• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial On Elmor's Open Letter, or The State of the Industry

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
A post on Reddit is doing the rounds from user elmor, a well-renowned enthusiast overclocker who works for ASUS' ROG Motherboard R&D - specifically, in the development of overclocking and enthusiast features. In his post, he talks about the posture of some motherboard makers, as well as about the state of the market as is, with some interesting tidbits thrown in.

One of the most interesting tidbits to be gleaned from his post is that from his perspective, overclocking's biggest supporters are Intel and AMD, who "seriously love overclocking and have excellent people pushing it internally"? AMD I understand - two generations now they've graced us with unlocked-multiplier processors. Intel, on the other hand, has locked-in overclocking efforts with their K-series processors, and have recently told enthusiasts that they should stop overclocking their i7 7700K CPUs, so... I'm a bit on the fence with the blue giant on that specific regard, at least when it comes to mainstream overclocking. My locked i5 6400 is doing just great in the overclocking department, mind you - just not thanks to Intel. Interestingly, Elmor also sets NVIDIA "in the corner of shame" because of their "reluctance to help us push the limits of PC hardware and locking things down more and more."

Elmor also specifically calls out MSI - giving the example of their X370 Xpower motherboard - as being a showcase of product development mainly guided by something akin to "slapping LEDs on it and call it gaming." And this is something that can be further developed, so bear with me for a little while.

The number of advertised features on motherboards have been growing exponentially (pardon my mathematically inaccurate statement, but you get the point.) Manufacturers have been more and more tending towards a "checklist" development so as to offer all the same bangs and whistles that their competitors do, while trying to throw in a specific twist of their own. There is an overabundance of features which all beg to be tested, but at the same time, they're mainly the same ideas and features implemented in a slightly different way, worded with a huge amount of marketing sugar sprinkled on top.

It's a race towards the top, with each manufacturer vying for the consumer's attention, which naturally also ends up bringing a feeling of "been there, done that" in regards to motherboards and their features. If one simply counts the number of implementations of a simple M.2 thermal shield, or an on-board Realtek audio chip, or a manufacturer's specific LED implementation and control on a motherboard level... Between May 14th and April 1st, we here on TPU have covered north of 20 new motherboard releases, and I'm pretty sure a few have slipped through the cracks.

This brings about the topic of market - and feature - saturation and overlapping. A quick and dirty check shows there are at least 59 (!) different motherboards which pack Realtek's ALC 1220 audio solution. Each manufacturer, however, has a distinct marketing for their product, be it Audio Boost (MSI), Supreme FX (ASUS), Purity Sound(ASRock), AMP-UP Audio (Gigabyte), Audio Boost 4 (MSI) or some other marketing naming.

This cutthroat competition and rapid pace of product launches, releases and re-releases with added features also ends up impacting review cycles and timing, as you could expect. The fact is that the number of advertised features is just too great to extensively cover, and keeping up with, with the depth we would like. I'd say that TPU's reviews - courtesy of our own excellent cadaveca - tend to go deeper than the norm, but that's also part of the reason why there are relatively few of them.

Baseline quality of any given motherboard, from the most bare-bones model to the highest of the top-end, have improved substantially over the years. This makes attributing review scores - or better, achieving differentiation through review scores - harder. And sure, there is a level of diplomacy involved regarding review scores. Is it the right thing to do to give a 7 to a motherboard because some non-essential features are slightly buggy? Should we award the 7 and "kill" the product's image outright, or be diplomatic - some would say sensible - and attribute a score based on the the delivery and the potential of the product? We've all heard of some bug fixes doing wonders for any given product. And a hypothetical 8.5 with reservations regarding the required fixing of some bugs, or a 7 solely on the basis that the bugs exist, paint completely different pictures. Fairness is a hard descriptor to achieve, but it's what must be sought after.

Imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattering, and the entire market (not just the motherboard market, mind you), is built on it. Whether or not this is healthy is another matter entirely - companies who invest in new features do so knowing that their competitors will immediately look towards matching and surpassing their own implementation. They may have a head-start, but it won't ever be a significant one - and original design, feature and product development is much more expensive and time-consuming than imitation. Paving the road is the hardest part, not actually riding it.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
A nice read, thanks.

Elmor also sets NVIDIA "in the corner of shame" because of their "reluctance to help us push the limits of PC hardware and locking things down more and more."
I think this guy have a problem Since nVidia's chips get overclocked to double the chip designed speed while squeezing 200MHz from Radeon GPU is something big.
I think the guy is another fanboy

System Name Nero Mini
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 4.7GHz-4.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X570i Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S+3x Noctua IPPC 3K
Memory Team Dark 3800MHz CL16 2x16GB 55ns
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Storage Adata XPG Gammix S50 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Elmor also sets NVIDIA "in the corner of shame" because of their "reluctance to help us push the limits of PC hardware and locking things down more and more."
I think this guy have a problem Since nVidia's chips get overclocked to double the chip designed speed while squeezing 200MHz from Radeon GPU is something big.
I think the guy is another fanboy

Double the desinged speeds? Wtf are you talking about? Also do you even know who is he?

Nvidia cards are voltage and power limited making all their cards end up at 2ghz or so no matter what cooler or board. Its more of an allowed "built-in headroom" which they call overclocking and not real overclocking.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Double the desinged speeds? Wtf are you talking about? Also do you even know who is he?

Nvidia cards are voltage and power limited making all their cards end up at 2ghz or so no matter what cooler or board. Its more of an allowed "built-in headroom" which they call overclocking and not real overclocking.

LN2 and hard mods..... Proper, balls out overclocking. Sliding a voltage option and cranking boost clock isn't exactly a tech achievement.
Real enthusiasts can still overclock, the lockdowns simply stop morons like me breaking hardware then trying RMA's.

System Name Nero Mini
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Software Windows 10 Pro
LN2 and hard mods..... Proper, balls out overclocking. Sliding a voltage option and cranking boost clock isn't exactly a tech achievement.
Real enthusiasts can still overclock, the lockdowns simply stop morons like me breaking hardware then trying RMA's.

That's true hardcore enthusiasts still can solder on potentiometers and short the shunts and stuff but still it's not very user friendly to overclock is it. Most people don't dare to solder on things even if they know what they're doing with software overclocking.

Point is Intel/AMD lets you adjust voltage clocks and power in software that grants you the maximum performance easily while Nvidia doesn't.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
That's true hardcore enthusiasts still can solder on potentiometers and short the shunts and stuff but still it's not very user friendly to overclock is it. Most people don't dare to solder on things even if they know what they're doing with software overclocking.

Point is Intel/AMD lets you adjust voltage clocks and power in software that grants you the maximum performance easily while Nvidia doesn't.

I'm neither going to attack or defend but it seems to be as the process shrinks, the limitations inherent in voltage control increase. Protecting products from people ill equipped to 'tamper' isn't a bad thing.
Nvidia allow you to overclock. Some AIB's allow over volting, some allow higher power limits.

Too many part time, risk averse noobs want guaranteed warranty on tampered products. The real enthusiasts know they're risking losing hardware.

Elmor is a proper enthusiast but 99% + of end users are not. That's who Nvidia and Intel sell to. Not sure why he didn't have a stab at AMD. Ryzen may be unlocked but it's not OC friendly.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
As someone that used to be a tech writer/journalist for over a decade, the motherboard industry is boring these days. There's no innovation any more, only minor improvements or iterations. One of the best examples is Gigabyte's mini-ITX boards.

This is the port layout of the GA-Z77N-WIFI

And this is the GA-Z270N-WIFI

So over a period of around five years, the only feature change is the addition of a USB-C port. Ok, so the to HDMI ports swapped places with the DVI port (which lost analogue support) and the connectors for the Wi-Fi, but so what?

Sure, the actual boards have some changes, like an M.2 slot for an SSD, the Wi-Fi card is M.2 rather than mini PCIe and the overall board layout has improved, but in terms of the complete feature set, little has changed.

Admittedly this is not limited to Gigabyte, it's an industry wide thing. Compared to the "happy" 00's and the time before then, there's almost no innovation due to the industry having shifted focus, as making PC parts is simply not profitable any more.

On the other hand, I don't understand the Taiwanese board makers that offer 10 different models that only differ in terms of one or two features. It doesn't make economical or logistical sense to offer so many SKUs. I doubt most consumers would care if a motherboard is $10 extra because they get a set of six audio connectors instead of three and an HDMI port, rather than none. However, these are the type of differences there often are between SKUs.

I miss companies like Abit, AOpen, DFI, EPoX, Chaintech, Soyo and dare I say, even Jetway. At times, they all came up with things that no-one had done before. Abit was way ahead of its time in many ways, such as removing all legacy ports, which didn't quite work at the time. AOpen made boards with tube amplifiers for the audio, but sadly used crappy Realtek audio chips that made it quite pointless. DFI had the most advanced BIOS options ever seen, although maybe not always the most stable BIOS releases. EPoX tried a lot of new things, most of them never really took, but at least they tried. Chaintech was also willing to try new things, although that noise little 20mm fan I had at the rear I/O on a board was not a hit. Soyo made some rather good and stylish silver boards. Even Jetway has had a few unique products over the years.

Now it's all about who can put the most RGB bling on the boards, a feature I turn off fairly quickly, as it's not my thing. Yes, it's nice that it's an option, but it's something that's adding a lot of cost to the boards and motherboards have never been more expensive than now. Even basic "performance" chipset boards are easily starting at $150 these days, whereas not too long ago, they started at around $100. The "bundles" you get these days aren't worth to be called bundles, as you don't even get a full set of SATA cables. It would be nice to get the drivers on a USB drive rather than a CD for one, as I haven't had an optical drive in a system for at least a handful of years by now.

The industry is really struggling and in as much as Elmor is concerned about the overclocking potential, it's not the only thing that's suffering. My past couple of Intel based boards (both from Gigabyte) have been fairly unstable and it felt like they were never quite finished off from a UEFI perspective. My new Asus board (and Ryzen processor) has so far, been very stable, which is quite a surprise to me. At the same time, I feel like I was cheated, as it's missing a fair few overclocking features that Asus' ROG board has, but they decided to gimp on this board in favour of flashy LEDs. I know which I would've preferred. On the upside, we're getting vastly better chipset and power regulation these days, no more plastic push pins, which is at least something.

Overall it just feels like there isn't enough competition with three major players in the motherboards industry, as sadly ASRock isn't a full-on competitor, Biostar, well, they just seem to be available in some markets and ECS seems to be on the way out of the consumer space. With Asus, Gigabyte and MSI left, we're stuck in a situation where we have, as mentioned in the article, companies that are only doing just enough to stay on the same level as their competitors, but nothing much more. :(

System Name Nero Mini
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm neither going to attack or defend but it seems to be as the process shrinks, the limitations inherent in voltage control increase. Protecting products from people ill equipped to 'tamper' isn't a bad thing.
Nvidia allow you to overclock. Some AIB's allow over volting, some allow higher power limits.

Too many part time, risk averse noobs want guaranteed warranty on tampered products. The real enthusiasts know they're risking losing hardware.

Elmor is a proper enthusiast but 99% + of end users are not. That's who Nvidia and Intel sell to. Not sure why he didn't have a stab at AMD. Ryzen may be unlocked but it's not OC friendly.

I get it yes. Ok.

But still no Nvidia cards have any performance advantage from each other short of a slightly higher powerlimit and some lower temps. And no not a single one allow a higher voltage. All are stuck at 1.093v so they all overclock the same in the end. I would be happier if they have an unlocked bios that voids the warranty if you used it. I just hate how they're actively BLOCKING software based overclocking.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I get it yes. Ok.

But still no Nvidia cards have any performance advantage from each other short of a slightly higher powerlimit and some lower temps. And no not a single one allow a higher voltage. All are stuck at 1.093v so they all overclock the same in the end. I would be happier if they have an unlocked bios that voids the warranty if you used it. I just hate how they're actively BLOCKING software based overclocking.

I get you too.

Your point is reflected in my purchases. 780ti Classified, then another, 980ti Kingpin, 1080ti FE (lesson learned). No point buying an AIB bling version.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I get you too.

Your point is reflected in my purchases. 780ti Classified, then another, 980ti Kingpin, 1080ti FE (lesson learned). No point buying an AIB bling version.
No, but you are then paying for the OC-killing features that aren't really present. It does take some design effort to release such products, but the point has been made.

Really the problem, as elmor would seem to want to call it, isn't about the "bling", its that there are two very distinct types of PC enthusiasts; those that like to overclock, and those that like to play videogames and know nothing about OC. These two users have very different hardware needs, and most brands do not release specific products that cater to each's needs; rather they try to do both, because some misguided person told them that it was possible.

This is actually part of why I gave the ASRock X370 Taichi a perfect score; sure there are boards with more features for that platform, but are they needed? Or even wanted? A line had to be drawn in the sand as to what is too excessive, and merely "ticking feature boxes", rather than effectively removing features that aren't needed by a user, and replacing them with different features for this other type of user... yet as mentioned, because of how things are "locked down" at this point, I do understand that making these differences obvious isn't that easy. So my job of a reviewer isn't easier... it is definitely harder... how can I say a product with tonnes of OC-centric features is built for a normal user, when it is plain it isn't? And why do OC-centric products have all these gaming-focused features?

Last edited:
I get it yes. Ok.

If you want to make comparison the nVidia cards are like German cars fine tuned to perfection that tempering with them is useless unless you do some extreme work while the AMD cards are like American Muscle Car rough, big engine and with alot to fix and improve but can't go as fast as the German cars because the engine will overheat in no time

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I get it yes. Ok.

If you need more, hard mod it. Its been trivially easy for generation after generation on nvidia cards. Overclocks are warranty voiding, welcome to the real world.

If you're gonna play the "im honest i swear" card, then a hardmod that is super well documented should be no issue.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
A post on Reddit is doing the rounds from user eelmor

Not for nothing, but the guy isn't going to call out anyone who's putting butter on his bread so to speak. I get it that there are less and less investors in overclocking, and there are still some who come in with skillz. Long gone are the days when the average gamer can slap a over sized cooler on his GPU and hang out with world class over clockers. Maybe they need to listen to the average JOE so to speak, cause when people stop spending suddenly everyone wants to hear what we have to say then..................Its all a matter of perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
@TheLostSwede Jetway is still in the market but you need to look at industrial segment. Their boards are still interesting albeit higher in price.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Not for nothing, but the guy isn't going to call out anyone who's putting butter on his bread so to speak. I get it that there are less and less investors in overclocking, and there are still some who come in with skillz. Long gone are the days when the average gamer can slap a over sized cooler on his GPU and hang out with world class over clockers. Maybe they need to listen to the average JOE so to speak, cause when people stop spending suddenly everyone wants to hear what we have to say then..................Its all a matter of perspective.

im confused as to the direction of your post, is it pro-market status quo or against? 'average joe' is extremely happy with the current selection, there's still more options than they could possibly need.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
If you want to make comparison the nVidia cards are like German cars fine tuned to perfection that tempering with them is useless unless you do some extreme work while the AMD cards are like American Muscle Car rough, big engine and with alot to fix and improve but can't go as fast as the German cars because the engine will overheat in no time
Very well put, and exactly how I feel. All the hardware now is already clocked near it's limit from the factory, including Intel, nVidia, and AMD. Overclocking is now just another bogus marketing term (which Intel basically admitted with their recent "don't overclock" fiasco). Spend hundreds on water cooling and get 2-300 MHz and possible instability? Not even worth it. I'm not mad, just buying the Tesla now instead of the Chevrolet...

System Name Nero Mini
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Software Windows 10 Pro
For everyone saying "Nvidia's chips are already at its limits boo hoo hurr duurr" no it isn't. An unlocked Asus XOC 1080 BIOS would net you 2.3GHz or so compared to the measly 2GHz on the stock BIOS. My point isn't comparing Nvidia or AMD is better than the other but that AMD allows overclocking freely by default while Nvidia ACTIVELY BLOCKS IT by default.

And for people that don't OC sure it's no big deal and sure OC isn't exactly the most efficient way but it's a hobby and it's a passion for a lot of people to push their hardware to the limit and extract as much performance as possible. These kinds of people (read: me included) don't mind losing warranties and the "just solder and hardmod" argument doesn't work since we don't all know how to solder or even want to hardmod our hardware just to do something that should've been possible through software.

I'm sure there are a lot of enthusiasts out there like me that are more than a little pissed since this rule put by Nvidia also stops over the top overclocking cards (Classified, Kingpin, Lightning, Matrix...etc.) from popping up since Nvidia doesn't allow it anymore and also because the companies aren't allowed to modify boost voltage or power beyond what Nvidia allows making such designs useless. Which is sad because Nvidia makes the best architecture and has the top performing chips right now.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Well if you, Elmor and the like don't want to flash a BIOS, I say stick to your principles and only go with companies that actively support overclocking.

Ironically you might not win any benchmarks, but at least you have stuck to your guns.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz

Nvidia have made even LN2 overclocking way more difficult than it should be. You can't competely remove the power limit using hard mods because if the current sensor sees are reading that is too low the card gets locked to 139MHz core clock. This means that doing E-power mods is a nightmare. BIOS modding is impossible and Nvidia is extremely slow to approve XOC BIOSs made by GPU makers like Galax, ASUS, EVGA and MSI.

Ryzen not being OC friendly is because of GF's silicon and it being the first iteration of a new arch. Nvidia cards are like an OC prison even if you work at ASUS ROG because Nvidia needs to approve every little software modification you do.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
This seems oddly similar to what i wrote at ocf... its not, of course, but i just talked about this, lol! How many boards are in the market and the blurred lines between them all.

You cant blame Intel for locking out OC's. People all over the world are blowing up CPU's and returning them upon warranty.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Nvidia have made even LN2 overclocking way more difficult than it should be. You can't competely remove the power limit using hard mods because if the current sensor sees are reading that is too low the card gets locked to 139MHz core clock. This means that doing E-power mods is a nightmare. BIOS modding is impossible and Nvidia is extremely slow to approve XOC BIOSs made by GPU makers like Galax, ASUS, EVGA and MSI.

Kind of Asus seems to have XOC BIOS's very very quickly. It is however frustrating that it is even a thing, they basically released a set of all identical cards regardless of PCB, design etc. Only reason I went with my Asus card, was the XOC bios already being out. No power limit and 1.24v, just waiting on the waterblocks to come in stock now.

It is interesting you include MSI in there, wouldn't they have to make a card for XOC for it to matter :roll:

The industry has gone a curious way. They all seem the same to me, with a different color. I want some innovation...please.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Motherboards have stagnated simply because of integration. Today you can buy a board with no additional controllers other than the chipset and have all the ports you could possibly need. With the chipset having the same base set of features and performance, there's little for motherboard manufacturers to use to differentiate themselves other than aesthetics like LEDs. It used to be that the on-board controllers would make all the difference, but that is no more.