• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OpenGL 2.1 or Dx10 - take a look yourself

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
yeah - I completely forgot about that game!

damn, that's old-schkool! :toast:

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Processor Amd phenom 2 955 @ 3800
Motherboard msi 790fx-gd70
Cooling coolermaster
Memory 4096 @1600 corsair
Video Card(s) sapphire 5770 @950-1350
Storage 1 seagate 80gb sata2 1 160gb seagate sata
Display(s) 20inch wide lg
Power Supply chieftech 750w
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
are you imply anything about my age ???

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
yupi yahoo we can now forgot microsoft

.get a life...the open gl isn't any good for the most 2 reasons
1 it is very hardware specific a lot...
2 isn't easy to create,by that i mean that it takes a lot of code to simply things,plus you gonna need some re-training to write something really good
3 even apple strangle to make a open graphic enviroment linux wait also but no one really cares because the transform between platforms are complex to say the least

i don't love dx 10 nore the microsoft but i give them credit for something they trying to bring together consoles and pc which is good for the pc -gamers ...if you havent notice the pc games are reducing..

p.s 3dfx was not opengl not even by close it was glide a superior over dx and opengl language but it was just for 3dfx gpus

Thats funny considering I have a basic knowledge on how to write for OpenGL, and a friend of mine has playing around with his mac years ago...

OpenGL is a cakewalk...

But beyond that yes as a majority it would not change much for people, but it would open a lot more market, there are a lot of people around that refuse to use an OS they have to pay for.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
but, sadly, the FireGL card can get stoopid priced (I've seen anywhere between $150-$870) - on average, for the cost of one really decent FireGL, you could buy two decent DX10 compliant cards.

true, but Glide was based off of OpenGL to begin with - it was just much harder to fully support than OpenGL was at the time, and partly why 3DFX supported OpenGL better than any other video card manufacturer during their heyday. And you're fully correct, as best as I understand it, it's a full-blown pain-in-the-ass to code OpenGL, and you need a GPU that can support it.

But, the upside as many have mentioned, is that an OpenGL game can operate better than a comparative hardware DX game. For example . . . going back to 2004 when Doom3 rolled out on the scene, it was fully OpenGL based. A comparative DX game released that same year, with nearly exactly the same minimum system specs was Thief: Deadly Shadows {the only difference in sys specs between these two is the minimum sys RAM recommended}. Both rendered very dark, complex environments, but Doom3 runs much faster with more models, emitters, effects, etc. being rendered at a time than Thief:DS does.

Almost EVERY even Dx9 card supports OpenGL 2.1 so... Now that its been said guess what its easier to get one and less hardware complaint BS than Dx10...

Also its easier to program in, people are just too lazy to learn anything new..

Third Fire GL/ML cards are for workstations NOT your gaming Dx10 cards. Look at the differences sometime.... They are in two different markets don't compare apples to oranges...

I would DIE to see an 8800Ultra go up against a Fire GL 3600 in CAD.... LOL it would get is arse handed to it sideways.

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Cooling coolermaster
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
i have the basic skill to write basic does this make me an expert? could i write a competive game ??

the answer is no opengl is nice but not attractive like dx or the xna or anything alse the majority of the users are buying vista for dx 10 ( a dumb move i could say) no one will install linux for opengl. 2.1 the main reason for that is that security not from viruses etc but that some one will make something nice for them

actually no one use just linux most of linux users are on dual boot and yes people pay for the os like it or not nothing good come from open sauce

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
actually no one use just linux most of linux users are on dual boot and yes people pay for the os like it or not nothing good come from open sauce

No comment.. I'll let people read this themselves.

Something to think about though......

Are you using a web browser to view this website?
Do you enjoying using the internet?

Well I guess you should stop because it came from "open sauce"

Shouldn't talk about things you don't know about... There is a lot of information between the members of this forum if you open your mind and listen to people that do know.

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Third Fire GL/ML cards are for workstations NOT your gaming Dx10 cards. Look at the differences sometime.... They are in two different markets don't compare apples to oranges...

I would DIE to see an 8800Ultra go up against a Fire GL 3600 in CAD.... LOL it would get is arse handed to it sideways.

yeah, I defi understand the FireGL's are workstation cards, without a doubt - but there are many people out there that don't see any difference (and that's the biggest reason why ATi doesn't advertise the FireGL's like they do the Radeon's).

Although, I am curious as I don't have much knowledge of CAD and other drafting software yet - are they really that GPU intensive, or are they more CPU? I'll be getting into AutoCAD and other software latter as I continue to pursue my engineering degree . . .

are you imply anything about my age ???

not in the least, man - just saying that was back when PC's still weren't a common household item yet; I'm old enough myself to easily remember such games and hardware from the early-mid 90's.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
yeah, I defi understand the FireGL's are workstation cards, without a doubt - but there are many people out there that don't see any difference (and that's the biggest reason why ATi doesn't advertise the FireGL's like they do the Radeon's).

Although, I am curious as I don't have much knowledge of CAD and other drafting software yet - are they really that GPU intensive, or are they more CPU? I'll be getting into AutoCAD and other software latter as I continue to pursue my engineering degree . .

CAD is both very greatly, and more one or the other depending on what you are doing...

They don't market Fire GL/ML lines in places the normal person would notice because they are not the market for those cards... That would be like Apple having a TV ad about how great the MacPro is as a DAW or CAD system, pretty useless people in the business know, it's their job.

I build machines for 3 guys who work with CAD, they all have 4+ gigs of ram, xeon chips, and fire GL's, and scsi drives, very hot machines, they buy new ones every 6-12 months on average.

*Sorry I think I was saying ML above its MV for the 2d card*

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I build machines for 3 guys who work with CAD, they all have 4+ gigs of ram, xeon chips, and fire GL's, and scsi drives, very hot machines, they buy new ones every 6-12 months on average.

wow, that's gotta be massive expensive rigs when it's said and done, what's the typical ballpark on those machines? Are they independent designers or do they work for a firm? I'm currently back in school for mechanical engineering, working towards a BA. I'm planning on staying in the automotive field, but hopefully will be in the engineering aspect of it when it's all said and done.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
wow, that's gotta be massive expensive rigs when it's said and done, what's the typical ballpark on those machines? Are they independent designers or do they work for a firm? I'm currently back in school for mechanical engineering, working towards a BA. I'm planning on staying in the automotive field, but hopefully will be in the engineering aspect of it when it's all said and done.

Two of them work for a firm, the other one does private stuff, not sure exactly what business any of them are in directly, and I don't do much for design work on those machines, they call me and tell me most of what they need, they are not stupid when it comes to what they want in their systems.

Although this next month here one of them is considering buying a MacPro to replace his pc, in which case I will lose his machine builds... I like Mac's I do, but I don't know enough about them to support them, especially at the OS level.

Generally they spend between $5-6k

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Cooling coolermaster
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
No comment.. I'll let people read this themselves.

Something to think about though......

Are you using a web browser to view this website?
Do you enjoying using the internet?

Well I guess you should stop because it came from "open sauce"

Shouldn't talk about things you don't know about... There is a lot of information between the members of this forum if you open your mind and listen to people that do know.

so you agree with all the other in my post and get mad with open sauce.......
i use ie7 i like it a lot i don't hate firefox i just don't care about it but,now for the majority of open source i really like it i really do but try to compare a open source application and a "closed" source application for this example try to take open office (which i use since the star office 2) and the office 2007 i think that the money which i will spend on office 2007 will give me more compatibility more plugins easy file transfer etc

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
so you agree with all the other in my post and get mad with open sauce.......
i use ie7 i like it a lot i don't hate firefox i just don't care about it but,now for the majority of open source i really like it i really do but try to compare a open source application and a "closed" source application for this example try to take open office (which i use since the star office 2) and the office 2007 i think that the money which i will spend on office 2007 will give me more compatibility more plugins easy file transfer etc

There is no doubt that open source "software" lacks support and some nice things...

But I'll tell you now Open Office for Linux or the full release from Sun Micro systems is hardly a poor program or un-supported.

Remember that everything Microsoft has done was started from open source, including a graphical interface, the entire internet, html, the idea that Mozilla is noted in IE....

Although there are downsides to open source which there are, nobody in their right mind would say there is not... But when it comes to OpenGL it is VERY widely supported, and its easy to program for, it also almost always 1 step ahead of Direct-X. I'm not saying Direct-X is horrible but its Microsoft...... As long as its owned and controlled by them and as long as every major game company relies on it, microsoft will continue to control the gaming industry and get away with things like Vista, and not releasing the SDK's to ATi so they could start a Dx10 card lineup...

Not to mention its a TON of mess making linux support Dx.... Is it that the programmers of linux fault... No thats Microsoft, people complain because Apple/Mac's are all proprietary, what they generally fail to see is so is Microsoft, DirectX, .Net and more, and they are literally using their company size and power to force it to the point they can take a serious market monopoly... The people at the top of MS are NOT stupid, they run an incredibly powerful company, and a extremely profitable one *for the chair holders*

I among many other people just don't like the way they do business and when open source does on the rare time have something easier to implement and cheaper, and to top it all off better almost all the way around it would be nice to see MS not pull the crap of destroying its performance under their new os.

As for people that dual boot.....
I have a list of people about a mile long I talk to a lot that ONLY run open source versions of Linux and have for years... There are a lot more out there.. Yes though most do dual boot.

von kain

System Name intel-hate
Cooling coolermaster
Software windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores nah
every company haves the right to do what ever is necessary for them to be secure if microsoft adopts open source the most banks or anything need security will try to find another closed company,the main reason is that if ms show her code many open source programmers will copy them on any program even solitaire not to mention the crackers ehich will bring world to its knees with kernel based virus.
microsoft is very smart not to show her code,
if you really like open source microsoft have start some open source programs for its os .

i don't have shares or i work for microsoft i just feel in my mind they are right if you feel i am wrong i am more than just willing to hear your ideas but please keep in mind that just because is free it not meaning a thing

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
Well things like like the source to their OS I wouldn't except to be open... Redhat isn't open either... Nor is Suse... Those are used by banks and such also.

But giving support for Dx under linux or mac os, would that be so bad, or how about writing .Net correctly so it works between different os's at least. I understand security and even company security to keep them alive and moving, I would hate to see MS fall as a company and dissolve, that would be very bad, but they don't need to be the pricks they are.

By the way they are in or going to be in I don't know if its started yet a HUGE class action lawsuit in the US over their .Net not being cross platform compatible for a number of things which lead to a lot of people dying. Their slack work and ways or cornering markets is a whole lot worse than games.