• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking and noise abatement

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Do you guys tolerate loud rigs when it comes to overclocking? I was thinking it would be fun to see who has the quiet and the fast rigs by posting a quick video with your rig and CPU at full throttle on a torture test. I will post a video of my 5.0 ghz 9600KF rig which I've finally been able to strike a decent balance between speed and sound. It would be interesting to see some other rigs and get a better perspective on other members setups as well.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
I already have a loud-as-hell GPU so it doesn't really matter.
BTW what voltage are you using to run 9600KF at 5GHz?

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have the video made now I'm in the process of uploading we can talk about details at that point. The v(core) you are going to see me running is high in comparisons to the flagship 9900kf but this is a known fact the 9600kf requires a bit more voltage at 5ghz

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Mine probably isn’t the loudest, but I’m sure it’s up there. When she is wound up on a scale of 1-10 it would probably be a 7. I couldn’t sleep next to it with those iPPC @ 3K.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Well the custom cooling aficionados will come up on top.

Posting a video is meaningless. The loudness of the system depends heavily on the microphone quality, distance, ambient temperature, etc. Moreover, the sound capture profile of a microphone may end up being considerably different than what your ears hear. Plus there's the fact that some frequencies end up being more annoying to some humans than other frequencies for other humans.

It's not just a sound level measurement. There's also the notion of noise variability. A cooling system that frequently changed in peak sound levels may actually be more annoying than a slightly louder system (on average) that stays constant.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 64G G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
Noise? My new favorite 120mm fans are the Delta FFB1212EH-PWM's. 140-150cfm and I'm getting them for $10 each including shipping from China when I buy 4 or more. They've replaced the Silverstone FM121/EverFlow R121225BU's (same fan, different colors and the Everflows are 1/2 the price) that only push a wimpy 110cfm that I've been using for over a decade. I also have a stash of the 252cfm Delta 120 x 38mm beasts that scare my cats and suck far too much power.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro

I already have a loud-as-hell GPU so it doesn't really matter.
BTW what voltage are you using to run 9600KF at 5GHz?
The v core is set to override mode at 1.373 volts and with LLC set on 3 it pushes at exactly same voltage under full CPU load. Mother board PWM frequency is set at 1000kz to minimize ripple and assure very precise voltage control at all times.

Posting a video is meaningless. The loudness of the system depends heavily on the microphone quality, distance, ambient temperature, etc. Moreover, the sound capture profile of a microphone may end up being considerably different than what your ears hear. Plus there's the fact that some frequencies end up being more annoying to some humans than other frequencies for other humans.

It's not just a sound level measurement. There's also the notion of noise variability. A cooling system that frequently changed in peak sound levels may actually be more annoying than a slightly louder system (on average) that stays constant.
So my next challenge will be to set all fans to a static rpm so I don't get any noise accumulation at all. Going to see if I can bring core voltage down as well.

Can seem to get 600rpm across all four fans. Going to test the OC overnight to see if we didn't lose it due to heat soak.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
So my next challenge will be to set all fans to a static rpm so I don't get any noise accumulation at all. Going to see if I can bring core voltage down as well.

Can seem to get 600rpm across all four fans. Going to test the OC overnight to see if we didn't lose it due to heat soak.
Well for most users this is utterly pointless. The system load is variable not constant.

I have a couple of gaming systems; for sure the load varies on what games I run and each game has peaks and troughs in GPU usage. Remember the old meme "But will it play Crysis?" That was before memes were named memes. It points out that Crysis demanded more system resources than Solitaire or Minesweeper.

I also have a productivity desktop system and a notebook PC. Those have an even greater variability in system load. Office applications? Nearly zero load. Handbrake encode? CPU maxxed out. Video conferencing? Having 50 tabs open in a massive resource pig like Google Chrome? Load depends on individual software.

When I use my systems, I'm not running static benchmarks. I'm running a variety of software.

The main takeaway is to spec your cooling system to provide adequate performance for the various activities you perform over the long run.

Sure, my NZXT H1 isn't silent during a Handbrake encode but A.) the noise it makes isn't that bad, and B.) the system runs fast enough where the encode is acceptably quick. Some day I may end up transcode 8K video to 4K and the current components won't be fast enough. But today it is good enough to transcode 4K video to 1080p.

But for sure, setting your system fan(s) to a static speed is unrealistic for the typical PC user's varied tasks. This is like measuring overall fuel economy by driving at a constant 35 mph. That is not a realistic real world usage case. The world has freeways, stop lights, a little old lady in the crosswalk, driveways, spaces in parking lots.

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Most of them, some custom cooling are way louder than AirCooling.

Case Apple proprietary
This is true if you don't use graphics cards.

Remember that modern graphics cards generate WAY more heat than CPUs.

I will reiterate that I don't consider overclocking a primary usage case. I do normal stuff like office productivity, web browsing, e-mailing as well as leisure activity like gaming.

I don't know of a single mainstream GPU that is quieter than the same PCB with an aftermarket custom cooling solution based on a full coverage waterblock. Zero.

I assume that Germans have the same general access to graphics cards as Americans do. Moreover, I actually have German waterblocks on my CPUs and GPUs (I'm using excellent Alphacool units).

Last edited:
Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well for most users this is utterly pointless. The system load is variable not constant.

I have a couple of gaming systems; for sure the load varies on what games I run and each game has peaks and troughs in GPU usage. Remember the old meme "But will it play Crysis?" That was before memes were named memes. It points out that Crysis demanded more system resources than Solitaire or Minesweeper.

I also have a productivity desktop system and a notebook PC. Those have an even greater variability in system load. Office applications? Nearly zero load. Handbrake encode? CPU maxxed out. Video conferencing? Having 50 tabs open in a massive resource pig like Google Chrome? Load depends on individual software.

When I use my systems, I'm not running static benchmarks. I'm running a variety of software.

The main takeaway is to spec your cooling system to provide adequate performance for the various activities you perform over the long run.

Sure, my NZXT H1 isn't silent during a Handbrake encode but A.) the noise it makes isn't that bad, and B.) the system runs fast enough where the encode is acceptably quick. Some day I may end up transcode 8K video to 4K and the current components won't be fast enough. But today it is good enough to transcode 4K video to 1080p.

But for sure, setting your system fan(s) to a static speed is unrealistic for the typical PC user's varied tasks. This is like measuring overall fuel economy by driving at a constant 35 mph. That is not a realistic real world usage case. The world has freeways, stop lights, a little old lady in the crosswalk, driveways, spaces in parking lots.
All good points on the real world unknown workload coming at you fast with lots of power demand. But that is sort of my goal with this machine. Essentially what I am aiming for is to build a system that can run all *most* desktop jobs including gaming with the fans more or less between 6 and 700 rpm.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I have my radiator fans tuned to water temperature for years now, since water temp rise slowly, so do fan speed ramp up.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
In other words, build a loop with so much overhead I don't need to push the fans above idle speeds.

Case Apple proprietary
All good points on the real world unknown workload coming at you fast with lots of power demand. But that is sort of my goal with this machine. Essentially what I am aiming for is to build a system that can run all *most* desktop jobs including gaming with the fans more or less between 6 and 700 rpm.
I have a solved scenario for my builds.

The GPU generates the most heat so that is my primary focus. On my primary gaming rig, I have a 360mm Alphacool radiator cooled by three Noctua NF-F12 fans. If I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark with the standard ASUS overclock, the RTX 3080 tops out at 56 degrees Celsius. The fan speed is about 1150 rpm at full bore.

At idle, the fans are running around 580 rpm and I'm not trying to drain every last rpm out of them. During normal desktop usage, they probably run around 800 rpm.

With a large enough PC chassis, you might be able to stick a bunch of oversized radiators in them to soak up all of the heat your components generate. Or maybe you should just run them as an open bench.

I wish you had clearly stated your intentions early. It would have saved me a lot of time typing.

I hereby bow out of further discussion in this thread.

Best of luck to all.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
This might be chall up h

The GPU generates the most heat so that is my primary focus. On my primary gaming rig, I have a 360mm Alphacool radiator cooled by three Noctua NF-F12 fans. If I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark with the standard ASUS overclock, the RTX 3080 tops out at 56 degrees Celsius. The fan speed is about 1150 rpm at full bore.

At idle, the fans are running around 580 rpm and I'm not trying to drain every last rpm out of them. During normal desktop usage, they probably run around 800 rpm.

With a large enough PC chassis, you might be able to stick a bunch of oversized radiators in them to soak up all of the heat your components generate. Or maybe you should just run them as an open bench.

I wish you had clearly stated your intentions early. It would have saved me a lot of time typing.

Best of luck to all.
I'm sorry? Where did things go wrong? I was interested in your insight never once rejected your advice. My best analogy would be to say for example putting a big rig radiator in a small sports sedan so the fan itself never has come off the idle stop no matter what traffic conditions it faces. Remember I'm just tinkering here no big deal.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Essentially what I am aiming for is to build a system that can run all *most* desktop jobs including gaming with the fans more or less between 6 and 700 rpm.
Sure you can achieve that but my question is: what about summer when you have a 30c room temp, will your fans be that efficient at 600/700Rpm?

Last edited:
Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro

Best of luck to all.
I'm sorry? Where did things go wrong? I was interested in your insight never once rejected your advice. My best analogy would be to say for example putting a big rig radiator in a small sports sedan so the fan itself never has come off the idle stop no matter what traffic conditions it faces. Remember I'm just tinkering here no big deal
Sure you can achieve that but my question is: what about summer when you have a 30c room temp, will your fans be that efficient at 600/700Rpm?
Right, environment changes will effect loop performance I'm just playing around here having fun testing the limits of my loop.

I love when
Noise? My new favorite 120mm fans are the Delta FFB1212EH-PWM's. 140-150cfm and I'm getting them for $10 each including shipping from China when I buy 4 or more. They've replaced the Silverstone FM121/EverFlow R121225BU's (same fan, different colors and the Everflows are 1/2 the price) that only push a wimpy 110cfm that I've been using for over a decade. I also have a stash of the 252cfm Delta 120 x 38mm beasts that scare my cats and suck far too much power.
I too have a decent PWM 120mm fan. It's the noctua nf XXX or something. It goes to 3000 rpm which I really really love if I am in the mood for noise. That's the fan on the alphacool 120 rad..

Best of luck to all.
This people is what we call a thread snob. If that's the way you want it: don't let the door hit you on the way out. Ps I validated this chip at 5.6ghz on this tightly packed cluster of power.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Right, environment changes will effect loop performance I'm just playing around here having fun testing the limits of my loop.
Yesterday with a room temp of 29c i tested the fans at 800rpm ( inaudible ) played 3 hours of COD CW and the result was water temp 39c, GPU temp 51c and CPU max temp 78c in 1 core, average CPU temp was 50c/56c, i put my hand in the back of the PC where the 2x rear exhaust fans are and the heat that was coming out was kinda hot.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
What do you guys think about the concept of running two pumps? Will this improve flow rates?

I know some people knock this case but keep in mind it's the only thing I have left, so I am stuck with it for now. That means it's the only thing I can tinker with. That means the only content I can deliver is on that.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
What do you guys think about the concept of running two pumps? Will this improve flow rates?

I know some people knock this case but keep in mind it's the only thing I have left, so I am stuck with it for now. That means it's the only thing I can tinker with. That means the only content I can deliver is on that.
It can/will depending your actual flow rate.
Sometimes adding another pump it's just wasting money chasing diminishing returns.

Exclusive for you :laugh:
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/5qxotg

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Guys I had to dial down to 4.5Ghz more results on that later. I also added a 500 watt halogen work light to make this even more challenging. Stay tuned! Going to see if I can run all my fans at 0 rpm and overclock the pump itself for better performance.

Correction: OVERVOLT the pump not overclock it. That would just be silly!

finally found my second 75 hz gaming monitor. just missing the HDMI cable at this point. And check it ouut! avril is looking pretty hot if you ask me. especially since I'll have two of her once I get my second monitor up and running. (two Avrils at once) damn, that would be like dying and going to heaven.

1627045895197.png

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
normally yes.
but in these days absolutely not.

when we talk about overclocking a modern CPU or GPU, you increase your powerconsumption by 50% to gain 2-4% at best. we are not in the late 2000s anymore where a q6600 overclocks from 2.4 Ghz to like 3.7-4.0 Ghz. we talk about (at best) single core boost on all cores as the absolute limit.

i'd rather undervolt

Last edited:
Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
normally yes.
but in these days absolutely not.

when we talk about overclocking a modern CPU or GPU, you increase your powerconsumption by 50% to gain 2-4% at best.

i'd rather undervolt
There is some wisdom here people.

Well damn. That escalated quickly.

1627067712135.png

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 64G G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229