1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking my 64bit 3000+

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Death-lok, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone ....

well im having this problem (never had before) ...when i OC cpu it either gives a machine checksum error (blue screen) or it freezes while im playing games and gives a really loud squealing noise through my headphones (ouch).... im only Oc'ing a fraction ..its 1.8 standard ....no matter what i Oc too it does this ....even using the A.I. overclock tool that came with mobo ...... or manually Ocing it does it too

heres my specs..... athlon 64bit 3000+ winchester core (yes bad one i know)
    asus a8n-sli deluxe
    2- 6600gt 128mb
    550 genric powersupply
    1 gig dual channel pc3200 ddr400
    voltage set at 1.425
    all drivers are current that i know off
    multipiler set at 9.0x ,,,(highest it will go)

anyone ideas on what the problem might be ?
    cuz im lost and confused.....

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. nikuman New Member

Thanks Received:
    First, asus motherboards are poor overclockers.

Second, I'm not sure on your powersupply. OK, it's 550W but is it of good quality? Does it have any brand names?

If you are overclocking the CPU you should also overclock the RAM, if you can. Usually when you overclock and the system crashes, it means that you overclocked too much. Try boosting the voltage and maybe lowering the multiplyer. Don't jump too much--when you overclock you have to go slowly and make sure each attempt still runs the system stably.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    I just got an A8N SLI D and a 3000+ Venice. Its got an x800xl and a 480w tagan...

I can get from 1.8 to around 2.55 and 2.4 stable (2.55 gets too hot). I've got an XP-90 but a crappy fan getting a bigger and better one soon. Ive not messed with any voltages yet either.

Make sure the temperatures arent getting too high (<55 or even less if you can manage it, with LOAD!) and maybe take out a 6600. Your generic PSU might just be a poor one :( . Also, dont manually set teh voltage at first, just leave it on auto in the BIOS.

Also, set the memory timings to manual and set it to DDR-266 or something (so you'll get back to 400 around 2.8). This will eliminate the ram from the equation.

I'm pretty happy with my 2.4 overclock as I've only spent like 20 mins trying so far... yor winchester isnt quite as good (in general) but it should still manage 2.3 I would think.

If you wanna consider selling it on ebay and getting a venice, though, now's a good time... save for an XP-90(c) too i can recommend them..

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i agree with ya but ive tried overclocking at different volts and multipliers ...still getting errors ...
    when i try to overclock it usually small incriments ..... it works fine for windows but when try to game it crashes...like i went 1.8 to 1.875 ....it crashed ..... it shouldnt of crashed at the low of an OC speed but it does ....no matter what i try it crashes ... powersupply is only genric came with case my wife got me ....lol (shes trying to help) .....

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. nikuman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you run games at stock settings?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol im retarded didnt even think of adjusting the memory timmings manually ...... i going to try that and see what happens
    thx

saving money for FX series processor .....lol and possibly different mobo

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i can play games with stock settings .... no problems

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok this is strange ...try to overclock.... while trying to find a stable OC .....it boots but windows wont load and i get a blue screen .....come to find out im underclocking it ... and it keeps giving me a bluescreen ... even set memory timings to 200-266mhz and still get this error .....strange ...lol im so confused

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    if you have changed bios settings or flashed (well, flashed!) do a cmos reset to defaults then try this. It is possible that setting the memory to manual changed the tiings to something too low (bit unlikely tbh).

Unfortunately its also possible that you pushed a voltage too high and hurt something :/ If you only change FSB you should be covered under warranty...

Try the reset first, also unplug from wall and take out the battery for 5 mins, and hold power button for a few seconds (with psu off, just before unplug), this combination + cmos reset jumper should reset everything to defaults.

Let us know if you changed bios settings and or voltages in your efforts. I had this happen a couple of times with K7N nforce boards it was dodgy parts but this board should be ok.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Death-lok New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol ya i thought the same thing ...i did a complete bios reset (removed battery) and its seems to be stable now ....but to answer ur ? ...no i didnt mess with the voltage settings ...but i did OC by FSB ...so therefore yes it is under warranty ....

thanx for all the helps guys

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Ok good to know, good luck. You should be fine to 2.4 with 266 mem settings etc . Let us know :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. thumper New Member

Thanks Received:
    The winchesters arnt too bad on stock voltage on a very hot day I hit 10*250 on a 3500+ and its still got romm to play if I wanted to tweek further

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. gR3iF

gR3iF

Thanks Received:
    i think my venice i n1 too on air cooling

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    venice low voltage overclock

Hi there every1,

I've just got a venice 1.8ghz 3000+ with an abit a8n sli d.. just having a play around.

In the attachment i've got it running at 1.175v vcore @ 2250 mhz. It's fully prime stable. I started benching at stock 1.4 and i've been pulling back vcore trying to get errors. None yet lol - it'd go lower.

If you're wondering why, this is a processor conditioning technique i read about somewhere (for XPs) which can increase max overclock later. Also its a nice burn in.

with an xp-90 and some crappy fan i'm getting about 34 idle 44 load (1.4) and 39 load at this voltage. measurements taken at 2.25 ghz like now.

This is one fun processor to oc or maybe for HT / small rigs :p

Dont really wanna crash it now (remote desktop 4tw) but i might see how low it goes and let you all know tomorrow !!!

laters, n

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU