• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Disc Drive owners club

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
For all those who (still) own an optical disc drive, be it an old CDRW or combo CDRW/DVD (read) drive or a typical CD/DVD+-RW multi drive or bluray (multi) drive, or perhaps even a drive for a new, much less common format such as the Archival Disc by Sony and Panasonic, for whatever purpose (burning, playback and other reading, ripping (note that ripping typical commercial DVDs and blurays is illegal in the United States per the glorious DMCA and perhaps some other countries as well because it involves cracking the (A)CSS copy protection mechanism)). This is one of the least exclusive clubs on TPU, you can join for just $20 or even less if you are willing to go used (if you have a 5.25" bay, otherwise it will be slightly more expensive).

With the demise of the club.myce.com forums this year (although part of its content can still be accessed thanks to the Internet Archive) a lot of knowledge about optical disc technology for the average consumer has become inaccessible. Luckily I was reading these forums a lot in the last half of 2021, absorbing a lot of knowledge about optical media.

What I use my optical drives for:
  • ripping pressed audio CDs (used CDs can be an excellent deal sometimes and with deceased or already extremely wealthy artists I do not personally feel to need to purchase the music new to support the artist; furthermore, some music can only be purchased on CD, used or new) as I do not like the idea of eternally relying on Spotify for access to my favorite music
  • burning CD-Rs for use in my car player (much more convenient and reliable, in my opinion, than having to deal with some gadget to connect my iPhone Xr via Bluetooth and then having to fumble with Spotify when I have to go somewhere)
  • burning CD-Rs and DVD+Rs for archival/backup purposes; I do not want to rely solely on SSDs and HDDs with potential for bit rot (not to mention general failure) for storing my most important data. Truly irreplacable data gets backed up on very high quality CD-Rs (and stored properly, of course!), while other stuff gets backed up on DVD+Rs (or not at all).
Drives I own:
  • TSST (Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology, a joint venture between, as the name suggests, Japanese Toshiba and Korean Samsung; it was purchased by its South Korean (optical pickup unit or OPU) supplier Optis, however, before going bankrupt in 2016) SH-224DB CD/DVD burner (connected with a Startech USB 2.0 IDE/SATA adapter to my desktop), purchased open box from eBay in 2021; it is an excellent CD and DVD reader with its Mediatek chipset and said to be a great DVD burner as well; not sure how well it burns CDs. Sold as a "Samsung Super Writemaster".
  • HL-DT-ST (Hitachi-LG Data Storage, a joint venture between, as the name, suggests Japanese Hitachi and Korean LG, still in business, although unfortunately quality has gone down the drain in an effort to keep costs low in the shrinking market for optical disc drives) WH16NS40 (it actually seems to be an NS50 based on its exterior design but for inexplicable reasons LG has been selling newer drives under the NS40 model code, which has led to great confusion) with firmware 1.03 (DO NOT upgrade this drive to the new firmware version 1.05 as you will brick it and LG will tell you to get lost if it is out of warranty) bluray burner in an OWC Mercury USB 3.0 enclosure (purchased prebuilt from Adorama years ago)
Blank media I own:
  • PlexDisc (a Vinpower Digital brand) 16X DVD+R logo top 100-pack (Optodisc MID; made by an unknown (probably the huge CMC Magnetics) Taiwanese manufacturer (in Taiwan) as Optodisc allegedly no longer as its own plants anymore), purchased from eBay (runtechmedia store)
  • Falcon Media/FTI 52X inkjet/hub printable, water repellent 80 min/700 MB 50-pack Premium line CD-R cakebox, purchased from Polyline Corp of Burbank, California
    • Japanese TDK ATIP (manufacturing equipment was purchased by FTI from TDK when they got out of the CD-R manufacturing business)
    • Made in Ras al-Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
    • https://falconrak.com/product/premium-line-cd-r/
    • relatively expensive so I only use it for archival/backup purposes
    • made by what seems to be the only blank/recordable optical media manufacturer left that is not based in either the PRC (China) or ROC (Taiwan) so probably a good idea to support them if you love optical media and are worried about a possible China-Taiwan conflict in the future
  • Piodata (a Vinpower Digital brand) 52X CD-R white top 50 pack (CMC Magnetics ATIP so almost certainly also manufactured by them, Made in Taiwan)
    • cheap so I use them for audio CDs that will be used in my car and therefore inevitably scratched up and exposed to unpleasant temperatures) and also for OS (Linux/*BSD) discs that will be used only once or maybe twice
  • Verbatim DVD+R 16X 10-pack (CMC Magnetics M01 MID), purchased from some random person on eBay because I needed some DVD+Rs quickly and for a reasonable price. Not sure if it was my particular pack that I did not purchase directly from a reputable store or just this Verbatim product in general but they came with debris inside and visual imperfections and I got a terrible burn with one of them. Overall unhappy with these. Just get some PlexDiscs from runtechmedia instead!
Drives I want to buy:
  • new old stock Sony Optiarc AD-7200S (or one of its "clone"s, i.e. rebadges); the legendary burner from 2008

Optical drive information:
TSST ('Samsung') optical drives table courtesy of Myce and CDRinfo.pl communities
PLDS ('Lite-On') optical drives table courtesy of Myce and CDRinfo.pl communities
HL-DT-ST (Hitachi-LG or 'LG') optical drives table courtesy of Myce and CDRinfo.pl communities
Sony Optiarc NEC optical drives table courtesy of Myce and CDRinfo.pl communities

Places to buy affordable and quality blank media (it will be a bit US/North America centric for now but suggestions for other parts of the world are more than welcome!):
Runtechmedia Store on eBay (I would not buy BD-Rs from any Vinpower Digital brand (e.g. PlexDisc, Optical Quantum, Piodata) from them though as I only trust Verbatim DataLifePlus BD-Rs (VERBATIMe MID))
mediawholesaleonline store on eBay (they sell HP and Philips branded discs, which are said to be a relatively good grade of CMC Magnetics made (Made in Taiwan) discs; they sell other stuff such as Sony and Verbatim as well but keep in mind that those are just brands and not (anymore!) the actual manufacturers of the discs; personally I would not use these for archival or serious backups but they are cheap and fine for general purpose use; they also sell Verbatim DataLifePlus and M-Disc bluray discs)
Polyline Corp CDs (they sell FTI/Falcon Media discs as well as Verbatim (DataLifePlus, i.e. their own ATIP rather than (rebranded) CMC) and CMC Pro with the legendary Japanese Taiyo Yuden ATIP discs)
Polyline Corp DVDs (they sell FTI/Falcon Media discs with TDK MIDs (you may want to avoid these as degradation has been reported for these with both the original TDK made as well as FTI made ones!), Verbatim (DataLifePlus, i.e. Verbatim/MCC/Mitsubishi Chemicals MID) discs and CMC Pro discs with the Japanese Taiyo Yuden MIDs)
Rima (they sell Ritek Pro (Japanese Maxell MID for DVDs, Ritek ATIP for CDs) and CMC Pro (Japanese Taiyo Yuden MID/ATIP) discs and also Verbatim DataLifePlus BD-Rs; I have personally purchased CD quad cases from them to store my archival CD-Rs)

<< I will continue updating this original post with more information over time >>

keywords of stuff to be added in the future: cdrecord, cdrskin, dvdisaster, opti drive control, PREMM2

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Good post, let's bring optical drives back! :)

I have a Pioneer external BD-burner (chassis don't have slots for internal ones anymore). I use it for CD ripping, too. You can get awesome deals on albums at carboot / flea market sales. The other use is data backup. I also thought I'd use it for watching films, but there's no free software for BD, and I've got a BD player hooked to the TV in the living room, so there isn't much need. :D

I honestly miss the time when games came on optical media and didn't require Internet connection to install. :(

Cooling pretty good
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Good post, let's bring optical drives back! :)

I have a Pioneer external BD-burner (chassis don't have slots for internal ones anymore). I use it for CD ripping, too. You can get awesome deals on albums at carboot / flea market sales. The other use is data backup. I also thought I'd use it for watching films, but there's no free software for BD, and I've got a BD player hooked to the TV in the living room, so there isn't much need. :D

I honestly miss the time when games came on optical media and didn't require Internet connection to install. :(
I have read that Pioneer BD drives are one of the few currently produced drives that are still well-made and that burn pretty well. Personally, I would not use such as expensive drive for CD ripping though. Also, Mediatek chipset drives are generally considered to better readers (i.e. reading discs in relatively poor condition well and with good speed), while your Pioneer would be Renesas based. I would get a cheap Mediatek based DVD drive for that instead (avoid modern LG DVD drives and their ASUS rebadges though as they have terrible build quality). I can recommend some drives but I don't know what is easily and inexpensively available in the UK.

I rarely game anymore and for the last couple of years have almost exclusively used Steam but I certainly remember getting my first "real" (before that I was playing free crappy online Flash games) games: NFS Underground 2 (2*CD-ROM) and Colin McRae Rally 2005 (1*DVD-ROM). By then they were already years old but they were affordable with pocket money and they would run on the extremely crappy integrated (Intel GMA, pre-HD series) graphics of the laptop I had at the time. Then I got NFS Most Wanted (2005) too. Later I got a PS3 (around the Slim era) and got some games for that.

EDIT:
If you have the space then these should last you for quite a while: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223449200168 and they are great drives.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I have read that Pioneer BD drives are one of the few currently produced drives that are still well-made and that burn pretty well. Personally, I would not use such as expensive drive for CD ripping though. Also, Mediatek chipset drives are generally considered to better readers (i.e. reading discs in relatively poor condition well and with good speed), while your Pioneer would be Renesas based. I would get a cheap Mediatek based DVD drive for that instead (avoid modern LG DVD drives and their ASUS rebadges though as they have terrible build quality). I can recommend some drives but I don't know what is easily and inexpensively available in the UK.

I rarely game anymore and for the last couple of years have almost exclusively used Steam but I certainly remember getting my first "real" (before that I was playing free crappy online Flash games) games: NFS Underground 2 (2*CD-ROM) and Colin McRae Rally 2005 (1*DVD-ROM). By then they were already years old but they were affordable with pocket money and they would run on the extremely crappy integrated (Intel GMA, pre-HD series) graphics of the laptop I had at the time. Then I got NFS Most Wanted (2005) too. Later I got a PS3 (around the Slim era) and got some games for that.

EDIT:
If you have the space then these should last you for quite a while: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223449200168 and they are great drives.
To be honest, I only use this drive maybe once every half year or so and I'm absolutely happy with it. So buying another one just to read media would be a waste of money.

I have some writable BD M-discs waiting to be used for backup. I only have to arrange my photos and videos and see if I have 25 GB worth of them. :)

Cooling pretty good
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
To be honest, I only use this drive maybe once every half year or so and I'm absolutely happy with it. So buying another one just to read media would be a waste of money.

I have some writable BD M-discs waiting to be used for backup. I only have to arrange my photos and videos and see if I have 25 GB worth of them. :)
In that case it absolutely makes sense to stick to one drive. If you are ripping a ton of discs then it makes sense to get a special drive for that. I actually got my WH16NS40 for BD backups but I grew disillusioned with bluray for backup/archival after a lot of reading on Myce. Basically it turns out that a lot of the promises with regard to stability/longevity of HTL bluray were only promises... On top of that the best bluray discs (Sony and Panasonic) are no longer manufactured and are very expensive. Pretty rapid degradation has been reported with the widely available and affordable CMC Magnetics BA5 discs. I think Verbatim discs (DataLifePlus, the ones they actually make themselves, not the cheaper ones that are just Verbatim branded BA5). Ritek BD-Rs should also be avoided due to severe degradation. M-Disc is a good option but expensive. In the end I decided to just go with CD-R and DVD+R instead as it is proven, there are more choices and drives are cheaper and more common as well.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Hell yeah, let's give optical media some love.

My main drive is an LG WH16SN40 that has been downgraded from firmware version 1.03 to 1.02. I downgraded it because a useful feature (unrestricted ripping speed) in my ripping software of choice relies on an exploit that was patched in 1.03, but not in 1.02.

I primarily use the drive for ripping Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs to my Plex server. It also comes in handy if I need to burn an OS install disk for an old PC that doesn't support USB boot.

I also back up all sorts of stuff to optical media, like games and family photos/videos. I forced myself to learn Inno Setup so I can effectively repack my games for personal use. I can spread the installers across multiple DVDs or BDs if necessary.

I use blank media almost exclusively from Verbatim. They have objectively superior BD-R discs to everyone else. I do have some DVD-R and CD-R discs from Memorex, Sony, and Philips that I use sometimes.

I also have an HD DVD/Blu-ray combo drive that I scored at a computer repair shop years ago, but the last time I used it I couldn't read DVDs with it.

Last edited:
My drive gets very little use. Inside sit's Windows 7 Disc ready for fresh install & to protect the disc. Win 7 disk never gets removed. it's been inside the drive for the best part of over 3-4 years. You can see that my drive is one of the most expensive drives ever built. Pioneer released later models not sure how expensive the newer models are.

I also have a soundbar with built-in Bluray drive which also gets very little use. This unit was made to hang on the wall. I think this is another rare drive this time by Panasonic. AFAIK this is the only hangable soundbar with built-in Bluray drive that mounts on the wall that was ever built. So this unit is also special & unique.

Anyway you can see my Pioneer drive in device manger below.

Attachments

• DVD Drive.PNG
    DVD Drive.PNG
    212.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Interesting thread & nice to see interest in optical disk storage solutions. I still have about 10 CD/DVD players around my place, some old, some not so old. All designed to fit into computer cases of course but still have a media player in my lounge room that uses optical disk playback for blue ray & standard discs that I still use regularly.
One thing for sure though, with longevity of data storage, optical disk is still it. I have a TDK CD data disc from about 20 yrs ago that still holds all its data accurately like the day it was recorded.
Here's a quick screenshot of one of the Asus units I still have in a system here that I'm typing this from ...

OpticalDrive_1 - Copy.JPG

Err I should have posted that I have a collection of external optical drives, all SCSI from my Amiga days. I have three slot loading DVD drives, two from Pioneer one from Toshiba. I also have two Yamaha CD drives.

I have a further three portable CD drives, two from Panasonic & one from Sony. But I have another very rare CD drive this is by AWIA ACD 300 another special & unique drive. It's made for computers but it can be used stand alone. You can see it here. Just a absolute beautiful drive just to own. AIWA ACD-300 External SCSI CD Drive (ami64.com)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I have a LG BluRay/HD Dvd rewriteable drive, it's still installed in my case but I suppose only for nostalgic reasons as I havent used it in about 3 years but I still move it over to any new builds :oops:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just a plug in Samsung BDwriter for backup's and random rip's.

No need to have it out on show since it's seldom used.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I have removed the dvd-cd-rom-r-rw player from my PC quite a while ago.

I own a separate Sony Blu-Ray player connected to my 4K TV.

Got a new toy, which came with cd-player and can play all recent audio formats. :rockout:
20220925_190246.jpg

Last edited:
System Name gaming pcasus
Processor Ryzen9 5900x
Motherboard gigabyte b550 x v2
Cooling h100i cpu cooler 2 120 mm fans in front of case and 1 120mm fan at rear
Memory 2 x 8gb crucial ram
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Gaming A
Storage 1 samsung 970 evo plus 500gb 1 wd black sn 850 500gb 2 x 1 tb ssd drives 1 3tb hard drive
Display(s) Asus VP229
Case corsair obsidian 750d
Power Supply corsair rm850
Mouse corsair hapoon rgb pro
Keyboard corsair k30
Software windows 11
i have a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-S09

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I have an old external Sanyo DVD burner but haven't used it in quite a while, the last time was when I made a bootable W10 Pro disk for relative who doesn't like flash drives for some reason....

Now if only I could sell all the blank discs that I have laying around, even for .50 each, I could probably retire tomorrow... :roll:

Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling 15 Enermax Squa Rgb fans Enermax Auquafusion 360 AIO
Memory 128GB G Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18-32GTZR
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster MERC310 Radeon RX 7900XT
Storage SAMSUNG 990PRO W/heatsink (PCI-E 4.0 x4) 1TB and 2TB, 8 Seagate ST6000NM0034 6TB in Raid 6
Display(s) SAMSUNG C27F390 X2, Samsung 55" 4k
Case Phanteks ENTHOO PRIMO
Audio Device(s) Integra DTR 50.4 7.1 Surround
Power Supply Corsair HX1000x
Mouse Microsoft wirless mouse 5000
Keyboard Microsoft wirless keyboard 5050
VR HMD 4 LG WH16NS60 Blu-Ray burners flashed for 4k ripping. Hauppauge dual tuner tv card
Software Windows 11 pro
I have backup of these drives also in case one breaks. I rip my 4K movies and still make cd's and dvd's.
Untitled.png

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I have an ASUS External USB DVD/RW drive I keep for "emergencies"(Read old games)

i rip Blu-rays on pioneer external, and DVDs plus CD on my internal, only bother with CD if i cant buy it digitally through amazon

I stopped burning CDs once I swapped-out my car for a modern system that reads USB key drives (but I cheat, and use the exact same per-disc layout -just this time under numbered sub-folders)

Last edited:
I have a LG BluRay/HD Dvd rewriteable drive, it's still installed in my case but I suppose only for nostalgic reasons as I havent used it in about 3 years but I still move it over to any new builds :oops:
I use mine frequently, but many of you know I am an avid backups type of guy! I will never be without an optical drive unless something ground-breaking and less expensive hits the market.

Am I the only one that stock piles optical drives?? Lol got more in a box somewhere round here...

View attachment 263077
Nope, I have a bunch of spares too.

I have removed the dvd-cd-rom-r-rw player from my PC quite a while ago.

I own a separate Sony Blu-Ray player connected to my 4K TV.

Got a new toy, which came with cd-player and can play all recent audio formats. :rockout:
View attachment 263036
Oh, that's it, rub your new-hotness in some more brah... ;)

Processor i7-8700K
Motherboard Asus Z370
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage WD SSD & HDD
Display(s) Dell 1440p
Case Mesh SFF
Audio Device(s) mobo ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Software Win10pro 22H2
Yea Optical! I put a LG WH16SN40 in the SFF mesh case, and the laptop has a Hitachi CD/DVD. Both have been reliable reader/writers. For new and old movie watching and old music CDs.

And just two spare LG DVD R/RW from 2004. Doubt i'll use them again but ya' never know.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Wait, I almost forgot, I still have my CD-i player!! :rockout:

And a defect 3CD changer stereo set... :ohwell:

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Own one, but currently disconnected (still in case).

What it was last used for was playing some old knightmare tv show episodes sent to me on dvd discs.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I have no idea of how many optical drives I actually own. I know it's less than 40 starting with Plextor IDE drives at the oldest and Asus/Lite-On at the newest. The most recent new drive I purchased was an Asus from Newegg a few months ago. My best score though was a Lite-On iHBS-212 Blu-ray off Ebay last year for $5. It was being sold for parts/not working. The seller told me he'd bought it new several years ago and had burning issues with it and stashed it away. Since I already have two more of the same model in use I took a chance and snapped it up. A firmware update cured it (still had the original first release version it it) and it's working great.

I have several hundred blank CD's and DVD's in my inventory. For a while people on the local Craigslist were giving them away and I took all I could find (and still do). While I mainly use USB flash drives now I still burn optical disks once in a while.

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
I use an LG BP50NB40 external USB drive for most of my optical needs, due to the lack of 5.25" drives. It works great and it’s extremely helpful for my computers that don’t want to boot from a USB.

I was at Micro Center a couple years ago looking at their optical media, and stumbled upon this DVD-RAM drive for 5 bucks. I had heard of this type of disk and wanted to check it out but only later realized it was the early type that is in a housing. Unfortunately I do not have any drive that takes in these DVD-RAM cartridges but it’s still a very neat thing to have.

Attachments

• 0F1291FE-D776-403F-841A-0ED7EEFCB693.jpeg
    0F1291FE-D776-403F-841A-0ED7EEFCB693.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 189

Mine had to make space for a 140mm fan.. :D