• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Drive hlp

Roadman

Thanks for all the help on the HD I went with the Seagate 750GB 7200RPM w/ 32MB Cache.

Now I have another prob. The optical drive he has is not sata but it has a read speed of 52x CD and 16X DVD & 2MB of Cache. I wanted to update to SATA but all I can find is speeds of 48x & 16X w/ 2 MB of cache. Now again I'm not very bright when it comes to this kind of stuff but I'm trying to learn. For gaming purposes which do they use CD or DVD and which speed should I be more concerned with. Thank you again in advance!

For gaming you'll want atleast DVD drive. 9/10 games now are on DVD or DVD DL. Read and write don't matter when it comes to games, you only use the disc to install the game. And after that it's use to make sure actually own the disk (CD-DVD check) So getting a dvd drive, i would recommend any of these There all SATA Drives, I own the Samsung drive. I just needed one that was SATA and supported LightScribe.

Roadman

Thanks CrackerJack,

What about some of the games that you need the disk to play?? Not sure if their are many like that anymore but I remember when I played we had to have the disk in the drive to play it. I have one know I play on mine and I need the disk. Would this make a difference??

Thanks CrackerJack,

What about some of the games that you need the disk to play?? Not sure if their are many like that anymore but I remember when I played we had to have the disk in the drive to play it. I have one know I play on mine and I need the disk. Would this make a difference??

I still be believe they do this check. But peformance wise, there be no difference. The game is only check for the disc. Which the check only last about 15 sec. I just a see if you actually own the game. You can even take the disc out after the game has loaded.

Roadman

Thanks again crackerjack,

Good info. and here I always thought it needed to be in to play. I may be old but I'm still learning. Just doing some upgrades on my sons and mine as well. Actually I will be taking some of his old stuff being mine is about 8 years old and his is only 1 1/2 years. I will look at some of those from newegg.