• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking my Sapphire RADEON 955 via flashing - which options to choose?

william wallace

Overclocking my Sapphire RADEON 9550 via flashing - which options to choose?

Hi

UPDATE! I would like some response to my thread below this but first, I have just installed my "brand new" Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Card and immediately went to Device Manager to see what devices were shown for the card and, once again, there are two devices listed for the same card and BOTH devices are working properly.

Radeon 9550
Radeon 9550 Secondary

Open question: Why am I seeing two devices in Device Manager for the same card???

Q1: As this is my second card in two days, and both cards have shown two devices in Device Manager for the same card, can someone please confirm if, after installing this card (and before overclocking it), it is normal to have two devices listed for the same card.

Q2: If the answer is yes it is normal, then can you explain why this is happening please?

Point of interest: Another user in the forum suggested that for ATI cards with the "s-video" connector on the card, you would see two devices listed in Device Manager but my previous Connect3d 256MB Radeon 9200 series AGP card with an "s-video" connector only shows one device for the card and in my opinion, this is how it should be.

Original thread below:

I know this is not exactly a new thread (see my last thread, "Problems overclocking Sapphire 9550 AGP Card"), but I have reflashed that card to the original 9550 BIOS and returned it for a "new 9550" card and this time, I want to get it right first time.

Ok, I'm overclocking my "NEW" Sapphire RADEON 9550 256MB AGP Card to a RADEON 9600Pro 256MB card using the appropriate BIOS from the BIOS download site, to flash the BIOS. When I find my chosen 9600Pro BIOS and click on "Advanced" and under "BIOS Options", you have:

BIOS options:

* Download original unmodified BIOS
* Download BIOS modified to the values above

Q1: Which option is best to choose? In my opinion, choosing either of the above will give me the improved Core Clock of: 400.00 MHz and the improved Memory Clock of: 227.50 MHz, so what's the difference between the choosing the "original unmodified BIOS" and the "BIOS modified to the values above"? I.e. Surely I still get the 9600Pro Core clock of 400.00 MHz and Memory Clock of 227.50 MHz.

Q2: If I ignore the "Advanced" option and I just choose the "Download" option from the BIOS page, do I get the "original unmodified BIOS?

Q3: Also, with reference to the "TV Type", it is shown as NTSC but we can change it to whatever we like and as I live in the UK, should I change it to "PAL", or does it make no difference what I leave it at?

Regards

Dave

Last edited:

JaS

try opening the bios (with a proggy called RaBit - google for it ) you flashed your 9550 up with and uncheck the aiw or vivo feature in the bios then save it and reflash your card.... the secondary display will be gone then

as for the 2 displays i always have 2 displays showing when i have an ati card with video out

turbopsi

As I said before, there is no reason to take the secondary display out. It is normal, it isn't hurting anything so why don't you just leave it be?

If you take s-video, or anything else out of the bios, what good will that do? None..

JaS

it will get the second display out of there and then he will be happy.Thats what good it will do ;)