• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

over-powered

B

bassmasta

when i read that mac could run windows vista, i decided to look at their product line, the idea being a cheap pc w/ same speed. i was astonished, as i looked at the mac pro, there are eight (8) ram slots allowing a working 16 gig ram, and alot of pci-e slots (wasn't sure just how many, but you could get four nvidia cards running together and still have room when i looked at their customise page). i doubt if windows would support this outrageous hardware, but why not? obviously this is a waste of money because there are no public-targeted programs that could use all of that, but why hasn't microsoft worked out a way to do this?:confused:

You can do all that with a PC[ MACs are Intels now] just the price would be insane But the MAC is probably even more:) It sounds like a Intel server or highend work station board something thats more for OEM use. The MAC mini is a C2D ITX board, your really paying for OS and the high[ compared to most PC OEM] QC that apple provides. They sold out in my book,now we have one desktop CPU standard x86.
You should see a drop in 3 and 4 slot pci-e x16 when physics comes in to play right now the uses would be for supercomputing using GPGPU tech.

Mac Pro is Greencreek, ie Xeon DP. Windows works just fine on it.

Also, 8 ram slots allow 32GB of RAM, FB DIMM's are freely available in 4GB flavour and the memory controller has no problems with these amounts.