1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking the i5-4690k Poor Results

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by T9, Aug 6, 2014.

1. T9 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone -

Just wanted to post some overclocking results and get some feedback. I recently upgraded to an MSI gaming 5 Z97 mobo with a 4690k. From what I read, reviewers with a retail chip were able to hit about 4.8 GHz at 1.3 volts. My chip absolutely refuses to run at 4.8 even at 1.4 volts. I really only found a stable overclock at 4.6 GHz and 1.33 volts.

Did I just get a crappy chip? Why do I need to go so much higher on the v-core than others? Any suggestions?

Also temps are definitely not the issue - I have a CM glacier 240L which keeps the chip under 65-70c at full load.

Thanks

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    what is your input voltage set too. I've seen many times people forgot about that option and system is never stable till they increase. You can increase vcore all you want but you also need to increase input voltage with it.

3. T9 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't realize that thanks. Is the input voltage also known as VCCIN? Right now its set to 1.9v which is the default I believe. What do you recommend for this?