• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optiplex gx270 rescue attempt

Skypup

Hi all...I'm a newby on this site, but am trying to decide whether to recap the cap-plagued dell gx270. Tower....it looks like i need to purchase at least 3 different values...most of these bulgers around the cpu....i have worked for a few decades in an electronics repair department so am familiar with soldering...i have accumulated quite a selection of software (mostly games) native to xp/vista from 90's to mid 2000 period and would like to revive this machine for nostalgic reasons....also I've heard win 10 will not recognize xp-vista titles (even in compatibility mode)....and I'm not familiar with creating a virtual xp system or partition within win10. If i do the recapping, do i need to remove the cpu, or just remove the metal plate under the cpu on other side of motherboard to remove caps? (as i am unfamiliar with cpu removal/replacement) ...i have wristband/cord, solder and iron...the other option, getting a new motherboard might be almost as much as acquiring the replacement electrolytics...i can order a motherboard on amazon for about $30 or $40, but it is for the gx270 small desktop motherboard...will this fit in the tower case? It looks exactly like the full motherboard (for tower) except is shorter, and has one less sata connector, and 3 less pci slots...if this does fit and i am successful with the cpu swap, i will probably have to reactivate xp also (if it boots up)...also the affected caps seem to be rubicon and not nichicon (which were notorious for this problem esp around cpu)...this leads me to wonder if dell had a design flaw around this area, or too much heat buildup...i believe there were 3 different speed of motherboards with this model...don't know if i have the 800mhz one - how to tell if i can't boot up?...i am not 100% sure that problem is the caps, or something additional, but symptoms slowly worsened ( Kernel error, freezing and lastly no bootup)if i tackle the recapping, do i need special solder, or just 60/40? any and all suggestions helpful, thanx