• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

One more question, regarding optimal TIM application.

System Name Suteki Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900 @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
Cooling Stock Box Cooler
Memory 32gb ( 2x16gb) 3600mhz DDR4 G.Skill 16-19-19-39-58
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Ram
Storage 256gb nvme SSD, 250GB SATA3 SSD, 480GB USB3 SSD, 750GB SSHD, 3TB WD Red HDD
Display(s) Asus VE220 / Epson TW-3000 1080p projector
Case Raijintek Thetis Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 PCI on a PCIe-to-PCI Adapter
Power Supply EVGA 550G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey guys...

I have yet another little question about TIM application. As I'm striving to reach best possible contact between cooling surfaces on all my electronical devices (lapping=done :nutkick: ) I've been all over it with TIM, from the Liquid Metal Pads (let's not use those anymore), to AS5, MX-2, IC Diamond 7 and lately, the best until now, MX-3.

Those last few TIMs I mentioned all have one thing in common: They advice to put a tiny dab (in case of multicore and AS5 a line) right onto the HS and let the Heatsink spread it... Doing some testing by myself in these last years, I've found that not only does that save a whole lot of time, but it is easier to do and more efficient than a manual full-spread and usually even will cover the whole HS over time...

And this is where my question starts. So I've observed the TIM thinning out with Thermal cycles and stuff going on, is it adviced to refasten the Heatsink every once in a while in the first few weeks of a mount?
The reason I'm asking is mostly because of my PS3. I've applied MX-3 to it (it's a good ol' 90nm 60GB) because I've noticed quite an improvement over MX-2 when I did the swap in my laptop (seriously, I thought it was dead for a moment there, for more info check the Cat 9.9 Thread... Guess it was "just" a bad-solderpoint; heatgun and added pressure FTW!)... It really blew my mind how much better it worked right off the bat then the AS5 I had applied on the PS3 (which had already spread full surface and cured perfectly fine, having been in that thang for over 1 year), but I've noticed that the screws, even though thightened very firmly on first install get a very tiny bit (like 1/20 of a turn) looser... Does this impact on pressure and thus cooling efficiency or is it basically not worth thinking about?

If it is of any importance, on the ps3 you have these brackets:
that hold down the Heatsink, they're basically being pressed down by the screws which in turn are screwed into the HS. This basically "pulls" the HS right onto the Chips.

Thanks in advance for your time and help people :)

Last edited:
System Name Mercury
Processor AMD 2700X (Waiting for 4000 series)
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 960 256GB + Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 42' 4K HDR TV
Case Enthoo Evolv ITX
Audio Device(s) Stock
Power Supply Corsair SF 600
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer Huntsman
Software Win 10 64bits
Well depends on the mounting sistems, there are some that have little springs on the screws and that apply tension and thus preventing them to move, it could cause trouble only IF they unscrew as munch as loosening the heatsink and creating such a gap that allows air, but if its that small and the heatsink is still in the same place theres no problem and no noticeable diference.

Remember or well in my experience, that thermal pastes (not liquid but dense pastes) like mx-2-3 or artic silver 5 when the heatsink applies pressure it creates a little suction betwen the two parts, that why when we remove them it doesnt come right away and you have to use minimal force, and that allows that even if it loosses a tiny bit it will still transfer the same amount of heat.

On a third tought by my experience the only time that I have had the temps go up was only when my AC5 dried up on an athlon 64 that had over 2 years witouth moving the heatsink or changing the paste.

Edit: Remember that with each thermal cicle the thermal pastes thinnes so it can reach it perfect spread coverage, with the pressure applied. it's normal, the all reach a moment that they wont get thinner and that moment if you apply the right amount of tim you will see the whole proc covered and if you apply less you will see that its not covered completely even if you apply more force or go throught more cycles

Last edited: