1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Onboard Sound Spdif

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by OrbitzXT, Dec 23, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers and I originally paired them with a bgears sound card with the CMI8788 chipset and used an optical cable. The sound card died on me and I'm in the process of RMAing it, but because of the holiday season will be stuck without it until January. I seem to have misplaced the regular connector wires for my speakers to...analog I guess its called? All I have is my optical cable, but my motherboard has a SPDIF plug on it which I never noticed before. I installed the motherboard's sound card drivers and plugged it into my mobo, a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3, the sound quality is noticably worse which I expected...but I can only get sound to play in the front two speakers. I toyed around with it but can't get it to work any other way. Does anyone have any ideas? If it matters I'm using XP x86.

2. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Your driver should give you some options for output. Either opent the Volume Control via the Taskbar and go to Advanced options, then look for speaker settings (ie. Headphones, stereo speakers, 5.1 speakers etc.) Or if your more comfortable with the Control Panel you can enter the Sound options there. There may even be a specific control for the audio drivers in the Control panel, as well.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  3. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    the pinout here should be standard on all mobos, dunno if helps,
    [​IMG]

4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried changing the number of speakers in Control Panel and RealTek's manager as well. As for the thing you posted Spud, is that the same with Gigabyte's 965P-DS3? I don't even think I have two jumpers laying around to do what it suggests =/

5. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Have you verified that you have "Pro Logic" enabled on the Control center of the z5500? Is it set to accept Optical input? Do you have Optical input selected on you remote too?

I don't own the speakers, but a quick look at the manual seem to point to a number of setting to be in place for streaming from Optical input.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  6. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now on the Z5500 Control's it says Input: Optical, Effect :Stereo. Usually when I have my good sound card it says Input: Optical, Effect: Dolby or DTS...depending which I pick.

7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    It works now! I had to hit the Effect button on the remote...once it was on "Stereo x2" the back speakers worked. The center one still doesn't but this is an improvement at least.

8. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    On your mobo, is it set for SPDIF?

OT, where abouts in NYC are you?