• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Old Socket A motherboard won't quite boot, out of ideas, need some help.

Hello, guys, I'm in need of some fresh ideas :)

The mobo (or rather, mofo) is my old Socket A Gigabyte GA-7DX rev 4.0 with my old Athlon XP 1700+ inside, I remember it was working fine some years ago when I put it in a box and stored it away. Last night I've been trying to get it to boot properly, but so far nothing has helped.

What it does:
  • When trying to boot all fans start spinning, the DIMM LED lights up, the CPU heatsink heats up slightly (after a while), but the board can't actually POST, it just emits 1 long beep every 3 seconds;
What I've done so far:
  • Did a bit of research online, found different answers/guesses as to what exactly the long beeps mean (mostly CPU faults); Manual says it's Award BIOS, sticker on the board says PhoenixBIOS D686 (same thing, I know), anno 1998;
  • Inspected the board - it's as good as new - no bad capacitors, no physical damage, no nothing;
  • Cleared CMOS - no change;
  • Removed the battery, still no boot (battery is at 2.82V, don't know if it's enough but it sounds alright to me);
  • Removed all memory - sound changes to 3 clicks per second;
  • Moved RAM sticks around, single and dual - still long beeps;
  • Tested RAM on another machine - RAM is fine;
  • Played around with the DIP switch - no change;
  • Put the graphics card in another motherboard - some artifacts, but at least it lets you know you've booted successfully;
  • Tried both with and without a graphics card in the AGP slot - no change;
  • Tested two different PSUs - no change;
  • Removed the CPU heatsink, inspected the CPU - no damage, put on new thermal paste just in case, cleaned the socket and pins from dust - still no dice;
  • The board is being tested while on cardboard surface, no way something is shorting.
  • No CD/HDD/Floppy or anyhing else attached. Bare MoBo/CPU + RAM/VGA configurations being tested.
So now I summon you, self-proclaimed Gods of teh Interwebz, to help me beat some life into this fucker... or just announce the time of death and throw it in the bin.

I know what you're probably thinking - why even bother, it's slower than a phone, it's not worth it, just give up - yes, it would be the smart thing to do. But I'm not smart. I'm nostalgic and stubborn. I want to play some Max Payne 1&2, NFS Underground 1&2, Half-Life 1&2, GTA 3/VC/SA (and so on...) on my old hardware, complete with some CRT goodness. And judging by what's happened so far, my masochism marathon has already begun ;D

Last edited:
System Name MoFo 2
Processor AMD PhenomII 1100T @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV
Cooling Swiftec 655 pump, Apogee GT,, MCR360mm Rad, 1/2 loop.
Memory 8GB DDR3-2133 @ 1900 8.9.9.24 1T
Video Card(s) HD7970 1250/1750
Storage Agility 3 SSD 6TB RAID 0 on RAID Card
Display(s) 46" 1080P Toshiba LCD
Case Rosewill R6A34-BK modded (thanks to MKmods)
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Power Supply 750W PC Power & Cooling modded (thanks to MKmods)
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Pull the CPU and clean pins and socket, pull the board and make sure nothing is bad on the backside of the board, attach nothing but CPU and cooler and see what you get.

Pull the CPU and clean pins and socket, pull the board and make sure nothing is bad on the backside of the board, attach nothing but CPU and cooler and see what you get.
Already cleaned the CPU pins and socket, forgot to mention. Been testing the board on top of a cardboard box - no shorting possible. Nothing but CPU and RAM is on it.

Will edit the first post.

System Name Kaby
Processor Intel Core i5 7600K @4.7 GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120V hydro cooler
Memory 4*8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury @3000 MHz 15-16-16-35 2T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 270X ToxicOC: Core: 1200 MHz, memory 1575 MHz
Storage HyperX 3K 240 GB+Fury 240 GB SSDs, WD10EARS, ST500DM002, ST2000DM006
Display(s) Dell S2418H, 1080p 75 Hz, HDR
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 (Supreme FX)
Power Supply Corsair CS750M
Mouse Cooler Master Storm Devastator
Keyboard Cooler Master Storm Devastator
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The way a video card is tested before POST can also be the problem. You checked the video card and it is giving artifacts. So something is definitely wrong with it and the motherboard BIOS is programmed such that it will check the graphics card "more thoroughly". I know a similar problem like yours. A friend with an artifacting HD 6850 GPU came to me. In my system, it would pass the POST, enter BIOS and even go to safe mode. In his system, it would not even pass the POST.
Since your system correctly gives the memory not found beeps without RAM, I suppose the CPU is ok.
I think POST as:
1. Check CPU/chipset
2. Check RAM
3. Check video card.

So I would suggest you to check using a different video card.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD-9370BE @4.6
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 +SB950
Cooling CM Nepton 280L
Memory G.Skill Sniper 16gb DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage C:\SSD (240GB), D:\Seagate (2TB), E:\Western Digital (1TB)
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Gonna have to try another CPU

OR

You could try to contact Gigabyte and get the pin-outs for the CPU socket and check the voltages which would tell if the capacitors dried out as @dorsetknob thinks is possible.

The only other thing possible is a FUBAR BIOS chip.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu with AM4 bracket
Memory PNY Anarchy-X XLR8 Red DDR4 3200 MHz C15-17-17-17-35
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster C27H711 OC refresh rate 110Hz
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v1903
Wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS backup battery (CR2032.) The backup battery should be supplying 3.30V with power removed from the mobo so 2.82V is on the low side.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor 2600K @ 4.4GHz / Dual Xeon 5675's @ 3.33GHz 12c/24t
Motherboard Sabertooth Z77 / GA-7TESM
Cooling Deepcool Assassin - 3 Fans / Custom
Memory 2x8GB 2133MHz Samsung Dual Channel / 6x4GB 1333MHz Samsung Hexa Channel
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 980 SC / Asus Strix 980ti
Storage Various SSD/HD
Display(s) Samsung 23' 2048x1152 / Various Dells
Case Sunbeam Transformer Silver / Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) SB X-fi on all systems
Power Supply Corsair TX 650w / Evga NEX 750B
Mouse Alienware AW558 @ 5000 DPI
Keyboard Asus KB34211
Software XP64/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
It's either the ram or gpu not seated correctly.

wiggle them maybe

System Name RyzenGtEvo
Processor Amd R7 3800X@4.350/525
Motherboard Crosshair hero7 @bios 2703
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu Monoblock Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in two sticks.
Video Card(s) Sapphire refference Rx vega 64 EK waterblocked
Storage Samsung Nvme Pg981, silicon power 1Tb samsung 840 basic as a primocache drive for, WD2Tbgrn +3Tbgrn,
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync, LG 49" 4K 60hz ,Oculus
Case Lianli p0-11 dynamic
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi
Mouse Roccat Kova
Keyboard Roccat Iksu force fx
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy
The way a video card is tested before POST can also be the problem. You checked the video card and it is giving artifacts. So something is definitely wrong with it and the motherboard BIOS is programmed such that it will check the graphics card "more thoroughly". I know a similar problem like yours. A friend with an artifacting HD 6850 GPU came to me. In my system, it would pass the POST, enter BIOS and even go to safe mode. In his system, it would not even pass the POST.
Since your system correctly gives the memory not found beeps without RAM, I suppose the CPU is ok.
I think POST as:
1. Check CPU/chipset
2. Check RAM
3. Check video card.

Exactly this one long beep is normally no GPU detected in that era board.

System Name Custom Built
Processor Intel Core i3 6100
Motherboard Asus H110M-K-D3
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Kingston ValueRAM
Video Card(s) MSI GT 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Samsung EVO 750 120GB + Kingston HyperX Fury 120 GB + 2TB WD Hard disk | Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 24es
Case A old one
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Netway
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1803
As said try another video card
Clean the AGP slot on motherboard too and check if there is damage on its pins.
Check nearby mosfets/tracks/SMD components

System Name RyzenGtEvo
Processor Amd R7 3800X@4.350/525
Motherboard Crosshair hero7 @bios 2703
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu Monoblock Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in two sticks.
Video Card(s) Sapphire refference Rx vega 64 EK waterblocked
Storage Samsung Nvme Pg981, silicon power 1Tb samsung 840 basic as a primocache drive for, WD2Tbgrn +3Tbgrn,
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync, LG 49" 4K 60hz ,Oculus
Case Lianli p0-11 dynamic
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi
Mouse Roccat Kova
Keyboard Roccat Iksu force fx
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy
Clean the AGP/PCI slot on motherboard too and check if there is damage on its pins.
If it needs power then make sure it's plugged in right too.

Processor A10-7850k
Motherboard MSI A88X-G43
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x4 Gskill PC3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270
Storage 120gb ssd / 640 gb hd
Display(s) Acer 24in
Of you need a new board I may be able to help

don't suppose you have a spare CPU to try ?
Capacitors may Be kaput ( not swollen or leaking but Dried out from old age)
No spare CPU, I suppose I could find something for around $2-3 on my local second-hand market. That, or find someone down for tests. Now, about the capacitors - yeah, I'm aware they might sometimes appear ok but actually have gone rogue, but between the amount of time I spent soldering a couple of capacitors on some board last time and the fact that I count no less than 41 of these bastards on this board, the hairs on my lower back begin to stand up.

I think POST as:
1. Check CPU/chipset
2. Check RAM
3. Check video card.

I don't know, it could be that. Same as with the CPU, this is something I might find cheap or get someone willing to lend stuff for testing. Doesn't sound likely, but at this point, who knows.

Gonna have to try another CPU

OR

You could try to contact Gigabyte and get the pin-outs for the CPU socket and check the voltages which would tell if the capacitors dried out as @dorsetknob thinks is possible.

The only other thing possible is a FUBAR BIOS chip.
Hmm, as in run the board with no CPU and stick the probes down the socket holes? I like it. Sounds elegant.

Wouldn't hurt to replace the CMOS backup battery (CR2032.) The backup battery should be supplying 3.30V with power removed from the mobo so 2.82V is on the low side.
One of my newer boards will act as a donor. Tomorrow.

It's either the ram or gpu not seated correctly.

wiggle them maybe
It's often the case that something as silly as this is the culprit. Knowing that, I must have changed the DIMMs over 50 times during testing yesterday and some more today, I reckon this is as good a wiggle as they're going to get. I also manually held the graphics card at different angles just to try that. No luck so far.

Exactly this one long beep is normally no GPU detected in that era board.
Now this sounds nice. Concrete and nice.

Clean the AGP slot on motherboard too and check if there is damage on its pins.
I looked at the slot yesterday, everything in there is peachy as far as I'm concerned. Clean and straight. Blew some air in just in case.

If it needs power then make sure it's plugged in right too.
It's a GeForce 2 Ti, the cooler on it is the size of the chipset cooler on the motherboard. Simply adorable. No additional power needed.

Of you need a new board I may be able to help
You have one of the same model? I appreciate your willingness, however shipping costs from Ohio to Bulgaria may be a bit of a bitch :D

I like where this is going. Can't guarantee I'm gonna find another GPU for testing first thing tomorrow, but I'm definitely gonna look into that. Thanks for the brainstorming so far, guys. I will write back.

Last edited:
Processor A10-7850k
Motherboard MSI A88X-G43
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x4 Gskill PC3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270
Storage 120gb ssd / 640 gb hd
Display(s) Acer 24in
Ha! Sorry , didn't realize you were in Bulgaria... I actually have a couple of socket A boards here with cpus

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K at stock (hits 5 gees+ easily)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Green 4TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2720Z | Asus VG278HE (both 27", 144Hz, 3D Vision 2, 1080p)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair HX 850W v1
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Looks like you've been pretty thorough with the troubleshooting. Only thing I can suggest is to replace that cmos battery with a fresh one and especially the graphics card with a properly working one. If that doesn't work, then it's probably toast.

Besides dry capacitors, it's quite possible that something got corroded right inside where you can't see which is causing this problem, or a component has aged and gone out of spec.

Tagging @eidairaman1 for more brainstorming action. :cool:

System Name Delta // Alpha-HTPC
Processor Intel i7 6700K // Intel i5 4570
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z270X-Gaming K7 // Gigabyte H97M -D3H
Cooling Corsair H80i V2 // Silverstone NT-06 Pro
Memory Corsair DDR4 3000 32gb //G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080// EVGA GTX 980 ti
Storage Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512, 2 Tb FireCuda// Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" 1440X 2560 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 550D // Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Corsair TX850M // SeaSonic G Series 550w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cooler Master CK550 RBG
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
No dip switches?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
With some boards the repeated long beep first described in your post is a RAM error alarm that's typical with many of them. I have one that's very similar if not the same related to the board model.
For testing set the dipswitches to have it run at 100MHz.

Try "Rocking" the CPU in the socket - That means moving the CPU locking lever up and down several times to help clean off the contact points in the socket and the pins of the CPU. Do this for at least a minute before setting the cooler back on to test, same thing with the RAM and GPUs too.

Since the board had sat up for so long the most probrable thing is simple corrosion somewhere, that's why I suggest rocking the CPU and repeatedly moving the RAM sticks up and down, not a side-to-side wiggle - That just makes the contact points in the slots loosen up and can cause a bad contact spot(s). Always do it the way the sticks go in and out and it's the same with the GPU.
Check and be double-sure your CMOS jumper is in the correct position.
Also look into the ATX PSU header to be sure nothing looks out of place/dirty there too, if it has the extra 4 pin header for the CPU you'd need to do the same with it.

As suggested check the caps themselves, ANY caps with a bulge are bad, even if the bulge is barely noticeable.
If it still doesn't work after all that, if you feel like tinkering with it you could reflow the legs of the caps with a soldering pen/station if you have one to use. Believe it or not I fixed one of my "Dead" AN7's by simply removing and reinstalling the caps, none were replaced at all and it's doing fine, was throwing the dreaded 90 code before I did that to it.

Good luck!

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 1080 nilla
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Find someone with the same board, ask them to hot swap your Bios chip in to reflash it(cheaper then buying a new one) Ive done it a few times.

Ha! Sorry , didn't realize you were in Bulgaria... I actually have a couple of socket A boards here with cpus
I will be sure to snag them if I ever drop by :D

Looks like you've been pretty thorough with the troubleshooting. Only thing I can suggest is to replace that cmos battery with a fresh one and especially the graphics card with a properly working one. If that doesn't work, then it's probably toast.

Besides dry capacitors, it's quite possible that something got corroded right inside where you can't see which is causing this problem, or a component has aged and gone out of spec.
I'll get to the battery and graphics card in a bit. I also had the thought of something quietly rotting on the inside, although it has been stored like medicine - in a cool and dry cabinet.

No dip switches?
I did mention that in the first post, maybe you missed it. Yes, there's a DIP switch. I did some fiddling. Some more today. No change.

With some boards the repeated long beep first described in your post is a RAM error alarm that's typical with many of them. I have one that's very similar if not the same related to the board model.
For testing set the dipswitches to have it run at 100MHz.

Try "Rocking" the CPU in the socket - That means moving the CPU locking lever up and down several times to help clean off the contact points in the socket and the pins of the CPU. Do this for at least a minute before setting the cooler back on to test, same thing with the RAM and GPUs too.

Since the board had sat up for so long the most probrable thing is simple corrosion somewhere, that's why I suggest rocking the CPU and repeatedly moving the RAM sticks up and down, not a side-to-side wiggle - That just makes the contact points in the slots loosen up and can cause a bad contact spot(s). Always do it the way the sticks go in and out and it's the same with the GPU.
Check and be double-sure your CMOS jumper is in the correct position.
Also look into the ATX PSU header to be sure nothing looks out of place/dirty there too, if it has the extra 4 pin header for the CPU you'd need to do the same with it.

As suggested check the caps themselves, ANY caps with a bulge are bad, even if the bulge is barely noticeable.
If it still doesn't work after all that, if you feel like tinkering with it you could reflow the legs of the caps with a soldering pen/station if you have one to use. Believe it or not I fixed one of my "Dead" AN7's by simply removing and reinstalling the caps, none were replaced at all and it's doing fine, was throwing the dreaded 90 code before I did that to it.

Good luck!
Dip switches were tested at multiple positions, 100 MHz was covered - no change. I rocked the socket like a hurricane (360+ times - yes, I counted them), both with the CPU in and out - no change. RAM and AGP slots are positively clean - if there ever was anything in the way at the start, all the friction from installing and removing and blowing would have surely removed it by now. I only wiggled the AGP card slightly, I don't intend to bend the contact points. The CMOS Reset jumper is in its correct position. The ATX header is clean, plus the board lacks a 4-pin CPU header altogether. All caps appear perfect. I might resolder ot replace them, but only as a last resort, cause it would take me a lot of time. Thanks for listing all the stuff :)

Find someone with the same board, ask them to hot swap your Bios chip in to reflash it(cheaper then buying a new one) Ive done it a few times.
As adventurous as that sounds, it would be easier to just find someone who does BIOS programming and flash the chip there. I can't figure out how I'd remove the chip. Only some fancy IR station comes to mind.

So, folks, today the board saw the following:
  • Replaced the battery with the next best one I could find, running at 2.98V - that changed nothing;
  • Installed another graphics card (one that I was told was 99% guaranteed OK) - no go; Same guy is going to lend one that is 100% in the following days;
  • No CPU in the socket = fans spin, no clicks or beeps from the speaker;
  • Some more RAM swaps, switches and substitutions were performed, the only times the dreaded beeps were gone were when a DIMM was not properly seated (apparently), but no good boot to speak of;
  • DIP switch got its fair share of further tickling, nothing new;
What I'm contemplating right now - finding out how to test the voltage on the CPU/RAM/AGP slots. I think it's the most empirical and accurate thing to do now.

Thanks for your support so far. Keeps me going! :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
The BIOS chip to your board is removable (Looks like it is from what I dug up) so getting it out shoudn't be a huge issue.
Instead of finding someone to program the chip you can get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Programmer-for-PC-M-B-BIOS-repairing-with-Economic-shipping-/271313593344?hash=item3f2b8ce400:g:B6QAAMXQrNtR0sQZ and do it yourself easily.
I have one and it's a life-saver, easy to use and the software it need is in the listing too, just have to scroll further down for the links. Extremely useful item and once you learn how to use it you won't regret getting one.
As it is in the board make sure the little dot on the beveled end is aligned with the arrow in the socket and flash away - No floppy to deal with and no need to worry about switches in the flashing routine including what's used to erase a chip, the software does it all.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 2700X | i7 2600 | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA-H77M-D3H | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling AMD Wraith cooler| Coolermaster Gemini with Noctua 3000RPM Fan | Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x4GB Corsair 1600 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 OC in Sli | Gainward GTX 650 TI GS | ASUS 7970 Matrix
Storage 250GB Plextor SSD Por 5 /1TB WD Black | 500GB WD ES/WD Black | WD 320/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 750 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 7 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Is the motherboard grounded? like in a case?

System Name Custom Built
Storage Samsung EVO 750 120GB + Kingston HyperX Fury 120 GB + 2TB WD Hard disk | Kingston V300 120GB
Case A old one
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Netway
Keyboard Logitech
[...]
  • Replaced the battery with the next best one I could find, running at 2.98V - that changed nothing;
  • Installed another graphics card (one that I was told was 99% guaranteed OK) - no go; Same guy is going to lend one that is 100% in the following days;
  • No CPU in the socket = fans spin, no clicks or beeps from the speaker;
  • Some more RAM swaps, switches and substitutions were performed, the only times the dreaded beeps were gone were when a DIMM was not properly seated (apparently), but no good boot to speak of;
  • DIP switch got its fair share of further tickling, nothing new;
What I'm contemplating right now - finding out how to test the voltage on the CPU/RAM/AGP slots. I think it's the most empirical and accurate thing to do now.

Thanks for your support so far. Keeps me going! :)
So you don't get any beeps without RAM? or the pattern changes?
I think the CPU and therefore, its power circuits, is working, hence the beeps, I think it could be...

Broken trace in the middle layers of the PCB (not fixable), probably going into the AGP slot
Bad soldier somewhere in the motherboard (unless it's a thru-hole component or non-BGA, it's not fixable
Bad chipset (non fixable unless you can resolder or replace it)
Some bad transistor/MOSFET/capacitor (fixable).

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD-9370BE @4.6
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 +SB950
Cooling CM Nepton 280L
Memory G.Skill Sniper 16gb DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage C:\SSD (240GB), D:\Seagate (2TB), E:\Western Digital (1TB)
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
So you don't get any beeps without RAM? or the pattern changes?
I think the CPU and therefore, its power circuits, is working, hence the beeps, I think it could be...

Broken trace in the middle layers of the PCB (not fixable), probably going into the AGP slot
Bad soldier somewhere in the motherboard (unless it's a thru-hole component or non-BGA, it's not fixable
Bad chipset (non fixable unless you can resolder or replace it)
Some bad transistor/MOSFET/capacitor (fixable).
if it is bad solder joint, someone around TPU has baking experience. :D
(I forgot who.)

System Name Custom Built
Case A old one
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Netway
Keyboard Logitech
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu with AM4 bracket
Memory PNY Anarchy-X XLR8 Red DDR4 3200 MHz C15-17-17-17-35
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G