• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Hardware

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Motherboard ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/AURA
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Memory 2x8GB Ripjaw Savge X 2133
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon 29 270x OC
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Display(s) 2, one big one little
Case nighthawk 117 with 5 140mm fans and a 120
Audio Device(s) crappy at best
Power Supply 1500 W Silverstone PSU
Mouse Razer NAGA 2014 left handed edition
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
I have like a dozen computers. Most are in pieces. Some I have reassembled. Currently I have a Vostro 200 that I have resurrected. It does not have a GPU the PSU is only like 250W so it probably wouldn't power much of one anyway.
I put a new 500 gb HDD in it and maxed out the memory. It is rocking 2.5 Ghz CPU and a mind altering 4Gb RAM. :sleep:
It is my intention to build a couple of these and market them to either the housewife type crowd, meaning maybe someone who doesn't really need a pc except for email, surfing, etc, or maybe students. I have installed Office, which is valid and usable but out of date.
The license key is about $110 and I think my time to assemble and program is worth $40 or $50. But these aren't terribly marketable at $150 or $175.
Any suggestions on what to do to make these more marketable? They aren't new, they aren't fast, they aren't $800...or more. Which is my marketing hook. I am thinking of offering free repairs from the parts I have available for like, IDK, 90 days, maybe 6 mos? Not sure if that would be attractive to a potential customer or not.
I have all the stuff I could build an awesome windows xp machine, but who wants that?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You can get windows keys for cheaper than that (not gonna name since some here have issue with gray markets)

If you can get it running, maybe do flat rates for them. Like $50 for this and it'll do online schooling. If I have a few bucks I'll drop an ssd in and donate them out since I'm paying for the hobby and I've got low income friends that can't afford for their kids.

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
You can get windows keys for cheaper than that (not gonna name since some here have issue with gray markets)

If you can get it running, maybe do flat rates for them. Like $50 for this and it'll do online schooling. If I have a few bucks I'll drop an ssd in and donate them out since I'm paying for the hobby and I've got low income friends that can't afford for their kids.
Cheaper is ok if the keys are Legit. I know there are "sources" out there, but I am not willing to put any info out there and hope that A) the operation is legit, and B) someone isn't actively engaged in screwing me after they have my info.
The machine boots up and is all updated. The Activation key has not yet been paid for but is part of the purchase price. $50 or $65 for my time is the only real sticking point, maybe I need to break down the price better...
I don't understand the last sentence, Are you interested in helping me get these out the door? I think I can produce 4 or 5 different machines with similar specs.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Outdated office keys aren't worth squat since current LibreOffice licenses are free and work great.

I used to be in your shoes but there isn't a market for legacy computers - not when you can get brand new (with W10) for a few $100.

I even used to make usable computers from old parts to give away to needy families with school kids and small non-profit organizations. But even the demand for those computers died off a couple years ago because schools demanded current operating systems to run their required programs. Plus, you can get refurbished PCs and notebooks with current Windows licenses from places like Walmart for dirt cheap.

So I loaded up my truck and took everything to a local electronics recycling center where they paid me for the scrap value of the steel and aluminum and precious metals in the CPUs and RAM. And they also shredded the hard drives which was nice. The only thing they would not take, unless I paid them $10 each, was the old CRT monitors and TVs. This is because there is a small drop of mercury inside the CRT and Environmental Protection Agency rules and guidelines to recover and properly dispose of mercury makes recycling such a small amount of mercury cost prohibitive for the recycling center.

In the end, I cleaned out my basement. The money I got from the recycling center covered the paint and carpet remnant for the new basement guest bedroom. And I got a happy better half.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I used to be in your shoes but there isn't a market for legacy computers - not when you can get brand new (with W10) for a few $100.

One can keep them for so long they become retro instead of just legacy.

As for speficially the Vostro 200, that is C2D era. You can sell machines like that, especially if tricked out with valid Windows 10, 4GB RAM and especially especially if they have SSDs. But even with HDDs you can probably sell them, but it will not be lots of money. Think dozens of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars. Put 'em out for like $40 or so and they might get some buyers. Stuff like HP Elite, Dell Dimensions and the like, stuff more businness oriented, will likely fetch more money than Vostros and the like, as they are of higher quality.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This is true - but the point here is about trying to make some money by selling it. There is just not a market for retro or legacy computer equipment unless it will support W10 and modern programs. You might get lucky and sell one or two but nothing sustaining.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is true - but the point here is about trying to make some money by selling it. There is just not a market for retro or legacy computer equipment unless it will support W10 and modern programs.

This is nitpicking, but there absolutely is. Look at how expensive Amigas and Commodores in a good nick is, or IBM <= 486 systems. That is a different thing though, sure. But based on the Vostro 200 machine I assume these machines are at least C2D era, which actually are sellable. At least where I live. Not for much, but some.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
TPU has no issue with grey market keys. They put up advertisements for them every week in the news section.
Its not the advertisements as much as forum members getting salty about them. If I can avoid triggering those very few the easier it all is.

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none

As for speficially the Vostro 200, that is C2D era. You can sell machines like that, especially if tricked out with valid Windows 10, 4GB RAM and especially especially if they have SSDs. But even with HDDs you can probably sell them, but it will not be lots of money. Think dozens of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars. Put 'em out for like $40 or so and they might get some buyers. Stuff like HP Elite, Dell Dimensions and the like, stuff more businness oriented, will likely fetch more money than Vostros and the like, as they are of higher quality.
That is basically what I am doing. I changed my pricing structure, and broke it down. $110 for the key, $20 for the HDD, $30 for assembly and programming. I am retired and typically DGAF about how long it takes me. I can spend all day screwing with one more for the entertainment value than the opportunity cost.
I have a couple Quad core units up next, Maybe those will be more marketable, but probably not a hell of a lot more valuable is what I think you are saying.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is basically what I am doing. I changed my pricing structure, and broke it down. $110 for the key, $20 for the HDD, $30 for assembly and programming. I am retired and typically DGAF about how long it takes me. I can spend all day screwing with one more for the entertainment value than the opportunity cost.
I have a couple Quad core units up next, Maybe those will be more marketable, but probably not a hell of a lot more valuable is what I think you are saying.

No offense, but good luck trying to flog C2D's for $150. It won't work. Quads will be worth more, but not much.

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
This is true - but the point here is about trying to make some money by selling it. There is just not a market for retro or legacy computer equipment unless it will support W10 and modern programs. You might get lucky and sell one or two but nothing sustaining.
They do support win 10. they should support modern programs, just not a gaming rig. Probably suck to watch video's on too, haven't tried, maybe not.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This is nitpicking, but there absolutely is. Look at how expensive Amigas and Commodores in a good nick is, or IBM <= 486 systems. That is a different thing though, sure. But based on the Vostro 200 machine I assume these machines are at least C2D era, which actually are sellable. At least where I live. Not for much, but some.
Amigas can run windows, maybe not win10...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This is nitpicking
It is very nitpicking.
Look at how expensive Amigas and Commodores in a good nick is, or IBM <= 486 systems.
No. There is a HUGE difference between asking price and what people are willing to pay for them. Just because someone wants $500 for an old Commodore, that does not mean there are any buyers out there. Something has to be rare and almost mint or museum quality - and even then there has to be a willing buyer.

The facts are, there are literally mountains of used computer parts out there. And why is that? Because there is no significant market for such legacy or retro components. And for the record, when most think of retro, It's about aesthetics - something new imitating something old. Like this brand new, modern "retro" kitchen stove.
which actually are sellable.
Here's where you are missing the point. Lots of things may be "sellable". That in no way makes them worth buying. 99% of the truckload of old electronics I took to the recycling center I talked about in post #4 above was still totally functional and "sellable". Nobody wants 256MB RAM sticks, 386 or 486CPUs or the motherboards that supports them. Nobody wants used cassette players or VCR players, reel-to-reel tape decks, 2-channel (stereo) audio equipment, 4:3 monitors. And for sure, those few people that might want those items are not likely to pay the asking prices.

If what you suggested were true, there would be thriving used electronics stores and sites everywhere. Not happening. I wish it were true. I'd be rich selling all my old stuff.

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
It is very nitpicking.

No. There is a HUGE difference between asking price and what people are willing to pay for them. Just because someone wants $500 for an old Commodore, that does not mean there are any buyers out there. Something has to be rare and almost mint or museum quality - and even then there has to be a willing buyer.

The facts are, there are literally mountains of used computer parts out there. And why is that? Because there is no significant market for such legacy or retro components. And for the record, when most think of retro, It's about aesthetics - something new imitating something old. Like this brand new, modern "retro" kitchen stove.

Here's where you are missing the point. Lots of things may be "sellable". That in no way makes them worth buying. 99% of the truckload of old electronics I took to the recycling center I talked about in post #4 above was still totally functional and "sellable". Nobody wants 256MB RAM sticks, 386 or 486CPUs or the motherboards that supports them. Nobody wants used cassette players or VCR players, reel-to-reel tape decks, 2-channel (stereo) audio equipment, 4:3 monitors. And for sure, those few people that might want those items are not likely to pay the asking prices.

If what you suggested were true, there would be thriving used electronics stores and sites everywhere. Not happening. I wish it were true. I'd be rich selling all my old stuff.
I appreciate your input. What would you give as the bare minimum for specs on some vintage/retro/ old AF hardware? I have a couple quad core machines but not a lot of memory. I could put a couple together, but would need to get this and that. Somehow I have 4 or 5 amd MOBOs but only intel processors... And only duo core at that. Anyone wanna trade?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
AF hardware?

I could not give any minimum specs because that depends on the intended purpose of the computer.

Not here. See Buy/Sell/Trade/ Giveaway Forum.
not AF hard ware old AF hardware. AF is slang all the cool kids are using. Urban dictionary knows what it means.

Minimum specs means minimum saleable. like ok, due core is a no go. What about quad core? minimum RAM?
As it turns out I only have duo core CPU's. Quad core are $25 or $30 0n new egg, but that only adds to my price.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That is just one of many definitions. I will use the one I've been using since I was born in an "AF" hospital many years ago.

I know what minimum specs means. It does not change my answer. It depends on the intended purpose. The minimum specs for a computer used for Word, email and Facebook (basic school and office work) will be quite different from one used for gaming and quite different again for one used for CAD/CAE.

Saleable means nothing. A non-functional pile of broken computer parts is saleable - to the right buyer.

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
That is just one of many definitions. I will use the one I've been using since I was born in an "AF" hospital many years ago.

I know what minimum specs means. It does not change my answer. It depends on the intended purpose. The minimum specs for a computer used for Word, email and Facebook (basic school and office work) will be quite different from one used for gaming and quite different again for one used for CAD/CAE.

Saleable means nothing. A non-functional pile of broken computer parts is saleable - to the right buyer.
ok, point taken. Just the basic housewife/homework computer. I built a gaming rig that I use and have had CAD and other AutoDesk programs on it.
I know how to build and sell a high end computer, it is the low end stuff that I have hanging around that we are talking about.
I know you don't have an inventory list of the junk I have, and I swear I am not trying to make this frustrating.
Maybe I should rephrase the question.
If I rebuilt a quad core computer with a minimum of RAM, no GPU, a minimum PSU, A new HDD and a fresh copy of win 10, could I sell it for...$300? Could I sell it for $200? The parts required to build a quad core computer with what I have wouldn't cost more than $50.00, but I have to be able to get that plus a little for my time plus enough for the activation key, which would put me at a minimum of $200 ish. Is that a better question?
If I had 15 mother boards laying around and a half pound of memory, can I get anything at all out of it? I don't care about making a wage, I am retired and tinkering.
However, if I can put some cheap computers together and sell them to folks that can't afford several hundred for a pc, I am willing to. It isn't about me making a bunch of money as much as it is helping folks that need it. From what you have posted, it sounds like you went the recycling route, but IDK what you value your time at. Basically I am giving these components away assembled into a usable form for just a little$ for assembly and programing and reimbursement on parts so I can build the next computer.
If it wont work, it wont work.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, I may be old and a bit old fashioned but you talk about cool kids, then, IMO, denigrate women buy categorizing computers as housewife/homework systems? Wow!

Maybe I should rephrase the question.
The same question rephrased is going to get the same answer from me. And you won't even get a nibble from me if you try to sell a computer with such vague specs as "a quad core" and "minimum of RAM". And I don't do hard drives. And certainly not "minimum PSU" when I don't even know the brand or model number. You are barking up the wrong tree - if not wrong forest!

If you want to try to sell your components, put them together with a sign that says, "Make offer".

System Name MonsterBot
Processor AMD FX 6350
Cooling 280 mm EVGA AIO
Storage 4 500 gb HDD
Keyboard Redragon
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores none
Well, I may be old and a bit old fashioned but you talk about cool kids, then, IMO, denigrate women buy categorizing computers as housewife/homework systems? Wow!

The same question rephrased is going to get the same answer from me. And you won't even get a nibble from me if you try to sell a computer with such vague specs as "a quad core" and "minimum of RAM". And I don't do hard drives. And certainly not "minimum PSU" when I don't even know the brand or model number. You are barking up the wrong tree - if not wrong forest!

If you want to try to sell your components, put them together with a sign that says, "Make offer".
Clearly I have offended you, my apologies.
Sorry I wasted your time.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is very nitpicking.

Working 386/486 computers sell for at least €100 where I live. Amigas/Commodores and the like can go for close to €400 and even higher if mint. Working reel to reels >€100 fo sure. IBM model M keyboars can get really expensive. Of course it has to be the right thing. 256MD DDR sticks are worthless because they are too new, but a Pentium 3 slot 1 based machine with maxed out memory, an old GPU and a good auido card and preloaded with windows 98se would fetch some money. There are not mountains of stuff like that anymore, at least not if you want them to work without having to do pretty massive repairs. Finding working AT power supplies is a PITA, for example. I haven't seen a slot motherboard for many years, anywhere.

And as for your "selleble" point. I find it far better to try and find a home for old stuff rather than scrapping it. C2D and especially C2Q is just modern enough so you can use them as a modern but slow computer. With a low enough price someone will buy it and maybe use it.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
There is market for this stuff but it's very much a niche market. (collectors, other PC builders) Use to be you could make money on used PCs. I've bought pallets of old PCs and sold them. But the market has been saturated with junk, people are tired of being ripped off by Craigs List, Ebay. Its just doesn't move. Unless you're in a area where parts are limited. I've donated a ton of stuff that just sat for years. I've also thrown parts in the trash that were still good just worthless. And I have a ISO 56k modem sitting in the closet

Sorry Bill, I lol at you not knowing what old AF hardware means. We both are old AF

Last edited:
Well i like the the old stuff & i'm looking for Corsair C2 1GB Memory modules. I'm posting here with my AMD FX-60/DDR1 desktop..
I have said this a few times here on TPU, I don't own anything higher than a Acer Ferrari 1200 Laptop (DDR2) which is more than enough to surf the web, & I use the desktop for playing games.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There is market for this stuff but it's very much a niche market.
Exactly my point. And a very small niche market too. So if you have an old Commodore to sell, you might get lucky and sell it for a good price. But then what? Can you then retire? Does that pay your rent, car payment and insurance for that month? What about next month? Do you have 100s more to sell to keep your income coming in? Are there 100s more buyers ready to pay your next car payments?

My point is about making a living by selling used computer parts. To make a living, the supply and demand has to be sustainable. The supply may be there, but not the demand. Even as a type of supplemental income, it just isn't sustainable because there just are not that many buyers.

Its just doesn't move. Unless you're in a area where parts are limited. I've donated a ton of stuff that just sat for years.
Again, my point. That said, I don't know of any place in the developed world where parts are so limited you can make a living selling used parts.
And as for your "selleble" point. I find it far better to try and find a home for old stuff rather than scrapping it.
Of course! I agree completely. That is exactly why I used to take old computers and computer parts, refurbish them into working computers and donate them through a local church to needy families. But I could easily have 50 - 100 working computers but not find 5 families that could use them. Why? Because they didn't support W10, or their performance could not keep up with needs. Or because they needed a portable computer, not a PC. And if they did support W10, I could not afford to buy legitimate Windows licenses for each one. I could put Linux on them, but the school system required Windows.

Trying to avoid scraping computers is exactly why, when XP became obsolete for the Internet, I used to repurpose XP machines, including my own, into NAS computers for use on "local" networks. This kept them (and a lot of old hard drives) out of the landfills (at least for awhile).

I just don't feel, Frick, that you see the big picture. There are 10s, perhaps 100s of millions of old, used computers out there that still run, but don't support W10 , today's apps, or meet today's performance demands. So again, the supply is there, but not the demand.
Sorry Bill, I lol at you not knowing what old AF hardware means. We both are old AF
LOL - well, I admit, that use of AF was a new one for me. I certainly know and fully understand what "old As F***" means and have used that phrase many times myself - though usually it was about a person! ;) And no doubt, some has used that to describe me too - but they were wise enough not to do it to my face! ;) Well - at least not loud enough that I could hear! :rolleyes:

But "old Air Force hardware" is another term I have used often, and had to maintain too.

BTW, what's that loud, high-pitch ringing noise? :confused: