• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opera Integrates Web Mining Protection in Their Latest Opera 50 RC

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Opera has announced that the latest, Release Candidate (RC) version of their web browser now incorporates an innovative cryptocurrency mining protection baked in. Opera has been one of the most versatile browsers for some time now, offering integrated VPN, AdBlocker, and bandwidth reduction on its releases. Some issues, such as measure of lacking visibility against Firefox and Chrome, and performance that's seldom in the top spot from the available offerings in the market, has kept this browser from being the go-to option for users. Now, the opera team have again innovated, by integrating a cryptocurrency web mining blocker onto the latest release.

The solution, dubbed NoCoin, works within the confines of the integrated AdBlocking protection, with extended lists that eliminates cryptocurrency mining scripts that "overuse your device's computing ability." To enable the mining protection, users need to go to Settings or Preferences. The NoCoin (Cryptocurrency) setting can be found in Recommended lists of ad filters in the Block ads page. "With NoCoin turned on, pages embedded with cryptocurrency mining scripts will be blocked in a similar way our mechanism blocks ads," said Opera desktop QA Kornelia Mielczarczyk. This is all well and good, but some extensions already offer this kind of protection, and with Google adding their own AdBlocking solution to Chrome in early 2018, this feature exclusivity likely won't remain an additional arrow in Opera's feature quiver for long.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

It's really a shame people opt for stupid fat Chrome over far better Opera. I used to complain it's too basic and limited when they launched this Chromium based version years ago. But now it reached a point it's actually almost better than version 12.x was. If they work some extra on customization of interface like rearranging buttons and elements, it'll be just as good. And since it has all this stuff already integrated, I don't need fat extensions for every little thing. Started using it because of problems with Firefox prior Quantum update and now I can't let it go. Especially since Opera on smartphones is also the best browser. Having them in sync just makes browsing so convenient and easy anywhere you are. The most common argument is "The Chinese own them now". Because Google is such excellent example for privacy concerns, the biggest data hoarding and mining company in the world, right? Who are these people kidding? If you like how it works, just use it. You may fall in love with it.

Can't wait for Opera 50 :D

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I like Opera as well. Pretty neat browser. I use Firefox at home and Opera for work.

Well done Opera!
I like Opera as well. Pretty neat browser. I use Firefox at home and Opera for work.
Opera was my default browser for years until Firefox became better. The changes to the newest Firefox have motivated me to start seriously looking for a browser that better fit my needs. Waterfox is great but this new development begs a close look at this new version of Opera.

It's really a shame people opt for stupid fat Chrome over far better Opera. I used to complain it's too basic and limited when they launched this Chromium based version years ago. But now it reached a point it's actually almost better than version 12.x was.
It depends. In a forum I go to, people don't trust VPN as data goes through to them, but it varies from person to person. Some trust Chrome more than anything, so it's the same as questioning everything. (They wonder just because Opera offers VPN, how can we trust it)

I have Opera and the only problem I have is when I go to survey sites and some say that my browser is not supported. So, I need to remove the Opera string in the UA.

Other than that, Chromum doesn't block items from loading, they just hide them. Tested with No Script Lite on both Firefox and Opera.

It depends. In a forum I go to, people don't trust VPN as data goes through to them, but it varies from person to person. Some trust Chrome more than anything, so it's the same as questioning everything. (They wonder just because Opera offers VPN, how can we trust it) I have Opera and the only problem I have is when I go to survey sites and some say that my browser is not supported. So, I need to remove the Opera string in the UA. Other than that, Chromum doesn't block items from loading, they just hide them. Tested with No Script Lite on both Firefox and Opera.
The VPN usage can be disabled.

Of course, I was merely saying how people can trust something "deemed" as secure while others not trust it.

It depends. In a forum I go to, people don't trust VPN as data goes through to them, but it varies from person to person. Some trust Chrome more than anything, so it's the same as questioning everything. (They wonder just because Opera offers VPN, how can we trust it)

I have Opera and the only problem I have is when I go to survey sites and some say that my browser is not supported. So, I need to remove the Opera string in the UA.

Other than that, Chromum doesn't block items from loading, they just hide them. Tested with No Script Lite on both Firefox and Opera.

So, you don't trust their VPN, but you entirely trust your ISP. Because, ALL data goes through them. Do you really trust your ISP this much? Not much different really.
Also, items are blocked by the AdBlocker. Otherwise webpages wouldn't load faster with Adblock, they'd just look nicer without the ads, but they'd still take same amount of time to load and render.

I never said that I didn't trust their VPN, I was merely explaining why people don't.
Odd, I was getting more bandwidth consumption using Chromium and No Script on my Badwidth meter versus Firefox and No Script.
Same sites during the test were still gathering data on Opera but no more data on Firefox, like it stopped everything, the bottom-left stuff where it says "Reading (site), Waiting (site), transferring data (site)."

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Ooh Opera, a browser that innovate features that I don't even remember now but always at the back of the pack

You'll always be the companion of my Firefox

System Name Fedora
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X370
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 6800
Opera is owned by Chinese Golden Brick Capital. Bet that VPN traffic goes thru Great Firewall of China to make sure chinese users don't talk bad about their rulers :>