1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking, a Waste of Time and Money?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by jwebby, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jwebby

Thanks Received:
    guitarfreaknation says thanks.
  2. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I consider overclocking as a hobby. One can say that every hobby is a 'waste' of time & money since one spends time doing something one likes without getting any financial gain.

Also, since I like building/repairing/doing maintenance on pc's as a hobby, those are also a waste of time and money for me.

But well, it's fun! :D

Same as my fishing. To square even I'd have to sell caught fish at €50 per kilogram considering the time and fuel I spend :laugh:

But having fun wins. :toast:

guitarfreaknation says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu

There is so much more to overclocking than what that article says. Show them BFBC2 and the E6850 will bite dust. Show F@H and the E6850 will look like a dinosaur. Show Adobe CS5 and the E6850 will feel extremely slow. Encode your videos and you will see how much overclocking does. Not overclocking when you can is just like paying a prostitute to only touch your balls: Complete utter waste of time and money.

5. Rakesh95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an i7 at 4ghz, i dont encode, i have a gtx275 which is plenty for games. I overclock for the fun of it. Take people who use LN2 on a 980x, im sure they wont need the gain, but its the numbers and pride that matters.

I only overclock for the lols, only rarely does an overclock effect anything i do on my pc

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Apart from the fun of overclocking and benching, I think it's a waste of time and money not to overclock. It's cheaper to buy a 'cheap' cpu and overclock it to the performance of a more expensive cpu.

7. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    You shut that hole in your face. That's like buying a muscle car and installing a speed regulator. More speed/power is always the goal. Plus its just plain fun. You are only allowed to buy DELL's from now on. :wtf:

jwebby and guitarfreaknation say thanks.
  8. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the interesting article. I will overclock anyway because like everyone says, a hobby is a hobby.

:nutkick: :D

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    How could buying a cheaper processor, then overclocking it to the same speed as a higher end model ever be considered a waste of time and money? That's just moronic. It's the exact opposite.

I have a friend who ran his e5200 at 3.6 GHz with a 5850. He had a bug that cut the multiplier putting it down to 1.8 GHz. It cut his crysis frame rate literally in half, and even more so in any situation with AI. Cpu speed definitely matters, even in a gpu limited game like that. This guy needs better testing methods.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. rizla1

Thanks Received:
    i got a x4 955 and i can say overclocking is not a waste higher freqency allows me to max my 260gtx . and in bfbc2 it matters alot even supcom overclocking does help.

11. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The author of that article was probably high on weed when he made the article lol.

12. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking is not a waste, but its effects may be exaggerated, from time to time.

burebista says thanks.
  13. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    If overclocking was a waste, I'd be using my E4300 at 1.8GHz and my RAM at 533MHz. Not only is it obviously faster when overclocked by seeing videos render much, much faster it also feels noticeably faster. I don't need someone else's opinion that overclocking is a waste, I have my own proof that it's not a waste. Yes, overclocking costs more, but that's because you have a more powerful system.

Anyone who says overclocking is a waste doesn't know what they're talking about or aren't doing it right.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It totally depends on what you do. Most users don't need more than a dual core celly, and for them overclocking is a waste imo. If you want the most bang for the buck and you're on a budget it's awesome.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I remember something happened once where I had to clear my CMOS, but I didn't have time to overclock, just to do basic setup. I had forgot that I didn't overclock, and Stalker Call of Pripyat was running laggy. I checked to make sure I had F@H shut down and I did, then I remembered that I didn't have time to overclock, so I set it back to 3.5GHz and Stalker was smooth again. My video card is a constant here, because it's always overclocked; I BIOS flashed it. That, to me, proved that a strong CPU really does matter when it comes to gaming.

Another reason I overclock is because I can get more work done with BOINC with an overclocked system rather than a system at stock. Thirdly, I overclock because I can... it's a performance increase and all it costs is some learning how to do it, maybe a small investment in better cooling (I bought an AC Freezer 64 years ago for $20... still use it to this day), so why not?

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    From skimming the article, the guys point is that the CPU speed had a lot less to do with FPS than the GPU speed.

It's kind of short sighted. I do a lot more with my PC than play games. And I would NEVER be caught running my PC at stock speeds, now way, now how :)

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I actually downclock most of my systems. Because I don't do much else than watch movies (DVD), listen to music and surf the web. I don't need much, as long it's dual core. ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. jwebby

Thanks Received:
    I hope everyone realizes I'm just joking with this thread, I was bored, saw that article and thought... hmm, I think I'll stir up a bee's nest... :D.

IMRO (in my real opinion), the guy that wrote that article is a real stick in the mud, or a cheapskate, or both.

Computers are a big hobby for me, and even though I don't personally don't overclock... more power to those of you that do! :toast:

My E6850 is now where it belongs, in my HTPC where it runs cool and does an excellent job.

If that comment was meant for me, Do you know what Dell would charge for a box like mine (see my system specs)? And it would still suck. :laugh:

19. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    An E6850 is a fine processor though. At 3GHz stock speed it's still probably going to be just as fast or faster than my AII 240 at 3.5GHz. At my processor's 2.8GHz stock speed against the 6850's 3GHz stock speed, there's a vast performance difference.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. twistedspark

twistedspark

Thanks Received:
    Just do what I did. Try the X3 Terran Conflict Benchmark at various CPU levels without changing anything else. It's freeware from EgoSoft. In my system it turns out that the faster I push the CPU the better the benchmark results. The leading contender in the bench results, there's a huge list of people's results over at EOC, has a 5.06 GHz i7 and 2-5870s in XFire. His results trumped someone else's who has 3 5870s in XFire and 4.641 Ghz. This tells me that CPU speed still counts. Even in 4+ Ghz PCs.