1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Hardware still on sale? why

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by a_ump, Feb 21, 2010.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    so i've been playing around on newegg lately outa pure boredom cause we got tons of snow n got trapped in. But i've just been wondering why and how they still have 6600GT, 8600GTS, HD 2400PRO, Pentium 4, Sempron, etc in stock. Like haven't they discontinued all that stuff and quit manufacturing it? so where's all this stock coming from for it to be marketed at retail?

2. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Just old stock, what else do you expect them to do with it? Minus the Semprons none of that stuff is made anymore.

3. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
    I doubt they're still making any of it, just trying to get rid of what they have. Also, it's nice to have the opportunity to buy new outdated hardware for replacements and such.

4. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    There are new Semprons, for AM3.

5. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and at the price they're selling for they're awesome for an extremely cheap print/file server or a granny internet computer. Or, good for testing to see if socket AM3 boards work properly without spending a load on an AM3 test CPU.

6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Actually I had a Sempron 140 (never unlocked though I heard it can be) and it is far from granny internet computer. I would not recommend it for gaming, but is more than capable of handling its own for normal computer tasks. It is priced well, works great, and will serve as probably the best bang for your buck as an HTPC CPU you can find.

I think you have this strange idea it is some Sempron from 5 years ago with an AM3 socket design and it is not. Sempron is just a class of processors for AMD (low end/budget entry level). It is built with same tech as any other AM3 on the market and will out perform most dual cores of AMD's previous gen. and any Intel CPU in the same price range.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  7. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I see what you're saying man.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010