1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Opinion between Maximus Formula Or Maximus Formula II

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by night-crawler, Aug 6, 2008.

1. night-crawler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, first I apologize if this isn't the right place for my doubt, I was going to post under Motherboards & Memory, but think it fits best here.

So for the question I have for all of you who are inside the thing, since I've been away for a year or something.

I'm going to buy a new PC, for the CPU was thinking in an E8400 or E8500, the memory would be 2x2GB OCZ and the VGA a HD4850 (one), so for the board I'm stuck, what should I choose the "Old" Asus Maximus Formula X38 or the Asus Maximus Formula II P45.

Note: Overclocking will be made.

Thank you for your answers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Is money a factor to any degree?, If not. DDR3 and P45 I would say.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are using a single card the Formula II for sure! It's a way better overclocker than the x38 Maximus.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. night-crawler New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to keep the budget low, and still aim for a good setup, dunno in other countrys, here in portugal, DDR3 it's a little high for my wallet, that's why I asked between those two DDR2 boards.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. night-crawler New Member

Thanks Received:
    eventually i will go for two, not for now no budget for that :), tell me you'd choose x38 if I said I were going for two ATI's?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Don't let Rocker stain ya... lol.. I think the Max 2 board would be the way to go man. the P45 boards are new and fresh. The max 2 is suppose to be a better oc'er and that's the way to go.. Rocker has had the Max board, and so do I, but if I had the choice right now, I'd grab the new kid on the block.
    Even if you went Cross fire... But, that is my two pennies.

7. night-crawler New Member

Thanks Received:
    All the pennies are welcome :D and since I've been away from computers such a long time I thank all of you who answer, I still have an old K8N Neo Patinum with a 3200+, it's been a while:p

"the P45 boards are new and fresh"
    I allways had the habit of not buying fresh stuff, and wait till something proved to be good and "rock solid" - in MB's something with a few bios releases - to buy, I'm not quite an enthusiast, had my time :)

But I'm open to all opinions, not closing my self to an old idea, and since the price between de Maximus and the Maximus II it's very low...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Well, from what the other P45 boards are showing in the mad crazy FSB show ups... I would say a name like the Max II would be a good choice. I mean, if a board can get 500fsb then it's nothing to joke about... After seeing Sneeky's 500+ on the DFI Blood Iron board, I had to grab it.... And did 550fsb on the baby. God I loved that board, but not really as much as the board I have now...

I can understand you not wanting what just came out. I would be the same. But, you look at it this way also with the new stuff... Anything goes wrong, warr. and you'lll be one of the first to sport it...

But, like I said in my first one. My pennies bro. :toast:

9. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    We are on the eva of the Nehalem release. Once released this should reduce the price on all remaining x38, x48 and P45 chipsets.

10 Year Member at TPU