• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking evga 680i-E6400 conroe- evga geforce 8800 gts 320

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
REVISING::: 4-04-2007.. in the works now but has plenty of info to get the job done.. quirks with this Mobo will have me updating this frequently until I am sure it's all stable.

WARNING!!!! I highly recommend not using or installing Ntune on your computer with this set up.. I highly recommend deleting it completely from your registry and any hidden exe files as well.. It caused me major instability issues and conflicts for some reason over and over.. also the Ntune temperature monitor is completely incorrect and worthless, using it will make you think your at 50c when your at 60-70c and if you edit your cpu/gpu in ntune, you will crash for it eventualy. Look around if you don't believe me. Ntune is causing nothing but conflicts. Do not use it for anything what so ever at all.. not even a fan speed. you can do that in bios for the cpu and in Riva tuner for the gpu.

NOTES: It has come to my attention that the multipliers in bios are incorrect in this set up.. Just use the final numbers that it says you will be at and you will be fine. You really want to shoot for 800 memory in this, for some reason it immediately improves memory stability. the way to get 800 and be at a compatible cpu frequency are these two I know.. one for a safe oc and one for a high oc.. ( or you can say forget the memory and shoot for the high core) the frames care about the core way more than the memory.. The core modification will always give you more frames than the memory or timings.

For setting up this oc I recommend after insane amounts of trials and tribulations these overclocking tools and monitoring utilities.. (( Intel TaT tool )) for Cpu temp monitoring of dual cores (and stress testing if you preferr) (( Memtest )), running 2 simutaneously if you have more than 1 gb ram at 100%++ work load
( about 900 mb each test), for at least 100% completion, before considering it remotely stable (it's a standard stress test ) .. "WARNING!!!! if your playing with intel tat tool, Not paying attention to the torture test will leave you with a fried cpu, it is viscious!!" ( it's also overkill, just use the standard test at about 75% if you want to use it )....Ok, also download (( Ati-Tool )) for general stability testing on the overclock of your video card. Download Riva tuner for controlling the Gpu fan speed and the actual overclocking of your video card... aaaaand last but definitely not least, download (( 3-D mark 06 )) for the finale..

3-D mark is a good test to see if your computer can handle high end graphics and just in general nice to watch, also a nice well earned bonus from all the hard oc work you will be doing :D ...

if you crash in it after being stable in memtest and everything then odds are it's your gpu you need to tweak.. if the system just locks up, odds are it's the gpu core, if you see visual defects then it locks up, then odds are it's the memory for the Gpu... if it reboots, odds are it's the cpu frequencies, timings, temperature, or voltages. if it's beeps more than once booting, it's your timings most likely.. if it beeps a whole bunch ( like a bunch a bunch lol), odds are you went way out of the timing parameters lol..
( especially in regards to the pcie frequencies in bios ) and spp-mcp frequency... Mine are at (150 mhz for all 3) and (250 mhz) for the mcp spp. (( changing that back to defaults most likely)) "both settings will effect stability"

"you only need the channel your video card is in actually set to 100-150 if you even want to use this frequency, personally after using it for a while I don't think I'm going to recommend using it at all."

so total downloads are: Intel Tat tool, Memtest, Ati-Tool, Riva tuner and 3-d Mark 06.. and here you go for the lazy ones who don't like to look around for them like me..lol..

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/Intel_Thermal_Analysis_Tool.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/436/ATITool_0.26.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/430/Futuremark_3DMark06_(Build_1.1.0).html

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/256/Memtest86_3.2_CD-ISO.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/11/RivaTuner_2.0_RC_15.8.html

HERE ARE SOME OVERCLOCK SECIFICATIONS YOU CAN USE FOR A BASIS

(((( Do all cpu editing in bios and all Gpu editing in Riva tuner. ))))

( Safe oc ) set multiplier to 7 and change cpu to 2.8 ghz.. ( Linked ) and ( sync ) 800 ddr will automatically come into the fsb.. everytime I hit 800 I see the performace increase, maybe not in 3-d mark but in the system definitely. timings only helped me with system and internet applications. so Loosening timings in favor of an easier oc is fine if your making this a sole gaming rig and don't care about your speeds online.. idk about Lan, but I assume it'll be the same thing. (cpu core at about 1.4v)

( High oc ) You better have sufficient cooling to get to this or you will fry like a piggy...
set muliplier to 8.. fsb to 1600 ( Linked ) and ( Sync ).. of course they both vary in voltage and so forth.. I'll be posting my newest oc specs later.. I'm up to 3.2 ghz safe and stable now. with 800 ddr 4-4-4-12. (about 1.5625v on the cpu core for that ) (( 1.5825 is the higest safe voltage for this processor )).. (( Watch your temperatures )) above 60c is unnaceptable for safe ranges.. up to a max spike of 65c after hours of testing is tolerable. If you spike 66c ever.. your to high and simply need to get better cooling.. if you go above 60c you can run it for now, but order new cooling while you do and replace it asap. ( also this Mobo runs things way to hot and requires way to much voltage to get the job done, I may very well RMA it and get an asus, even a p5b would be better I bet.)

Ok, after working with this set up for about a month now I have come to the conclusion that it is very picky..lol.. It's rough to pass memtests with it for some reason even in situations where it would seem I should pass. There are known issues with this mobo that you should look into before oc'n. also if you buy this and it comes with an installation CD, the cd is old.. the drivers are all old as well.. go to nvidia and download the new drivers there.. Updating your bios is optional seeing as even if you do it won't really change much lol..

(( ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO READ THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY READ EVERYTHING BELOW ))

BELOW IS A STABLE 3 GHZ OC WITH ALL THE IMPORTANT OVERCLOCKING STEPS I TOOK TO GET THERE

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Revised section information}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

[ 4-4-2007 ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER THE BIOS FOR THIS MOBO IS INCORRECT,JUST RELY ON THE FINAL NUMBERS,NOT DDR'S AND QDR'S

This is it!!!!! I have spent weeks figuring out this system and it's little perks and as you see below it was worth it.. Here is my guide to overclocking for you, a thanx for all the help over the past month that brought me from computer clod to computer.. well idk, but im not a clod anymore..lol..I will post an actual screen of my 3d mark 06 score soon so you know it's not bogus.. I could of pushed the cpu harder but the gpu is pretty much at it's limit..

1st off this video card does not like it when you mess with the memory lol. but you can get some out of it none the less.. i went from stock to 920 on the memory and on the core I got up to 660..
the core is the biggest deal when it comes to fps.. the memory will pretty much do nothing for you in regards to fps.. the timing you set in latencies etc will have virtually no effect on your fps in 3d mark 06 either.. but your cpu core speed will..

just keep in mind the difference between 3.0 and 3.3 that i went up to had virtually no difference and so i backstepped to 3.0 ghz for safer temps. now steady at around 55-60c..

(( after mounting a 120mm fan to my cpu fan, blowing onto the cpu's heatsink fan, I can run 3.2 ghz safely ))

I tested this for over 2 hours and over 200% completion in memtest running 2 tests simutaneously at 900 mb.. max i hit was 63c and it was only like a fluke.. i have 2 120mm fans and 2 80 mm fans with the standard vent on my psu as well.. i reversed my side 120 mm exhaust fan and mounted it directly on the Cpu's coling fan, pointing at it.. it is very worth while (( dropped me about 5c immediately at full load ))... I leave my side case off. just keeps it cooler and your going to need all the cooling you can get with this gpu.

my voltages are 1.45 on the cpu and 2 on the memory which is likely unnecessary for the memory but it makes me feel more secure..lol.. I'll likely back it down to 1.9 on the memory.

my timings are 4-4-4-12 which made no difference in frame rates at all.. i promise.. i went from 6-6-6-31 to 4-4-4-12 in steps like a baby then backstepped and reverified these numbers several times for hours on end..

my memory on my cpu is at 751 ( dont ask , I don't know) lol.. it says 751 (375.5 if you want to be technical but my mobo reads 751 in bios,) so thats what it is..lol..

my core is 1502 (ddr) so 3004 =3 ghz..

if i can be of any help let me know.. i spent alot of time on this so please enjoy :D...

oh also, if your having issues oc'n this cpu just set everything to auto except the core voltage and maybe the memory voltage (odds are you won't need to do the memory, typically best to just auto it).. manually adjust those.. then set the fsb and core to "linked" and "sync" to help you find a good base.. move in small steps 20 or so points and reboot.. it will automatically adjust all settings including timings and voltage for you to meet requirements to boot safely.. if it doesnt boot good and run stable then odds are 99% that your voltages are to low.. but it could be your fsb or core are to high as well, (sometimes loosening timings can help this "with the memory in particular").. but using this as a guidline should help alot.. happy hunting all.. best of luck to you..

PS: thank you all for all of your help in getting me this awsome 3d mark 06 score.. Before I came to this forum I didn't know what fsb was lol.. (front side bus) hell I didn't know they referred to pc's as "rigs" lol.. now i can build a complete pc from parts reformat hd's install and fix the o's from fatal crashes, set up raids and overclock anything it throws at me.. seriously you guys rok.. ok, and i rok too.. lol.. :toast: cheers mates..

Last edited:
System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks
Very comprehensive D007 ;)

When you gonna post your 3dmark06 scores :laugh:

KATANAUK

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB Cache
Motherboard Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI Socket 775 Core 2 Duo P965 FSB1066 DDR2 SATA Audio ATX
Cooling Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 CPU Cooler
Memory Kingston 2GB KIT (2X1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 CL5 Non Ecc 1.8V
Video Card(s) XFX 7800GT 256MB DDR3 Dual DVI VIVO PCI-E
Storage SATA MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX PLUS 9 160GB
Display(s) SAMSUNG SyncMaster 913N 19"
Case NO CASE
Audio Device(s) ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin
Software Windows XP Custom Build (NLITE)
Very nice TUT m8 , ty for sharing.. I have the E4300 managed to get to 3060.0 but ive bottled it now lol gone back to 3000.0 :)

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Very comprehensive D007 ;)

When you gonna post your 3dmark06 scores :laugh:

actually i just downloaded cpu-z and i will take it in just a few minutes :D.. i was up to 10394 last time.. i want 10400 lol.. hey Al I figured out why the bios was tripping me out.. I guess im just not use to the multipliers yet.. the numbers i see are the final number.. but halved and quartered are the actual rates... 800 ddr is 400..... 3100 fsb is 775.. it's just that i dont actually write in 400 or 775... i just write in 1552 for the fsb and it (ddr's) it visually giving me 3100 fsb... then in memory i write in 800.. and it says 800..lol..but it means 400 @ ddr=800..

i would think id write in 775 and it would visually multiply it to 3100 fsb.. but thats not that case..lol.. i write 1552..

I would think i'd write 400 in the memory but thats not the case lol.. i write in 800, and it stays 800.. idk... lol..

but I wanted to ask you something.. would rasing my memory and dropping my core give me more FPS? would better timings give me better fps than having a high core? I've never been that great with timings but from what I've seen timings haven't helped me one bit... I tried everything from 6-6-6-31 to 4-4-4-12 ina ll kinds of variances.. 4-5-6-22 etc..lol.. 6-7-4-18.. you name it i tried it..lol.. Nothing gave me any more fps that i saw. although in some cases I got less lol.. ( due to system instability I'm sure on crazy timings lol.)

Thanks again Al.. as soon as i figure out the answer to those questions I will resituate based on the outcome and redo 3d mark 06 and post my score.. :D..

been up all night tweaking settings lol.. i went back to 3.1 ghz stable at 1.5125 volts runs about 60c usually lower even under max stress in mem test.

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Very nice TUT m8 , ty for sharing.. I have the E4300 managed to get to 3060.0 but ive bottled it now lol gone back to 3000.0 :)

Thank ya man .. took a hell of a time getting it there..lol.. ya know, i wonder if having 2 more 1 gig memory would be better for my fps or would it raise latency too much.. hmmm... well i hope my trial and error help some people out :D

System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks
actually i just downloaded cpu-z and i will take it in just a few minutes :D.. i was up to 10394 last time.. i want 10400 lol.. hey Al I figured out why the bios was tripping me out.. I guess im just not use to the multipliers yet.. the numbers i see are the final number.. but halved and quartered are the actual rates... 800 ddr is 400..... 3100 fsb is 775.. it's just that i dont actually write in 400 or 775... i just write in 1552 for the fsb and it (ddr's) it visually giving me 3100 fsb... then in memory i write in 800.. and it says 800..lol..but it means 400 @ ddr=800..

i would think id write in 775 and it would visually multiply it to 3100 fsb.. but thats not that case..lol.. i write 1552..

I would think i'd write 400 in the memory but thats not the case lol.. i write in 800, and it stays 800.. idk... lol..

but I wanted to ask you something.. would rasing my memory and dropping my core give me more FPS? would better timings give me better fps than having a high core?

Thanks again Al.. as soon as i figure out the answer to those questions I will resituate based on the outcome and redo 3d mark 06 and post my score.. :D..

been up all night tweaking settings lol.. i went back to 3.1 ghz stable at 1.5125 volts runs about 60c usually lower even under max stress in mem test.

Numbers, numbers, numbers lol

Im not sure where your getting 3100FSB from, thats impossible with todays technology!

The CPU and the FSB always run together, thats just the way it is, if your cpu is @ 2.8Ghz with a multi of 7 your going to have a 400FSB ;) Which will be quad pumped to 1600FSB

Now if your ram was running 1:1 with your FSB (which is the best performance imo) it would be running @ 400Mhz or DDR 800, which is what it is rated to do @ 4-4-4-12!

Your bios sounds like a right mission to setup correctly :banghead: :laugh:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
If you wanna test your temps on the graphics card whilst stressing it have you tried ATi tool? It may not support the 8800 (not sure on that one) but it should still read the temps, you can then run the 3D cube which is VERY graphically stressful to check temps within ATi tool whilst you are doing it.

System Name HAL
I am revising this whole article today.. I have made some very signifigant finds about this Mobo that should be taken into consideration.. also my latest OC is up to 3.2 ghz Cpu, stable in memtest for hours at a steady 59-60c with only air cooling.. But your air flow had better be super strong or you'll overheat. Mounted a 120mm fan directly on the cpu heatsink fan blowing on it then ran 2 80's straight through the center of the system to push air along the center and out the back through another 120mm fan. I decided to get more specific with the walkthrough as well, seeing as this mobo is so dam picky.. Soon as I'm stable and capped at my max I'll get my 3d mark score and post it :D.
and I will be upgrading my cooling solution because air simply does not cut it..

I bought 3d mark 06..lol.. I wanted to see the other tests.. hehe. I gotta tell ya, it's a very nice bonus after so much hard work to sit back and enjoy watching it for a bit. :D

Last edited: