• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Games vs. New Games

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I don't really care if games are old or new, I only care about my favorite series and characters. If they stay true to themselves and at the same time don't get old/boring then it's fine. If they become unrecognizable just to attract and milk casual players who got a lot of money to buy new shiny shit then I won't gaf about them anymore.

Games like Metroid, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Diablo, Sonic, FEAR, Duke Nukem never disappoint me, they just always seem to withstand the test of time. I love them all. Old ones or new ones I don't care.
So, you weren't disappointed at all by the last Duke Nukem?, or even DIII?

So, you weren't disappointed at all by the last Duke Nukem?, or even DIII?
I had no problem with DNF, in fact I had fun. It wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't hopeless. Btw I had no problem with F3AR either.
Diablo 3 is ok. It looked like Diablo and it played like Diablo. My favorite is DI+Hellfire because of music and atmosphere and because it was first. I mean back in the late 90s it wow'd everyone. Even though DIII didn't impress me, it could've been better, but it didn't disappoint me either.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I had no problem with DNF, in fact I had fun. It wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't hopeless. Btw I had no problem with F3AR either.
Diablo 3 is ok. It looked like Diablo and it played like Diablo. My favorite is DI+Hellfire because of music and atmosphere and because it was first. I mean back in the late 90s it wow'd everyone. Even though DIII didn't impress me, it could've been better, but it didn't disappoint me either.
Fair enough. I didn't like F3AR nearly as much as 1 or even 2, but it seemed to me to be more of a FPS looking for a few jump scares. Maybe I was just already used to the play style :). D3's lack of offline play, and the Real Money AH put me off that, never to visit. I'll stick with PoE, Torchlight2, and D2 :)
edit: Almost forgot, Grim Dawn! :)

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
You really cannot make wild generalizations like this. Old has good and bad and New has good and bad.

Additionally, this is a highly subjective description as to whether a game sucks. Each person likes what they like.

This.

I would consider games like Skyrim, Fallout 3-4, DE - Human Revolution & Mankind Divided, Guild Wars 2, Bioshock series, Witcher Series, Metro 2033, Divinity Original Sin series all relatively new and all are a handful of great games. I think you also have plenty of the AAA add another number to the series titles that bring little to the table besides a short and mediocre single player experience followed by generic multiplayer experience driven by micro transactions. These games get a ton of media and create a lot of dislike on the gaming message boards causing the people to think the entire industry sucks.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Chess will never age.
Fond memories. Our primary school PCs had this, I was all over it :D

New games win hands down. Been gaming since the 70's and I've never been happier than in the past 15 years. Sure there are issues but ultimately I have never been happier.

Kinda got the same feeling here, I've got the sense that most of the aversion towards newer games comes from a dose of nostalgia. Back then, everything you did was novel, today, its more of the same, but if you look at the product and try to discount your own (rich) experience with games, the products themselves are really of higher quality in many ways.

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
For the record there are gems from any gaming generation that will always be fun to play. Recently I got into the Command and Conquer series again and can appreciate it very much still. Those games very much could do with a 1080p res port though. RTS games have gotten much better with the times, Warhammer TW 2, for example. Besides the graphics the sheer number of models present in a battle vs the old days is simply amazing. GDI vs NOD is good and all there are big difference between the two but in Warhammer Mortal Empires you got about a dozen factions that play very differently between them. At the end of the day you're still clicking units to give orders, but today the scale is that more grand and makes me appreciate how the genre has grown from my childhood.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
If you have an nvidia card you can use the built in recording software. it works fantastic.

I'm sure it does, I'll look into that.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
you'll need to use geforce experience but you won't regret it.

System Name Windows 10 Pro x64
Processor Intel Core i5-4670K@4200 MHz
Motherboard ASUS Z87-PRO
Memory Corsair XMS3 4x2 GB 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage SSD SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB, SSD SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250 GB, 3x WD Blue 1 TB
I love Quake 2 for Sony PS1. I play with Sony PS1 Controller in Sony PS1 Emulator ePSXe on PC. I finished Quake 2 + Expansions on PC. Best game ever. I like Quake 2 more then Quake 1.

How to get more then 30 FPS in ePSXe?

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
You can't, the game is coded that way.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Old games are more singleplayer/story/sandbox inclined
back then i could play whole day without even connecting to the internet, just loading a game of max payne, playing the sims, hitman 2, or playing red alert/generals/warcraft, satisfies me.
I play my consoles, same thing happens. Tenchu, Tekken, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, were the best games I've played. when friends come, we play some coop, split screen games. I use my internet more for downloading mods or checking guides/cheats than playing with other people.

Newer games are more multiplayer/online/profit inclined
Better Internet connectivity has exposed us to online play, that you can also play with other people online. its a double edged sword, while playing with friends is a good thing, it has depreciated the enjoyment i get from playing single-player games, sometimes i get that longing of wanting to play with someone. But most of the time it has something to do with HOW they make their singleplayer games nowadays compared to multiplayer games. one perfect example is Battlefield 3 onwards; while the multiplayer is definitely a fun game, they completely missed the chance of singleplayer awesomeness by not making a multiplayer game with bots(BF2 style), they relied entirely on the campaign, which was short and not that good anyway.

this only happens on the AAA side though. on the indie side, things are looking much like the old days, which is nice. there are many games that are still really good singleplayer today, some even has a surprising multiplayer option in case you wanna play with friends.

realistically speaking It is better now than it is before, there are more games now and it caters to more people. its just that you get exponentially more shit nowadays that you think this is all worse than the old games. plus its hard to fight against nostalgia and childhood.

IMO nothing will ever top the PS2 era in gaming. I feel that we are still miles ahead of the classics that everybody reminisces over (but never actually play to reality check the nostalgia) - but we've definitely lost something along the way. I feel like two big reasons games have gotten worse are Early Access/crowdfunding (leading to fantastic visions/ideas that unfortunately are very rarely fully finished, what they initially advertised to be, etc.) and microtransactions. There's more focus on easy money grabbing rather than taking risks to develop a new title from the AAA companies. I don't think that multiplayer itself is a big factor in the 'decline', but of course it aids the microtransaction model.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
IMO nothing will ever top the PS2 era in gaming. I feel that we are still miles ahead of the classics that everybody reminisces over (but never actually play to reality check the nostalgia) - but we've definitely lost something along the way. I feel like two big reasons games have gotten worse are Early Access/crowdfunding (leading to fantastic visions/ideas that unfortunately are very rarely fully finished, what they initially advertised to be, etc.) and microtransactions. There's more focus on easy money grabbing rather than taking risks to develop a new title from the AAA companies. I don't think that multiplayer itself is a big factor in the 'decline', but of course it aids the microtransaction model.

If there is one thing that stuck with me for the PS2 games it was the more adult and generally much more moody approach of the games. Dark, gloomy, exciting game worlds like Onimusha, Tenchu, and the PS1 heritage of franchises as well like Dark Reaver and stuff. Gameplay wise, each and every one was incredible too. Split screen multiplayer Tenchu was never ending fun. The games had tons of secrets, puzzles that were real tests of intelligence and being observant, lots of attention to detail... So many concepts that were rich and pure instead of watered down and simplified for the masses... Yeah I feel u man.

And then there were the brilliant beat em ups, like Tekken and Soul Calibur...

System Name AM4 / 775
Processor 2600x / C2D E7600
Motherboard B450 Aorus / ASUS P5G41C-M LX
Cooling TT Esports Duo / Chinesium cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 3ghz / 4GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2060 Super / 5700-XT / GTX 650Ti
Storage 120GB + 1TB SSD / 160GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung CRG5 144hz QD
Case CiT shit chassis modded / Coolermaster Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster FX / Audigy 2 ZX
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III GOLD / BeQuiet 450w bronze.
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Read Dragon Kumara
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Billion
1994 - 2005 was the era of pure art and horsepower.

PS1 showing what devs can do with weak hardware... seriously some titles below..

PS2 / XBOX showing what can be done with pure power (XBOX PC hardware) and pure dev ability (PS2 hard to code for)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
There are some good new games out but it is not like the golden era, I'd say PC games were at their peak between 1999 and 2005. Also the best console games were PS2, Xbox, 2000-2006. I still replay a lot of the PS2 stuff on PCSX2 and have a PS2 and game library though PS2's DVD Rom drive is starting to have a lot of issues opening and closing.

The current trend of Early Access is a big problem. Many decent games become terrible as the developers impose feature creep. A lot of indie titles are Early Access, because it helps them fund the development. Another big problem is loot crates, for obvious reasons. There are some good modern games, I'd say modern is 2011-2018. Just a few good ones I have played last couple years: Far Cry 3, Metro 2033/Last Light, RimWorld, Battlefield 3, Path of Exile, Subnautica, Wolfenstein TNO/OB, Skyrim. Then there are EA games that were good, then not so good due to feature creep, such as Space Engineers. Then games that were good but died due to greed, like War of the Roses, Robocraft, Tribes Ascend.

These games had decent graphics, decent controls. The sound was good. They are not just nostalgia, I have replayed a number of PS2 games over the last couple years and they are every bit as good as they were. Some recommendations: Armored Core Last Raven, Ace Combat 4 Shattered Skies, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec, Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, God Of War, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Tekken Tag Tournament, SSX Tricky.

Last edited:
These games had decent graphics, decent controls. The sound was good. They are not just nostalgia, I have replayed a number of PS2 games over the last couple years and they are every bit as good as they were.
I wasn't speaking about that era. I was referencing the era before that, like NES/SNES etc. More early 90s and before gaming I guess that people seem to flock to as the 'golden age of gaming' whereas if you go back and play them I think you'll realize just how much better games are today. Not that we shouldn't celebrate what those games accomplished at the time, but looking at them as the pinnacle of gaming is silly.

I don't feel the same about the PS2 era. I still go back and play through games like THPS3, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. Even occasionally I'll have a hankering to play a PS1 game again (like Driver 2 which is my personal favorite game from childhood), though generally I like to try and find remastered versions of anything that isn't current gen if possible when I replay them.