• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

old pc, new heatsink, PC wont POST

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
@Hood im certain i had the bracket correct, with the screws in the correct holes for the socket type
The easy way to check is by trying to slightly twist the heatsink, you know, just to make it look aligned perfectly straight - when mine was too tight, it wouldn't move at all. After I corrected it, you could move it fairly easily. If yours can still be moved (when fully tightened down), it's not too tight. If it's so tight it wont move, there's a problem somewhere. The X bracket is easy to get wrong, because it's not that obvious, and looks fine even when it's on wrong. The mounting system has drawn criticism from many people.

Processor i5-4690K @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB G.Skill DDR3 12800
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 660 TI 2GB PE/OC
Storage 125gb SSD, 256gb SSD, 500gb HDD, 1tb HDD, 2tb HDD
Display(s) Acer G235HAbd 23"
Case Corsair C70 Vengeance
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 3
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10x64 Pro
will take that under advisement. thanks

Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
okay. latest attempt at fixing this.

PSU reinstalled to case, connected to wall power. grounded self with contact to case and psu housing (might be too late for that, but still). PSU switch to ON position.
reinstalled motherboard into case, cleaned cpu and heatsink. removed cpu and checked pins (all straight, nothing bent or missing, no wear or corrosion visible to naked eye). replaced cpu in socket. applied TIM, and stock cooler.
attached motherboard power, cpu power. case fans attached to their respective motherboard headers.
power connections all firmly and securely seated.
all fans continue to spin after power on.

boot with GPU in 2nd pcie slot: fail, no beeps
boot with zero ram: fail, no beeps
boot with 1 stick ram: fail, no beeps.
boot with ram in A1/B1 slots: fail, no beeps
boot with ps/2 kb attached: fail no beeps. keyboard's Sleep button will light up, but not numlock, capslock or scroll lock (lack of lights expected behavior with this kb)
boot with cmos jumper in Clear position: fail, no beeps.
boot after cmos jumper returned to Normal: fail, no beeps.
--- i did borrow a multimeter, cmos battery reads 3v DC, or within 0.2 of that mark.

gpu heatsink is noticeably warm to the touch, cpu heatsink is barely above ambient room temp, if at all.
south bridge and north bridge heatsinks also warm to touch. even the ram heat spreaders feel warmer than the cpu heat sink, but that's debatable.

short of dropping the cpu into another known working am3 mobo, or a known working cpu into this motherboard, i think im out of options here.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
short of dropping the cpu into another known working am3 mobo, or a known working cpu into this motherboard, i think im out of options here.
It seems that might be your only option left.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Throwing parts at this problem might be easy, but where is the fun in that?

Before you do tho....

Remove the backing plate from the back of the motherboard. Use anything you have that can add a layer of protection between the bracket and the mother board, since this is temporary for testing even folded paper towel will do. Also, before re-installing the plate, make sure there are no solder "tits" sticking out too far that might penetrate the cheap foam insulation that comes with those cooler kits.

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
Dear northbound, Did you check your psu with one of these?..
61tAgbZcfEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or.. try connecting one of these to the motherboard and check for bios beeps..
sku_311781_1.jpg

Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
@Devon68 yes, but i dont have any other am3 cpus or motherboards, so that's out.

@DeathtoGnomes i still have the stock cooler & stock backplate on, the backplate is plastic and the mount screws are isolated from the mobo pcb inside...(for lack of a better word) nipples, that go thru the the mobo from the back to the front.
i removed the backplate folded a paper towel in behind it.
there's no improvement, pc still refuses to show signs of life. however, when i press the FP power switch, im now noticing (maybe its new, maybe i just missed it before) im seeing the briefest flicker of light from the disk activity LED, a super quick blink before the power LED comes on. like its lit for less than 500ms and off again, and maybe 100-200ms later the power LED comes on. as i said, im not sure if that's a new occurrence after the towel or not
between that, and having it out of the case on cardboard earlier (a couple posts up, #13) im certain its not shorting to the motherboard tray in the case.

@Jose Jeswin i dont have power supply tester, but i did borrow the psu from my game rig (its an antec earthwatts 650w unit) which absolutely does work, but made no difference in the pc in question. that tells me that while the el-cheapo bargain basement CM psu might still be a problem, it's not the problem
there is also one of those speakers mounted to the case near the front fan, and attached to the appropriate motherboard header, but i get no beeps from it at all. maybe the speaker's failed, maybe it hasnt, i dont have another one to test with.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Put the reset switch where the power button was on the motherboard, try it, if same, most likely the mobo is kaput, you can always try the chip in another board at a shop.

Sometimes you should only need the necessities in just to get a post screen, that is mobo, ram, gpu. May have to try 1 dimm even.

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
Dear northbound...your last resort may be to plug in a bios post card which will show you bios error codes...I have used one and it has helped me through some difficult situations..
POST_card_3usd.jpg

make sure you get one which shows you compatible bios codes..for e.g....AWARDBIOS or AMIBIOS or PHOENIXBIOS..

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
@Devon68 yes, but i dont have any other am3 cpus or motherboards, so that's out.

@DeathtoGnomes i still have the stock cooler & stock backplate on, the backplate is plastic and the mount screws are isolated from the mobo pcb inside...(for lack of a better word) nipples, that go thru the the mobo from the back to the front.
i removed the backplate folded a paper towel in behind it.
there's no improvement, pc still refuses to show signs of life. however, when i press the FP power switch, im now noticing (maybe its new, maybe i just missed it before) im seeing the briefest flicker of light from the disk activity LED, a super quick blink before the power LED comes on. like its lit for less than 500ms and off again, and maybe 100-200ms later the power LED comes on. as i said, im not sure if that's a new occurrence after the towel or not
between that, and having it out of the case on cardboard earlier (a couple posts up, #13) im certain its not shorting to the motherboard tray in the case.

@Jose Jeswin i dont have power supply tester, but i did borrow the psu from my game rig (its an antec earthwatts 650w unit) which absolutely does work, but made no difference in the pc in question. that tells me that while the el-cheapo bargain basement CM psu might still be a problem, it's not the problem
there is also one of those speakers mounted to the case near the front fan, and attached to the appropriate motherboard header, but i get no beeps from it at all. maybe the speaker's failed, maybe it hasnt, i dont have another one to test with.
I'm getting confused there of whats been done and whats been suggested. The HDD light blink means nothing at this point. If you are not powering up with a working PSU, why are you still testing with the old PSU? it still could be bad, and it could have caused the motherboard and the HDD to go bad, if those are bad then a working PSU wont work either.

MY backing plate suggestion was because I assumed you were using the one that came with the new cooler, making my suggesting futile. :shadedshu:

idk, too many chefs here. :lovetpu:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I'm getting confused there of whats been done and whats been suggested. The HDD light blink means nothing at this point. If you are not powering up with a working PSU, why are you still testing with the old PSU? it still could be bad, and it could have caused the motherboard and the HDD to go bad, if those are bad then a working PSU wont work either.

MY backing plate suggestion was because I assumed you were using the one that came with the new cooler, making my suggesting futile. :shadedshu:

idk, too many chefs here. :lovetpu:

Chiefs*

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
i believe the op has pretty much narrowed it down to either cpu, mb or ram. at this point he needs to see if his cpu and ram are still good. if so then its the mb. everything has been gone threw except for verifying these components. once he finds out witch of these is bad then he can make the necessary repair.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
@Assimilator with only the CPU, motherboard, and power, and literally nothing else, what am i looking for to indicate success?
[/QUOTE]

If the board and CPU aren't stone dead, the board should beep like a mofo at having no RAM in. (I don't know if your system has a built-in buzzer/speaker to beep with, if not you'll need to connect one as @eidairaman1 mentioned.)

Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Corsair H100
I'm getting confused there of whats been done and whats been suggested.

just to recap, to begin with i removed original stock cooler, installed hyper212evo per included instructions, and pc has utterly refused to boot since, even as far as the bios.
no video, no disk activity, no POST code beeps from the mobo speaker. speaker is external, and connected to mobo header pins instead of surface mount. all fans spin.

pc is currently in it's default/last-worked setup, with stock cooler installed, gpu installed, both ram sticks installed, system and storage drives, case fans connected, front panel headers connected
  • i have two GPUs available for this pc, both are confirmed to work. swapped GPUs, and PCIe slots.
  • monitor is shared with gaming rig, monitor confirmed to work, HDMI cable likewise
  • removed the hyper212 and replaced the stock cooler, retention bracket and backplate.
  • thermal paste gets removed, surfaces cleaned, and reapplied
  • removed cpu from socket, inspected for damaged pins, replaced into socket
  • power tails from PSU rechecked to be securely connected to motherboard
  • used confirmed-working PSU from gaming rig
  • CMOS battery has been removed
  • CMOS jumper has been moved to CLEAR and back
  • checked CMOS voltage
  • reseated RAM
  • removed RAM entirely.
  • used 1 stick of RAM
  • moved RAM to other ram slots
  • no visible physical damage to motherboard surface components
  • disconnected SSD/HDD
  • removed entire motherboard from case onto cardboard
  • cpu/board/power and front panel power switch only
  • checked hyper212 backplate for damaged insulation
  • used paper towel between (stock, plastic) backplate for additional insulation guarantee
  • attached ps/2 keyboard
  • swapped the front panel power and disk LED connectors, just for kicks and giggles, both LEDs work

what i cant do
  • replace only the CPU (dont have another one)
  • replace only the motherboard (dont have another one
  • 'borrow' my gaming rig's PSU for extended periods of time (because i need it where it is, makes it hard to reply to this thread otherwise)
what i haven'd done (yet)
  • installed ram into my gaming rig (both are DDR3, should work, right?) to confirm RAM's good
  • installed one/both drives into gaming rig to confirm working.
ill try that later today, but i doubt that either of the drives or ram sticks have failed, keeping in mind that both have previously been isolated from this system with no change. i fully expect both will work in my gaming rig.
everything else i've been able to disconnect from the motherboard works (except maybe the mobo speaker, not sure about that one either way)

@DeathtoGnomes you asked why im still using the old PSU. a couple reasons, 1) i don't know that it's bad. the pc wont start even with a good PSU, so im going to assume original one works, and if nothing else it's still able to provide power to the motherboard, gpu and drives. 2) the only other PSU i have available belongs to my gaming rig, and since it's also my main pc these days, it'll get to keep all its components. my choice is either best PC works, or no PC works.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
you're at a point where you need to take it to a shop get the motherboard and the processor tested.

You could have bad power source in home, (not psu but power outlet)

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
chefs = kitchen
Chiefs = racial implications in a PC society that I didnt wanna get roasted over. Tag, your it!

just to recap, to begin with i removed original stock cooler, installed hyper212evo per included instructions, and pc has utterly refused to boot since, even as far as the bios.
no video, no disk activity, no POST code beeps from the mobo speaker. speaker is external, and connected to mobo header pins instead of surface mount. all fans spin.

pc is currently in it's default/last-worked setup, with stock cooler installed, gpu installed, both ram sticks installed, system and storage drives, case fans connected, front panel headers connected
  • i have two GPUs available for this pc, both are confirmed to work. swapped GPUs, and PCIe slots.
  • monitor is shared with gaming rig, monitor confirmed to work, HDMI cable likewise
  • removed the hyper212 and replaced the stock cooler, retention bracket and backplate.
  • thermal paste gets removed, surfaces cleaned, and reapplied
  • removed cpu from socket, inspected for damaged pins, replaced into socket
  • power tails from PSU rechecked to be securely connected to motherboard
  • used confirmed-working PSU from gaming rig
  • CMOS battery has been removed
  • CMOS jumper has been moved to CLEAR and back
  • checked CMOS voltage
  • reseated RAM
  • removed RAM entirely.
  • used 1 stick of RAM
  • moved RAM to other ram slots
  • no visible physical damage to motherboard surface components
  • disconnected SSD/HDD
  • removed entire motherboard from case onto cardboard
  • cpu/board/power and front panel power switch only
  • checked hyper212 backplate for damaged insulation
  • used paper towel between (stock, plastic) backplate for additional insulation guarantee
  • attached ps/2 keyboard
  • swapped the front panel power and disk LED connectors, just for kicks and giggles, both LEDs work

what i cant do
  • replace only the CPU (dont have another one)
  • replace only the motherboard (dont have another one
  • 'borrow' my gaming rig's PSU for extended periods of time (because i need it where it is, makes it hard to reply to this thread otherwise)
what i haven'd done (yet)
  • installed ram into my gaming rig (both are DDR3, should work, right?) to confirm RAM's good
  • installed one/both drives into gaming rig to confirm working.
ill try that later today, but i doubt that either of the drives or ram sticks have failed, keeping in mind that both have previously been isolated from this system with no change. i fully expect both will work in my gaming rig.
everything else i've been able to disconnect from the motherboard works (except maybe the mobo speaker, not sure about that one either way)

@DeathtoGnomes you asked why im still using the old PSU. a couple reasons, 1) i don't know that it's bad. the pc wont start even with a good PSU, so im going to assume original one works, and if nothing else it's still able to provide power to the motherboard, gpu and drives. 2) the only other PSU i have available belongs to my gaming rig, and since it's also my main pc these days, it'll get to keep all its components. my choice is either best PC works, or no PC works.

And does the PSU power up with a jumper too?