• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online anonymity disappearing

Should TPU force its members to use their real names?

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, it looks like the days of posting anonymously, or psuedononymously on a forum, as we do on TPU are numbered, if this article on New Scientist and the posting example set by www.techcrunch.com is anything to go by - go on, click on a story and try to post anonymously...

Illegal and just plain bad behaviour online has sparked discussions of new laws to combat cyberbullying and secure the internet from criminal activity. Such legislation may soon be irrelevant. Several companies are building tools that can identify internet users with unprecedented precision. Proponents claims the new tools will lead to a safer and less hostile internet. If the internet is to keep developing, they say, perhaps we can no longer afford to live in an anonymous environment where no one need ever be held accountable for their actions. Are we ready to abandon the option of shielding our online identity?

"The internet would be better if we had an accurate notion that you were a real person as opposed to a dog, or a fake person, or a spammer," Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, told an audience in the UK at the Edinburgh Television Festival in August.

Now, the following is just f* scary. :eek:

There too, however, identity technologies are waiting to catalogue their misdeeds. Whether or not you share your identity with the websites you visit is no longer entirely within your control.
Indelible ID

One of the most powerful identity tracking systems now available is offered by BlueCava, a company based in Irvine, California, that helps websites monitor fraud, among other things. BlueCava's software "fingerprints" any device that someone uses to visit a website, be it a desktop or laptop computer or a mobile device like a smartphone. That fingerprint is made possible by the hundreds of types of data that browsers send when connecting to a website, from the machine's operating system to the time zone in which the device is set to operate (see diagram).

You might be surprised at just how mundane these details can be. Consider one of the data types passed from browser to website: the fonts installed on your machine. They will include not just the fonts that it came with, but also fonts that may have been included with software you installed, making the complete list distinctive. "A typical machine has 4000 to 20,000 fonts," says BlueCava chief executive David Norris. Fall outside this average and your machine is distinctive. "If you have 1926 that's a lot of uniqueness," Norris says.

See more: view the data your browser is passing to websites using an online test from privacy.net.

BlueCava combines these bits of information to create a unique ID number for every device that accesses a website running the company's software. The firm has assembled a dossier on 1 billion devices, and Norris estimates that the number will double in the coming year. At this rate, it won't be long, he says, before all 10 billion internet-enabled computers in the world have a place in BlueCava's repository. Norris claims that when presented with a query from a machine already in the database, the software can recognise its source 99.5 per cent of the time.

Best to be as Mr Average as possible, then...

And this is a really important point, one which people are so used to doing, they don't even think about it:

What's more, online social networks collapse our social lives to a single space, completely unlike normal life where we generally interact with different groups at different times and in different ways. A person might share a radical political view with a friend but shy away from expressing the same opinion at work, for example. It is normal for us to take on what sociologists call different "social roles", yet this behaviour is inhibited by the openness of Facebook, and less directly by the less transparent technologies that bind our online activities into a single identity.

Oddly, nowhere in this article does it discuss the likelyhood that identity theft will become rampant. Tinfoil hats go on

New Scientist

So, should TPU adopt Big Brother-style user identifying software like this? Vote in the poll - yes, it's a public poll, we want to know who you are. ;)

And my vote? A big, fat, NO.

Last edited:
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
Troubling very troubling, seems like privacy and rights are becoming a thing of the past now doesn't it?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I voted "no" because there were a lot of words added after it, but not too much that my brain won't be able to comprehend it anymore. That's why I didn't vote "My brain is too small to comprehend such deep questions" because my brain is too small to comprehend too many words typed in one option. But I just typed too many words in one statement just now, so even I don't really comprehend why I can't comprehend too many words but still type too many words in a single statement.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Keep It Simple, Stupid. If we don't like a particular member of TPU due to bullying flaming etc, banhammer will strike from the sky. No need for such tactics which will cause people to leave.

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
Until personally identifiable information is collected, there's nothing sinister.
If such a thing were to occur, then at least under Australian law, the offending party would be liable for prosecution (explicit permission *must* be given prior to any such information gathering).

Also, privacy.net is far from a great place to see info in great detail - in keeping with the above example it gets my State wrong and is unable to locate *any* fonts.

That said, I voted no, obviously ;)

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
This just looks like another way to shove advertisements into our faces, to me.

This:
Several companies are building tools that can identify internet users with unprecedented precision.
& this:
Proponents claims the new tools will lead to a safer and less hostile internet.
Don't go together.
Simply because these tools always manage to be used for all the wrong reasons, once they get to the wrong hands.
If the internet is to keep developing, they say, perhaps we can no longer afford to live in an anonymous environment where no one need ever be held accountable for their actions.
Ah, but people are already accountable for what they do on the internet if it is serious enough, so this an invalid argument.
Are we ready to abandon the option of shielding our online identity?
Those that already have facebook, yes. The rest? Nope.avi

Also, don't forget Skynet.

*Puts on til-foil hat and starts changing MAC addresses*

EDIT (forgot about the poll and the thread's original title): No. I like my identity here as it is and my real one is not factor. I will identify myself if needed, but until then, I want to keep being known as _JP_.

T

twilyth

Yawn.

Here's what it got from my browser

Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Cookie: bhCookieSaveSess=1; bhCookieSess=1
Host: analyze.privacy.net
Referer: http://analyze.privacy.net/
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
DNT: 1

And because I use a VPN, the ip address comes back to a location in Texas. I'm not in Texas.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
To be honest i could really care less, alot of sites have FB connect so im showing my real name to any of those sites. I personally have nothing to hide and would use my real name if required.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Most of the guys who were on TS know, that we generally know everyone's names already.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Not that I have anything to hide... but still F no. Moderators/member need to do their jobs is all...and here, they generally do a fine job...especially considering all the members that report posts.

Most of the guys who were on TS know, that we generally know everyone's names already.
And how many people come on TS vs the active member base? :slap:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
I use the first 3 letters of my name lol

No, it should remain a personal choice. People who break the rules will be banned.

I dont see the point as people can forge a name or lie about their location.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Actually, I don't care if you guys know who I am or where I live.
I would be thrilled to have you stop by, talk tech and drink beer until we fall over. :rockout:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
I would be thrilled to have you stop by, talk tech and drink beer until we fall over. :rockout:

Until someone you pissed off shows up at your front door with a gun.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Until someone you pissed off shows up at your front door with a gun.

LOL, just one?
Notice to anyone coming over : Bring guns. We can cut down trees with large bore weapons (like we did last weekend when we had the monthly Jeep club meeting here), and bring a change of clothes, the ATV trails are a bit muddy.

T

twilyth

LOL, just one?
Notice to anyone coming over : Bring guns. We can cut down trees with large bore weapons (like we did last weekend when we had the monthly Jeep club meeting here), and bring a change of clothes, the ATV trails are a bit muddy.
What. No autonomous portal guns? I'm guessing that's in the budget for next year though. :D

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
I voted yes because it would make it a lot easier to find you doofuses and beat the snot out of you if you trash me here at TPU.
Feel free to come anytime, I'll prepare something for lunch.
Hold the drinking, add shooting something. :D

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
You expect a fair poll on such an issue, and yet don't make it a truly anonymous one?

The irony.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
LOL ... nice catch Bta.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
"A typical machine has 4000 to 20,000 fonts," says BlueCava chief executive David Norris. Fall outside this average and your machine is distinctive. "If you have 1926 that's a lot of uniqueness," Norris says.

these font things don't seem to work as well as they should

If i run that pivacy.net site on google chrome i get a grand total of 0 fonts recognised, this goes up to around 100 in internet explorer though:laugh:

does this make me unique?

Last edited:
System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
I voted 'No' because this site is not immune from the small minority of immature and/or disturbed users who would act in various malicious ways against you, for no tangible reason. That is, the ones that DON'T know who you are already.

For me personally, there would be some people, who, if they came to this forum and read my posts, saw my avatar picture, and location description, might recognize me, but I don't particularly care about them recognizing me. They're the 'known unknowns', it's the 'unknown unknowns' that are the problem. Heh.

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There are people who behave poorly because of the anonimity that the internet allows.
They would NEVER act that way if they were face-to-face with someone and might have to own up to their actions.
I am WYSIWYG in both real life and online, for better or worse, but to hide behind the anonimity of the 'net and cause misery is being an epic coward in my book.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Yawn.

Here's what it got from my browser

And because I use a VPN, the ip address comes back to a location in Texas. I'm not in Texas.

Although they did get my country right when I checked privacy.net, it's not necessarily solely my IP address.

I still remember getting banned in a local server for Diablo II years ago for violations my IP address made, during a time period that I wasn't playing. LOL So the person that should have been banned would have been able to play then since that meant the ISP "rotated" the IP addresses around already.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You expect a fair poll on such an issue, and yet don't make it a truly anonymous one?

http://img.techpowerup.org/111120/bta9073.jpg

The irony.

Yes, it was intended to be ironic. I was originally going to do it anonymously, but then reckoned that the ironic humour was worth going for.

Making people really give out their real identity online is a terrible idea on so many levels and that's what my post is about. As expected and hoped for, the No vote is winning by a country mile. :) In hindsight, I think I should have voted the my brain is too small option, to make things even funnier, while clarifying my real position as a No vote.

btw, I like the chocolate pieces avatar. :toast: