• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OS question for a future build.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
It is all hypothetical argument depending upon your hardware.
A HDD is slower than an SSD.
A SSD has a lower number of max read/writes (techinically) than a HDD.

Who cares? This is TPU. Run your hardware at it's limits. You're going to be upgrading in 1 to 3 years anyway and the SSD will last that long as a pagefile device, especially if you have gobs of RAM (less paging).

This pampering of hardware reminds me of the people who say "OMG, Windows is using all my RAM!"
So what, that's why you bought it, wasn't it? What good it 16GB of RAM if you never use it?
Superfetch FTW ! Win 7 loads stuff instantly because it loads up your RAM with what you use the most.

The only reason to conserve is if you want to reduce power usage. Everything you add to the system will consume some level of power even if idle. If you are not worried about the power consumption, load 'er up and crank it up.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Who cares? This is TPU. Run your hardware at it's limits. You're going to be upgrading in 1 to 3 years anyway and the SSD will last that long as a pagefile device, especially if you have gobs of RAM (less paging).

This pampering of hardware reminds me of the people who say "OMG, Windows is using all my RAM!"
So what, that's why you bought it, wasn't it? What good it 16GB of RAM if you never use it?
Superfetch FTW ! Win 7 loads stuff instantly because it loads up your RAM with what you use the most.

fair enough well argued , bit intense but im pagein from ssd then now lol:D

im no pamperer lol i just thought it killed em way to quick

keling

System Name X
Processor Intel Core 2 i5 2500K (Stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68-DS3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeange 2X2GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD 5850 1GB @ 771mhz
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Black Edition
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2232BW 22" LCD 1680X1050
Case The same one from 2003. The Nameless One.
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-702 700W
Software WINDOW 7 PRO 64bit OEM
Ok. I think I got what I've asked for.

Windows 7 Professional it is then. Thanks for the suggestions.

GTG. The weekends is coming to a close and I'll be returning to the jungle early Monday morning. It'll be another week before I'll visit TPU again since there's no internet there (not to mention it hasn't rain in a week and the river is starting to dry up-our main mode of travel).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
im no pamperer lol i just thought it killed em way to quick

That's why you buy two and put them in RAID0. More speed, half the writes.

In all honesty, my post was a little over the top. I understand that not everyone upgrades on a regular basis (myself included) and want the hardware to last as long as possible.
That being said, I think that people read too much into all the data that we are spoon fed on a daily basis and really need to look at what they actually need in their everyday computing environment.

I've given away a couple of SSDs in contests, but do not use one myself.
Why? I don't need one. I am happy with the way my computer runs. It's fast and games run well (even with my trusty old 4870x2).
I do mostly coding and my programs compile in a flash on my rig. I don't need to shave a couple of seconds off of boot time as my computer is usually running all the time or if it's not its up by the time I grab a beer and get back to it.

My advice to people who ask me about hardware and software is to sit back and take a few minutes to assess what you really need to make your computer experience agreeable.
If what you need is the top of the line, fastest tech availalbe (or even if you just want it) then by all means go for it. :toast:

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Professional...professional...professional....have a nice ring to it.

I use:

Windows server 2008 x64 Enterprise Service pack 2