession as I teetered on the threshold of endgame with GMK 9009, Classic Retro and TA90, it was finally time to turn my attention to Ol’ Beastie again. Her hardware was getting long in the tooth; strictly speaking, there was nothing wrong with a 4790K, 16GB of 1600 and a 1070, but it was an unsatisfactory setup for more reasons than one.
  • The 4790K had always been capped to 3.5GHz. With two fans on the D9L, I reckon I could have pushed it to stock base clock (4GHz) without boost without any problems under stress testing, but I just never bothered. As can be expected from 3500MHz Haswell, it wasn’t all that amazing.
  • I was running out of SSD room, even with a 750GB MX300, a 1TB Blue3D, and a 500GB 850 EVO. When your music library is more than 50GB, with a separate library of items that no longer belong in your main library, as well as a working folder for tags that’s never really cleared of anything, things get full quick. Add other media and a heck ton of photo work in all different file formats, and…well, you get the idea.
  • Because my Cablemod set only had 2 connectors on its SATA chain, I could only support two 2.5” drives and one in an external enclosure. Not that I would want to do any more than 2 drives internally in the M1 anyways; it’s already a pain to route power and data to them. And since Haswell was pre-M.2, if I wanted to have enough space for things, an upgrade was in order.
--------​

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
Nice Pelican case! I have a few small ones modified for my glock for my travels. Glad it protected "ol-beastie" well! Nice set up btw

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Nice Pelican case! I have a few small ones modified for my glock for my travels. Glad it protected "ol-beastie" well! Nice set up btw

Thanks for stopping by!

I personally prefer the smaller ones; the yellow 1300 that I bought earlier this year fits perfectly into my Fjallraven Ovik 20L. But I can't say no to the versatility of the 1510, especially with some hockey tape on the handles and roller skate wheels.

That a full-size or competition Glock, or one of the shorter ones? Pelicans are outrageously popular with gun owners and photographers, and I can honestly see why. I still remember the marketing ad where they ran over the 1510 with a truck :laugh:

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
nice, feel like i can traveling without much worry abt gaming in no time:)

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
That a full-size or competition Glock, or one of the shorter ones?
Smaller one, Glock 19. Only 2 things are stock on it is the frame and slide. Soon I will be getting laser stippling to to get rid of the little nubs.

Yes I love the pelican cases they are great and insides very modular for almost any need.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Smaller one, Glock 19. Only 2 things are stock on it is the frame and slide. Soon I will be getting laser stippling to to get rid of the little nubs.

Yes I love the pelican cases they are great and insides very modular for almost any need.

That's very cool. I always say I'm going to go out and get my PAL card and start going to the range, but I never find the time to do it. Something about the G34 and G41 just rub me the right way, something about long slides. It's a purely leisurely thing over here, so I wouldn't be too thrilled about the need for a compact or subcompact.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
--------​

Months ago, I polled TPU (after years of absence) about whether I should opt for a 2700(X) or a 8700(K). The consensus was that I should wait until the release of Ryzen 3000, to reap the rewards of 7nm and the significant architectural changes. And that is exactly what I did.

For starters, the Ryzen 3700X is a fantastic development for desktop computing. The 7nm node brings rather impressive power efficiency in a desktop context, especially against the backdrop of traditionally power-hungry AMD processors, and Intel’s TDP- and P-state-related fiascos as of late. With improvements to prefetching and the doubling of L3 cache, it and the rest of the Ryzen 5-9 family do much to mend Zen’s traditional weaknesses.

There’s a catch, however. The 3700X is not marketed as a 3.6GHz processor; the highlight is the boost up to 4.4GHz. That boost is highly dependent on temperatures, and you’d better have a 240mm rad or a NH-D15 if you want to make full use of it. And that’s still only if your chip feels like it. If you leave it to do whatever it wants according to PBO, it’ll sustain light load to heavy load voltages between 1.4V-1.5V. “Normal behavior”, if AMD is to be believed. Having Ol’ Beastie devolve into a fireball is not on my bucket list.

Availability of CPUs is good…availability of mini-ITX AM4 boards of any chipset and generation is downright appalling. I had to settle for the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi, and paid extra to have it updated to F42a BIOS before I received it – it doesn’t appear to have an easy USB flashback method. I originally wanted a 32GB kit of 3200C16 Corsair LPX; that idea died quickly with the discovery that it barely posted with even just one stick. A 16GB kit of Trident Z of the same speed, this time with Samsung E-die, boots without issue and will have to suffice for now.

Even brushing aside all of these smaller issues associated with the Ryzen 3000 upgrade, the biggest challenge is still thermals. Suddenly, without manual clock and Vcore settings, the NH-D9L, even with two NF-A9 fans, struggles to provide a comfortable experience. What does this mean? Ryzen 3000 is smart enough to dial back its clocks accordingly with temperature, so there’s no risk of overheating, and the D9L can still sustain boost clocks under load. However, because of the spiky and adaptive nature of the new Ryzen logic, Ol’ Beastie sounds like a turbojet engine continuously being taken on and off afterburner.

Worse yet, many Windows applications are ill-prepared to accommodate Ryzen 3000’s smart logic. In an absolutely hilarious stroke of irony, simply turning on the clocks/temperature histogram setting in AMD’s own Ryzen Master causes continuous boost clock load (and therefore, unavoidable high 40s-50s idle temperature) on the chip’s fastest core.

Not to mention, leaving it on stock boost mechanics with stock variable Vcore results in a veritable fustercluck of WHEA errors every few minutes, while a manual stable voltage 3.6, 4.0, or 4.1GHz clock results in none. And they said to “just leave it be”.

The only way around this roller coaster is to set fixed clocks and non-adaptive Vcore, to force it to behave more like a traditional x86 CPU. This is done on my board by disabling Core Performance Boost, even though disabling the exact same setting on Ryzen 2000 chips retains full Boost functionality; clearly, even on F42a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB, Gigabyte hasn’t worked out the bugs with controlling Ryzen 3000, and it’s not limited to the B450I Aorus alone. Even with manually set clocks, there are thermal barriers that cannot be overcome by disabling boost, when one is nearing 1.4V of Vcore but still falling well short of rated boost clock while reining in 8 hungry 7nm cores powering 16 threads.

As a result, I have been testing manually set clocks, Vcore and LLC settings in an attempt to find the bottom line – in other words, what a 3700X actually needs to achieve different boost speeds. So far, at 4.0GHz, with the help of some stronger LLC, the Vcore has come down from 1.3V to 1.25V, with an effective load voltage of 1.225V. The difference in temperatures is already apparent; suddenly, Prime95 Smallest now maxes out at less than 84 degrees sustained with the case closed, and this marks the first time I have ever seen sub-30C idle temperatures from this chip, even if it's fleeting.

As for the Noctua boys, I returned the C14S (an absolute unit of a cooler, but regrettably doesn’t fit due to the combination of the M1 dictating its orientation and Gigabyte’s AM4 ITX boards having too high up a socket placement) for a U9S. While on open air benches the U9S barely edges out the D9L with one and two fans respectively, when it comes to tight spaces, the D9L’s lack of heatsink surface area really shows. I could put a third A9 on there to turn it into a mini-D15, and it still wouldn’t make a difference. We’ll see how the dual A9 U9S does; I know I shouldn’t jinx myself, but I have high hopes given the experience I have with its predecessor, the U9B SE2.

--------​

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This was a fun read, my thoughts:

Haswell launched pre m.2, but my Z97 and 4790k actually had m.2 NVME support, just probably never existed in ITX

the ryzen shenanigans you're dealing with can very likely be remedied in your BIOS, just not in ways you're used to
1. voltage offset is better than flat voltage, -0.05 through -0.1 seems the sweet spot before removing any performance
2. Using PBO settings in bios to under-TDP is absolutely amazing, even if confusing to learn. For example i can set my 2700x max wattage to 65W instead of 105W, single core boost remains the same but multi core drops and temps plummet
3. ryzen master while clumsy, allows you to test those settings at a software level before deciding what to use
4. those bugs with readings and high idle clocks seem to be starting to get fixed, new BIOS (agesa ABBA) is due out within days and may help out a lot

System Name Batman's CaseLabs Mercury S8 Work Computer
Processor 8086K 5.3Ghz binned delidded by Siliconlottery.com 5.5Ghz 6c12t 5.6Ghz 6c6t on ambient air
Motherboard EVGA Z390 DARK
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking so far Noctua Industrial PWM fan 2000rpm rated (700rpm inaudible)
Memory Gskill Trident Z Royal Silver F4-4600C18D-16GTRS running at 4500Mhz 17-17-17-37 (new mem OC) : )
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD W5400 7nm workstation card coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 900P 280GB PCIe card as Primary OS drive / (4) Samsung 860Pro 256GB SATA internal
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench chassis two-tone black front cover with gunmetal frame
Audio Device(s) Creative $25 2.1 speakers lol
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 700watt fanless
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / Glorious Model D matte black / Razer Invicta mousing mat gunmetal
Keyboard HHKB Hybrid Type-S black printed keycaps
Software Work Apps text and statistical
Benchmark Scores Single Thread scores at 5.6Ghz: Cinebench R15 ST - 249 CPU-Z ST - 676 PassMark CPU ST - 3389
I like your setup pics tabascobro. You can always tell when someone's setup is for getting work completed. ;)

My keyboard - a plain HHKB Pro 2 Silent Type-S, they only come in the white and gray. Had a black HHKB Pro standard for 3years prior to this board. You get used to the Topre switches fairly easily, now I cannot use any other switch, at least over extended periods.

I do ok with silent Reds or Browns, yet nothing comes close to the Topres in my hands.

Looks like we clean our rigs the same also. I had the white DataVac since 2012, works amazing as long as you keep the filter on the bottom clear of debris. Moved to the black DataVac sku in 2017, for my Dark Knight lol - everything goes black - build.

Really nice thread bro! :)

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8200.JPG

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
This was a fun read, my thoughts:

Thanks for stopping by! I'm very torn as to what to do with the 4790K, as it's a fantastic piece of silicon, even though I lost the silicon lottery. When my U9S arrives, my D9L will be free to return to sit on DC. Only thing I'm missing is a case (thinking a cheap mATX one now that I've decided to stay on with the M1, and then it'll be able to play anime on the TV. HD 4600 has never let me down for light tasks.

As for Ryzen, I ended on 1.194V last night at 4.0GHz, stable through three runs of P95 Smallest. I don't quite understand how clock offset works yet, even after reading guides. As for 1.0.0.3ABBA, I'm very much looking forward to it. My F42a BIOS is stable, but there are a lot of somewhat broken features (no Cool n Quiet, LLC doesn't use a drop down menu to see all options, etc.).

I like your setup pics tabascobro. You can always tell when someone's setup is for getting work completed. ;)

My keyboard - a plain HHKB Pro 2 Silent Type-S, they only come in the white and gray. Had a black HHKB Pro standard for 3years prior to this board. You get used to the Topre switches fairly easily, now I cannot use any other switch, at least over extended periods.

Looks like we clean our rigs the same also. I had the white DataVac since 2012, works amazing as long as you keep the filter on the bottom clear of debris. Moved to the black DataVac sku in 2017, for my Dark Knight lol - everything goes black - build.

Was wondering when you'd drop by bud :laugh: that was my setup at school, right before shit hit the metaphorical fan. I wish my home setup was that photogenic; I have neither the natural nor artificial lighting required for that. I really do miss my U2515H and can't wait to get back to it in a year's time. Dell Ultrasharp panels are really good.

I did try a white HHKB Pro 2 a while ago. I think had it for about two weeks. After the initial awkwardness, I did like the Topres quite a lot, even if they weren't of the Type-S, FC660M or Realforce variety. Problem for me was, it was more than 200GBP at the time, and for that price it felt way too light and plasticky for my liking. And I was still only into off-the-shelf Pok3rs and low-profile cases back then, so I can't imagine what I'd think of going to an HHKB from my ~3lb X60R and 2lb+ FMJ. To add insult to injury, the board wobbled, so I sent it back for a refund while I still could.

I'd still be tempted if I was relying on stock sandy MX switches, but now with a mixture of lubed MX, Gateron and Tealios, I don't think I would be happy with Topre again. I am 120% a linear kinda guy; I can't stand tactile anymore, neither can I handle anything heavier than a Gateron Yellow.

I'm kinda in a limbo state with my three boards right now. Once I find the time to snap a photo of the new O-co Dolch, I'll probably put some boards on this thread.
  • The X60R is waiting for its 5mm brass plate and extra (already extra) PCB, upon receipt of which the board can undergo its rebuild. I don't know why I cut the switch legs off my Tealios back then, but because of that poor choice, several keys are not very well aligned; being the most valuable jewel of the lot with a ton of spare parts to last the ages, I'm going to build it again.
  • The Instant60 has been massively improved upon switching out the retooled MX Reds (verified fixable with lube, but the switch tops catch on my Cherry profile sets, and I don't have enough pre-retool top housings to swap all the keys I need to) for good ol' Gateron Yellows. It's still sitting in the Klippe R1 case with subpar anodization, because it's waiting on its red T60 case, set to ship together with the X60's 5mm plate.
  • The FMJ is the only board that is "completed", so to speak. Because it's so quiet, it's my go-to board before the X60 gets rebuilt. It's sporting kinda-rare pre-retool MX Silent Reds, all lubed with GHV4. Smooth as hell and literally inaudible - truly a board worthy of a library.
DSA Hyperfuse and GMK TA90 are vying for the X60's attention, while the Instant60 is trying out the O-co GMK Dolch set. GMK 9009 R2 in its green accent form, with bits from GMK Classic Retro, continues to adorn the FMJ. I'm finally at a point where I'm done with keyset buying, because these timeless classics are here to stay, in addition to some others like GMK Sky Dolch and vintage SE700 TA that'll be joining me again as they come home across the pond. The rest are slowly going to go up on mechmarket at some point.

As always, hip-hip-hurray for the Datavac! It always elicits a chuckle when I see forum users throwing criticism at the ED500 that they've never used, saying that you'll never make the investment back compared to cans of compressed air. Uh, between not freezing your hands and computer, not multiplying the damage we're doing to the environment, and not being terrible to use, the ED500 pays for itself as soon as it arrives :D. Just remember your hearing protection, ahahah. That thing gets loud.

Processor 8086K 5.3Ghz binned delidded by Siliconlottery.com 5.5Ghz 6c12t 5.6Ghz 6c6t on ambient air
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking so far Noctua Industrial PWM fan 2000rpm rated (700rpm inaudible)
Memory Gskill Trident Z Royal Silver F4-4600C18D-16GTRS running at 4500Mhz 17-17-17-37 (new mem OC) : )
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD W5400 7nm workstation card coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 900P 280GB PCIe card as Primary OS drive / (4) Samsung 860Pro 256GB SATA internal
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench chassis two-tone black front cover with gunmetal frame
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / Glorious Model D matte black / Razer Invicta mousing mat gunmetal
Benchmark Scores Single Thread scores at 5.6Ghz: Cinebench R15 ST - 249 CPU-Z ST - 676 PassMark CPU ST - 3389
Enthusiasts actually defending canned air? Hmmm, the cans cost about $6each, so after quantity (10) which equates to the cost of one white DataVac sku, those enthusiasts have nothing.

They go out and buy more canned air. :confused:

Although the DataVac is not perfect, it's about 5-10times the pressure of air-in-a-can. I went through a few cans of air when I first began this hobby back in 2012, didn't take me long to figure out the cost of ownership over time COOOT! Was going to be much less by investing in an electric blower.

COOOT, I like that funky new acronym. lol :laugh:

I used the white DataVac for about 5years, then went with the black sku purely for aesthetic reasons along with a new build, but don't see any reason why a DataVac would not last 10-15years easy, if you keep the filter clean.

Wish the DataVac would offer a low speed along with the current high speed. I have to run my DataVac at a far distance away when cleaning delicate parts like socket pins, tiny spring assemblies, and small graphics card fans in fear of damage. A low speed would solve that issue.

----------

I took to the HHKB layout almost immediately, it seems so natural, the Control key next to your left pinky, Backspace directly above Return. 60% form factor, your mouse three inches from your right typing hand. I set up the dip switches to my liking and got right to work.

My only issue was out the the box, the HHKB Pro 2s slide all over your desktop. I first used Sorbothane Hemispheres to hold the board in place and add some lift to the front edge offering a more natural angle for typing. Then PFU-Fujitsu began offering a self-adhesive noise absorption mat, that works with amazing results, sticks your board to your desk tight, and does indeed absorb a small bit of noise energy from the Topre keys.

There's no real way to get around the overall higher cost of the HHKB Pro 2, especially if grabbing the Type-S sku with the noise dampened keys then adding another set of PBT keycaps either printed or blank, then the anti-noise mat, then add a PFU transparent gray tinted dust cover plus shipping from a Japanese proxy for the extra mods, and yea it's a $500 keyboard at that point. :oops:

If typing long hours daily the board can also save you a great deal of finger and hand/wrist related pain and fatigue and potential medical conditions and expenses, plus factor in the ROI for your work.

The HHKB is not for everyone or every use case, obviously. But if you TYPE all day long 8-10hours, the board can keep you comfortable.

Long hours of typing can also be remedied by a set of those therapeutic squeeze grips and of course, a great set of boobs. :p

IMG_8336.JPG

detail_pz-kbkmg-pro-1__17771.1525998221.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Nice Metro Duster, I have one and it's one of the best accessories I have bought. I went high airflow with my case by ditching all my restrictive dust screens and filters, I just use the datablaster every month or two, and the whole case is always dust free, cooler, and quieter without the restriction.

Nice Metro Duster, I have one and it's one of the best accessories I have bought. I went high airflow with my case by ditching all my restrictive dust screens and filters, I just use the datablaster every month or two, and the whole case is always dust free, cooler, and quieter without the restriction.

Yup, I used the Demciflex superfine mesh filters with an enclosed case back in 2014, and if you want to create a medical grade hermetically-sealed clean room environment they will do that for you.

My graphics card idled way up at 46C, crazy VRM temps ddr4 temps - every component ran a bit warmer.

And with a DataVac cleaning once a week or twice a month, the filters really are not so necessary.

Although, there is something positive to be said when looking in through the side window of such an absolute dust free enclosure, it's a remarkable sight to behold and that warm flow of air exiting out the rear 120mm exhaust, yea one of those pristine enthusiast moments to enjoy. If only once. :)

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
The HHKB is not for everyone or every use case, obviously. But if you TYPE all day long 8-10hours, the board can keep you comfortable.

Long hours of typing can also be remedied by a set of those therapeutic squeeze grips and of course, a great set of boobs. :p

In the beginning, I could still use MX Browns. In my old setup photo, you can still see my Filco MJ2 in its Tex alu case, and unfortunately the stock MX Blacks on that one proved to be too heavy and scratchy (MX Black bottoms out at 80N, but retools seem slightly lighter and smoother).

Somewhere along the line, Gateron Yellow spoiled me and now I can only use relatively light linears. I type a lot, but I have had bad RSI for some time in my right hand.

I'd say thick lubed MX Silent Reds are akin to an infant's chubby cheek, they're that good. Not too far off from a supple pair of boobs :laugh:

Thanks for stopping by. Good to see more people using the ED500.

I remember buying a complete set of Demci for my M1, but I only have the top panel filter (sits on the exterior, matches the colour) and the PSU fan one. Not sure where everything else went, but they weren't very useful. Now instead of just the side 120mm, now I have an A12 on the side and an A12 below the GPU, so I just gotta remember to blow it out often. These A12s move air like crazy even through vented panels.

In the beginning, I could still use MX Browns. In my old setup photo, you can still see my Filco MJ2 in its Tex alu case, and unfortunately the stock MX Blacks on that one proved to be too heavy and scratchy (MX Black bottoms out at 80N, but retools seem slightly lighter and smoother).

Somewhere along the line, Gateron Yellow spoiled me and now I can only use relatively light linears. I type a lot, but I have had bad RSI for some time in my right hand.

I'd say thick lubed MX Silent Reds are akin to an infant's chubby cheek, they're that good. Not too far off from a supple pair of boobs :laugh:

Thanks for stopping by. Good to see more people using the ED500.

I remember buying a complete set of Demci for my M1, but I only have the top panel filter (sits on the exterior, matches the colour) and the PSU fan one. Not sure where everything else went, but they weren't very useful. Now instead of just the side 120mm, now I have an A12 on the side and an A12 below the GPU, so I just gotta remember to blow it out often. These A12s move air like crazy even through vented panels.

:p

hhkb pro 2 boobs.jpg

I have that keyboard cover in that guy's pic, and it's PFU sweet as honey. :)

Although working everyday, I only top it off when we go out of town, which adds up to nothing in relation to dust accumulation yet gives me a feeling of finality - I'm not working here for awhile, which is absolutely priceless. :p

IMG_5868.JPG

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
--------

Time for something a little different!

NerD60 / (GHv4 lubed, original tooling) MX Silent Red / FMJ "R4" (Originative) / GMK 9009 R2 + GMK Classic Retro R1

Instant60 / (stock for now) Gateron Yellow / Klippe R1 / GMK Dolch (Originative)

260 / (stock) Tealios / X60 R / GMK Classic Retro + GMK RGBY

--------​

--------

Time for something a little different!

NerD60 / (GHv4 lubed, original tooling) MX Silent Red / FMJ "R4" (Originative) / GMK 9009 R2 + GMK Classic Retro R1

Instant60 / (stock for now) Gateron Yellow / Klippe R1 / GMK Dolch (Originative)

260 / (stock) Tealios / X60 R / GMK Classic Retro + GMK RGBY

--------​
So pretty! I Love! :clap:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
-----​

Thus has transpired the next stage of Ol' Beastie's overhaul. While she has been lounging in the trunks of cars and putt-putting comfortably around town for the last two years or so, the long haul nightmare will begin again in less than a year's time, so it's time to beef her up and burn in some new parts!

Here's the old girl before things get started:

9_19 ol' beastie side bracket on.jpg

The D9L was originally chosen because of its 115mm height, as opposed to the U9B or U9S' 125mm height. But in the end, its height advantage was for naught, as the NF-A9 sticks out to the same height anyways. Consequently, it offers no clearance advantage, while lacking in heatsink surface area compared to the traditional U9 towers. It has since gone, in favour of a U9S. The U9S cools ever so slightly better, but is quieter in doing so, which is a win. With the newfound Vcore and boost tweaks, the U9S sits comfortably atop the 3700X with 2 x A9s.

The F12 is not particularly loud, save for when it's being run at full speed (pretty much never, as it is a PWM fan). However, things have changed; the A12x25 is nearly silent throughout most of its RPM range, and even at full load, you can only really hear the air moving through it and a faint whine. The F12 at full speed has a much more low-pitched and pronounced whine. With two A12x25s, I'm now able to feed both the CPU and the GPU directly with cool air. At higher speeds, the dual A12x25s provide massive, clearly tangible amounts of positive pressure inside the case, to the point where an exhaust 92mm is no longer needed - hence, the A9x14's removal.

Next up was the 1070. The 1070 ACX 3.0 is a beautiful engineering marvel, that's built to last the ages. Unfortunately, the combination of being unable to support a GPU brace, constant travels, and the passage of time have introduced a noticeable bend to the card, despite the stiffness provided by the ACX 3.0 and the backplate. Having just exited its warranty period, the 1070 is in need of replacement. It has been supplanted by a RTX 2060 Super, bought directly from Nvidia. The FE cooler is built even stiffer and more solid than ACX 3.0 with a backplate that wraps around and joins to the cooler, while being considerably shorter, which leaves a good bit of room for 2.5" drives, cables and I/O up front. I've also gotten my hands on large, dual-ended fibreglass standoffs that are roughly the right height for a GPU support if they are mounted in the bottom of the case. Time will tell if the 2060S will need it.

Meanwhile, the 1070 will go into my secondary TJ08 rig, which should prove beneficial to it as the motherboard orientation is upside down in that enclosure. Here's hoping that gravity works its magic again by bending it back the other way. More on that rig later.

And so, as of October, this is what she looks like:

--------​

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
a must bu
-----​

Thus has transpired the next stage of Ol' Beastie's overhaul. While she has been lounging in the trunks of cars and putt-putting comfortably around town for the last two years or so, the long haul nightmare will begin again in less than a year's time, so it's time to beef her up and burn in some new parts!

The D9L was originally chosen because of its 115mm height, as opposed to the U9B or U9S' 125mm height. But in the end, its height advantage was for naught, as the NF-A9 sticks out to the same height anyways. Consequently, it offers no clearance advantage, while lacking in heatsink surface area compared to the traditional U9 towers. It has since gone, in favour of a U9S. The U9S cools ever so slightly better, but is quieter in doing so, which is a win. With the newfound Vcore and boost tweaks, the U9S sits comfortably atop the 3700X with 2 x A9s.

The F12 is not particularly loud, save for when it's being run at full speed (pretty much never, as it is a PWM fan). However, things have changed; the A12x25 is nearly silent throughout most of its RPM range, and even at full load, you can only really hear the air moving through it and a faint whine. The F12 at full speed has a much more low-pitched and pronounced whine. With two A12x25s, I'm now able to feed both the CPU and the GPU directly with cool air. At higher speeds, the dual A12x25s provide massive, clearly tangible amounts of positive pressure inside the case, to the point where an exhaust 92mm is no longer needed - hence, the A9x14's removal.

Next up was the 1070. The 1070 ACX 3.0 is a beautiful engineering marvel, that's built to last the ages. Unfortunately, the combination of being unable to support a GPU brace, constant travels, and the passage of time have introduced a noticeable bend to the card, despite the stiffness provided by the ACX 3.0 and the backplate. Having just exited its warranty period, the 1070 is in need of replacement. It has been supplanted by a RTX 2060 Super, bought directly from Nvidia. The FE cooler is built even stiffer and more solid than ACX 3.0 with a backplate that wraps around and joins to the cooler, while being considerably shorter, which leaves a good bit of room for 2.5" drives, cables and I/O up front. I've also gotten my hands on large, dual-ended fibreglass standoffs that are roughly the right height for a GPU support if they are mounted in the bottom of the case. Time will tell if the 2060S will need it.

Meanwhile, the 1070 will go into my secondary TJ08 rig, which should prove beneficial to it as the motherboard orientation is upside down in that enclosure. Here's hoping that gravity works its magic again by bending it back the other way. More on that rig later.

--------​
a must buy:)

-----​

--------​

Wow congratulations bro! :toast:

Looks like you received a graphics upgrade along with an aesthetic and chassis air flow upgrade as well. :clap:

That sweet girl is TIGHT!

LOL, that's what he said! :laugh:

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
I am jealous you spend so many years with your girl. :laugh: She is still looking beautiful and even better with that makeover. Seems like she is becoming even younger.

Awesome upgrade for those Noctua sterrox fans, the new amd and new RTX card.