• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Online networking learning opportunities?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I would also like to note that I believe certifications are important in todays field and I really think you should get them.

Certifications will never harm you but won't always help you.

IT is not a money filled industry, IT nets you big income at certain levels, and in those levels your peers live and breath it.

That sums up most industries. You don't start rolling the dough until you've paid your dues.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I really enjoyed this thread and the insight that @Kursah and @Solaris17 has given. :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

I too am in the pursuit to learn networking. Not really as a job placement but more for my own knowledge and use.

The insight you guys have given is great advice and can still be used even if a person isn't looking for a career path in networking.

I've, in the past, been in courses through Alison and many do include certificates. Not that they are much good but as mentioned, show that a person is willing to learn and is self motivated which is a big + when applying for a career position.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
No kidding. I am still reading through it for the fourth time trying to absorb it.

@stinger608 what's your work/professional background? How much of a head start do you have at networking? I can set up port forwarding, and have set up a wireless ethernet bridge, but that's about it. The subnet /30 stuff is completely incompressible!

I want to learn networking as path to my end goal...but through the wisdom of contributions to this thread, it seems like I may like it well enough to do the radio technician job on the side, as a contractor.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I've worked in two big computer companies locally and have owned a computer repair and sales business. Haven't really done much in the way of networking other than diagnosing issues in homes and on systems.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The subnet /30 stuff is completely incompressible!

Subnetting isn't that bad. So take you /30 example. 32 - 30 leaves 2 bits for addresses. 2^2 = 4 total ips. One for broadcast and one for gateway leaves you 2 addressable ips.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Subnet calculators are also easy to come by, but learning the method manually is worth it as it helps you grasp subnets, CIDR, supernets, etc. more easily or it did for me.

Learning it the Cisco way for CCNA is much more painful that the method moproblems examples above. Learn the way that is effective for you!

I was in a similar spot as many others here, good with building and overclocking PC's, I could diag/fix them. But when it came to networking, I knew very little and could barely port forward. Now I'm in a completely different arena lol. College definitely helped that, but I went in knowing that networking was my weakness and to get ahead in IT, I had to know and understand networking along with server environments. Again, could've learned all of that outside of college too. Either way, the education has definitely proven its value in my career path change. :)

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Rise from the ashes, thread of knowledge!

Well, I got the job. I am a system installer for a Motorola shop. They are more interested in mechanical abilities in my present position, but they have a spreadsheet with advancement paths for all non-management positions. I plan on taking advantage of paid instructional time and paid test sessions. The techs I work with "test" me and teach me. My latest job is installing an upgraded 911 system in my city's comm office. I was tasked with making "B" cables from scratch.
12ft568Bx5.jpg

All of the boxes in the background are empty or gonna be empty 'cuz I installed it!

My first cert Im going for is ETA CETa. I know most of the material, but I am still learning some cool stuff.

Ok, 50 internet points if you can tell me the application of this cable....there is a clue in the file name
vesta.jpg

Thanks again to all that participated in this thread!

@milewski1015 how did your studies and job hunt go?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I used to install and maintain Motorola mobile radios in police cars, fire engines, and rescue/ambulance vehicles. I also used to install and maintain Motorola base stations used to talk to those vehicles, and the portable (walkie/talkie) radios those first responders carried around. I was fortunate to have been sent to several Motorola schools to learn how to and become certified to install, operate, maintain and repair those devices.

I mention this because the training I received from Motorola, teaching us theory and how to troubleshoot and repair down to component level, was some of the best training in electronics systems repair I have ever received - and I've had a lot over the decades.

If the training you are receiving is from Motorola, and if it is as thorough and as extensive as I got back in the day, you are indeed fortunate too and poised to get some excellent training. So pay attention and soak it up! And remember, the stupid question is the one NOT asked!

Oh, and most tech companies don't teach management. They may teach how to "process the paperwork" in a specific way for their company. But managing people, and their unique personalities, is something different entirely - and typically requires some sort of management degree from an accredited college/university. The one thing that is great about such degrees is they never expire. You can list those degrees up top on your resume/CV until you retire for good. Certificates, on the other hand, become obsolete as the applicable hardware (or software) becomes obsolete. For example, back in the 1980s I earned several certs on managing and maintaining "Novell NetWare" networks and servers. Most IT people (or their managers) today never heard of Novell NetWare. :(

Anyway, good luck.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I absolutely have checked the CCs here. I am actually enrolled for Cisco CCNA, but its two fucking years for four classes. One class per semester, one now, one in spring, one next fall, one next spring (2022!!).

It doesn't. At this point, I don't want an engineering job, just a tech job. The engineers worry about the RF design, and I would put it together and connect it to the internet. I have years of experience dealing with plans I did not create, but have to implement.
I was going to say, cisco is the route you want to be taken seriously in networking. If you can get to CCNP it will land you a job without anything else honestly. CCNA is weaker but can probably start you off somewhere in the lower tiers.

source: CCNA is my sole certification! I used it a bit and almost went for CCNP before getting more into the security side of things. CCNP is a pretty tough mountain anyways.

EDIT: just realized threads age. Going to play catchup lol.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
before getting more into the security side of things.
Always wise to be as current as possible in security - not just for job security :twitch:, but advancement opportunities too. :)

I was fortunate to be involved in secure communications years before I got into computers - and I got into computers in 1975-76!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I was going to say, cisco is the route you want to be taken seriously in networking. If you can get to CCNP it will land you a job without anything else honestly. CCNA is weaker but can probably start you off somewhere in the lower tiers.

source: CCNA is my sole certification! I used it a bit and almost went for CCNP before getting more into the security side of things. CCNP is a pretty tough mountain anyways.

EDIT: just realized threads age. Going to play catchup lol.

September 2020 is both very recent and a lifetime ago, somehow.

Anyway, is this still true? I've come across some (younger) network techs lately and they didn't even know what CCNA was, and was not familiar at all with Cisco equipment.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Cisco is not the powerhouse leader they used to be, but they are still relevant. I think one of their problems is (or at least was) their sales and marketing tactics could be a bit too aggressive, if not underhanded.

We once requested proposals and bids for new routers for a major military installation and decided to go with HP since, at the time, their products more closely met our current and projected needs, did so more cheaply (always important when spending taxpayer's moneys) and they could deliver much more quickly - with on-site engineers who would help with the installations and most importantly, training. On-site support and training was something Cisco wanted more $$$ for.

Cisco sent a bunch of salesmen and shysters... err... lawyers to the commanding general (the 4-star!) back at command headquarters and claimed we didn't know what we were doing, HP didn't know what they were doing, and we were about to waste taxpayer's money! They then proceeded to falsely claim how their products were so much better. Cisco products were good - no doubt. But they could not do the job better.

This resulted in a hold on the purchase and we had to go back and totally re-justify our decision. Several weeks of delays ensued - which ultimately impacted mission readiness for several major systems that were waiting for this major network to go live. :( Not good.

I don't know if that was typical behavior for Cisco, but it sure left a bad taste in our mouths. And when other sites came to us to see how we "did it", we did not hesitate warn those sites of those tactics.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
September 2020 is both very recent and a lifetime ago, somehow.

Anyway, is this still true? I've come across some (younger) network techs lately and they didn't even know what CCNA was, and was not familiar at all with Cisco equipment.
It might be dated. I have not job searched since like 2021.

Cisco is not the powerhouse leader they used to be, but they are still relevant. I think one of their problems is (or at least was) their sales and marketing tactics could be a bit too aggressive, if not underhanded.

We once requested proposals and bids for new routers for a major military installation and decided to go with HP since, at the time, their products more closely met our current and projected needs, did so more cheaply (always important when spending taxpayer's moneys) and they could deliver much more quickly - with on-site engineers who would help with the installations and most importantly, training. On-site support and training was something Cisco wanted more $$$ for.

Cisco sent a bunch of salesmen and shysters... err... lawyers to the commanding general (the 4-star!) back at command headquarters and claimed we didn't know what we were doing, HP didn't know what they were doing, and we were about to waste taxpayer's money! They then proceeded to falsely claim how their products were so much better. Cisco products were good - no doubt. But they could not do the job better.

This resulted in a hold on the purchase and we had to go back and totally re-justify our decision. Several weeks of delays ensued - which ultimately impacted mission readiness for several major systems that were waiting for this major network to go live. :( Not good.

I don't know if that was typical behavior for Cisco, but it sure left a bad taste in our mouths. And when other sites came to us to see how we "did it", we did not hesitate warn those sites of those tactics.
From my CCNA training I remember the tests were very "our way or the highway." Some things ring true here, sadly.

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Not to derail your Cisco talk, but I have not seen a piece of Cisco gear at any customer site. It has been Aruba, Juniper, HP, and a bunch of others.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Not to derail your Cisco talk, but I have not seen a piece of Cisco gear at any customer site. It has been Aruba, Juniper, HP, and a bunch of others.
Fair. I just know what was what when I was shopping my resume around the Pacific Northwest. Obviously it differs between regions and even businesses.

f-14

cisco is the now days premium stuff, used to be the more successful but not perfect, nobody wanted to pay for that more expensive stuff like redbox so alot has gone down hill. companies are always getting hacked because security is bottom of the barrel, it's an expense like garbage removal, it doesn't generate profit to little to no funds are spent on it unless the government contracts require specific levels, hence why you see all that other trash in the market that is bottom of the barrel 'so called security' apples is the worst ancient obsolete hardware that was abandoned because it had no security, but hey, nobody wants the patents on it any more so apple swoops in and buys it all off because royalty free! every penny counts.

back to topic, understanding security is not important to most companies there isn't alot of money in it unless you're military or higher government level, and because security is the most important part of information systems but not the main reason as it's all data transfer, you're not going to make as much money at it than your rocket science work, you'd make more money being an independent mobile welder for the local long haul transport companies or in working for the gas/oil industry.
network installation is where almost every one starts out busting their chops in for experience, you'll make okay money there, but nothing like your welding job. for an IT job you should work for a CNC machine shop that will best suit your resume and you'll be able to communicate with every one with out issues.
education wise.... the better community college to start and brown college will do if you apply yourself to the top of your class, but other wise devry is where alot of it is at.
online just isn't possible as you have to build servers and networks and nodes and show proof and display it for the profs to 'hack' back in the 90's it was nothing to spend 10grand on hardware just to proof concept and get your pass/fail. started out with A+ C, C+, C++, unix and into mcsc and then jumped into novell and cisco systems and certs. and every 10 years you'll have to take refreshers on all the new stuff with this decades thing being IoT, which i am sure you are becoming fond of installing with your job now.

the rail roads have great security benefits and pension and pay CP and BNSF are always hiring welders. down side is seniority has the best hours

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
@f-14

In my first post, I forgot to mention I am utterly burned out from welding, no pun intended or implied. And, I never wanted to be a welder. The US Navy made me do it. They put a gun to my head and said "weld." I'm done with it, and have zero regrets retiring from welding. Life is truly better. Up until you mentioned it, I havent even thought about the company I quit to work where I do now. And, the job I'm on now is literally 1 mile from from old employer. Go figure, it was a machine and press shop.

Also, Norfolk Southern is HQ'd here. Screw them.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
@milewski1015 how did your studies and job hunt go?
Wow, talk about time passed lol. This thread feels like ages ago.

CompTIA A+ and a (crammed for) Net+ under my belt. Been with an MSP for almost 2.5 years and the on-the-job experience/exposure in areas I'm weak in is invaluable.