• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OOBE comes up every time you start windows

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
Just wondering if anyone else has run into this before. Every time I start this system the OOBE (out of box experience) comes up saying "hi would you like to turn on automatic updates?" "how about creating some user names" etc. It's very weird.

some background:

The computer was complaining of corrupt files and would not start so I ran memtest86 for 4 hours with no errors, used SeaTools to check the hard drive (it passed except for file system test, which always fails whenever I run it on any hard drive anyway, and besides if I format that should fix it anyway right?), and no errors were found.

So I reinstall XP, then install a bunch of drivers, restart, and get the OOBE again. Once I run through its song and dance again (although it never asks me to activate a second time) I notice that all the drivers are working except the display driver.

I tried reinstalling multiple times, now I'm going to try my XP Pro disk (this is XP Home).

Also once I got it up and running it seems to be generally stable besides having to look at ugly 640x480 no video drivers display, I even downloaded and ran OCCT which passed no problem.

I'm thinking it still might be a bad hard drive even though all the physical tests passed, maybe I should download the utility from samsung that lets you do a low-level format.

Any ideas?