• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OPAMP experts needed...

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I just picked up one of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156012

One of the reviewers mentioned replacing the ft R/L OPAMPS with OPA627's made a big improvement. (The original ones are NJM4556A's)

I use M-audio monitors some times and other times a set of Logitech X2300's (2.1 and no external amps/receivers). Is there anything to be gained by replacing the OPAMPs?

Thanks

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OPA627 are my fav's but many "experts" prefer OPA637.

I'll say this, and ony this on this subject, as I've run into too many "armchair experts" that have jobs doing this stuff...noone working a job doing this stuff will have the same passion as an enthusiast...and the worker bee will be filled with bias.

So, opamps greatly affect the frequency response in specific ranges. One OPAMP may suit both your ear, and your equipment, better than another. In multi-channel set-ups, overall frequency response of each channel, from inaudible to audible, will affect tone as the soundwaves interact, so without knowing the exact listening environment, equipment, and a bunch of complex math, can you choose the proper devices.

Any OPAMP you buy will change the sound, and most definately, the more you spend, the better quality you will get. But of course, there are many "posers" within the price ranges as well.

But, buying OPAMPS will cost more than that card did. $35-$40 easy for anything decent(OPA627AU), and upwards of $100+++++ for high-end stuff.

Here's an easy place to see costs(although slightly inflated). Note the complete difference in package design in the expensive models:

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp.php

I suggest you not venture into replacing OPAMPS unless you have cash to burn.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Thanks cadaveca for the good post. While looking at ur link to Auzen I found this description of OPAMP's
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp_intro.php

I found a pair of the OPA627s on ebay for $25, since I only need a pair I may try them out to see if my ears/speakers notice the dif

cadaveca

My name is Dave
THat's a migthy good deal on those opamps. Hopefully they are the proper packaging, and you can just drop them right into the provided sockets.

the ones from Auzen come on a pcb..seemingly for a reason..whether this is due to auzen's design or not, I do not know, as I do not have any of thier cards.

I can simplify it even more then Auzen does...OPAMP takes the decoded low-power analogue signal, and amplifies it to the needed voltage. They are not just used for audio...although that's the most common application that end-users are exposed to.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
for $25 its worth a chance, at $200+ on a $50 sound card not so much. I was hoping to even get this card but they are all out and I need a card today
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-studio.php
(I think thats the perfect card for me)

LOL, simple is good, Thanks.:toast:

I have been using Asus Xonar cards for quite a while (and frickin love the interface as well as the sound) But I really just wanted to try something different this time. And for my speakers/setup a $200 + sound card was just silly.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, I hear ya on that one. Hence my comments in the first post...no need to try to attain perfection when something else might hold it back.

Anyway, to explain a bit more, just because i have some time on my hands whiel little ones are napping, and older ones are in school...

Because an OPAMP is just that, an amp, how accurately the signal is amplified is what truly makes the difference in audio quality. OPA627/OPA637 are amp designs, and like other electrical bits, are binned for thier overall quality. OPA627AU is basically the cheapest OPA627, and the OPA627SM the highest(that I'm aware of, and there are major holes in my knowledge)...so with that in mind, I wonder which ones you are getting exactly?

Get one that other people get good results with, i.e. Google is your friend. The best opamp on paper might not be the best one for the your application. Please remember not all opamps are made for audio, some are made for line amplification where signal fidelity is not the main priority. Fortunately too guide you through you can check out the DIY section at Head-fi.org, and the opamp manufacturers website, they provide a wealth of information on all their opamps and are in some cases ready to ship you samples for free.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
well I am a treble whore so I was thinking of the 637. They really frown here when links to eBay are posted so Il send you a PM with the link.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Auzentechs opamps are for sound, so no worries there. I assume you have some decent speakers to so you will actually notice the difference.. ^^

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Auzentechs opamps are for sound, so no worries there. I assume you have some decent speakers to so you will actually notice the difference.. ^^

These are them

LOL, the ones I really use are so so (M Audio monitors and Z2300s). The sound card shows up tomorrow and I am really interested to hear how it is compared to the Asus ones I have been using the last year.

It would be really cool to get a sound card for under $50 that was good and could even be tailored. Thats mostly why I gave this one a try.