• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OWC Unveils the Mercury Helios 2 PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis

Other World Computing (OWC), a leading zero emissions Mac upgrade and storage technology company debuted the addition of the OWC Mercury Helios 2 PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis to its Helios line at CES 2014. The Helios 2 is a solution for using two single-width, or one single-width and one double-width, PCIe 2.0 adapter cards with Mac Pro (2013), Mac mini, iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and other Thunderbolt-equipped computers that do not have PCIe slots due to size and/or design limitations.

More Users Can Now Tap Into Power of PCIe and Thunderbolt
Desktop workstations used to be the only way computer users could access high-performance PCIe cards made for video capture/editing, media transcoding, audio processing, and data storage. Now, with Mercury Helios or Helios 2, users of portable, all-in-one computers, and the new Thunderbolt 2 equipped Mac Pro 2013 can enjoy the functionality and productivity gains of these PCIe cards wherever their work takes them.

The original Mercury Helios is fast and flexible with throughput up to 10 Gb/s, while the Helios 2 handles throughputs of up to 20 Gb/s, and is the perfect solution to massively boost workflow productivity. Both are bootable with AHCI compliant cards and can daisy-chain up to six devices.

Helios 2 Key Features:
  • Two Thunderbolt Ports
  • Expansions slots: (2) PCIe 2.0 x 8 (x4) mode
  • Up to 20 Gb/s data transfer
  • Daisy-chain up to six devices
  • OWC One-Year warranty

The OWC Mercury Helios 2 PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis will be available soon for $479.99. For more details, visit: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/PCIe_Chassis/Mercury_Helios/Helios2.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Wah? PCIE x8 in x4 mode? Why bother making it x8 at all?
For $480 I'd expect it to come with a goddamn GPU ASWELL!

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Modern Mac users...the only sort of folk who would over spend by $1k for a computer raving about how small and attractive it is, then turn around and buy one of these because they can't do anything with it.

Sigh...I can't believe over a decade ago I was one of them...

Gabriele1111

Modern Mac users...the only sort of folk who would over spend by $1k for a computer raving about how small and attractive it is, then turn around and buy one of these because they can't do anything with it.

Sigh...I can't believe over a decade ago I was one of them...
They are also the only sort of folks who can attach basically any PCI-e card to their laptops...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
They are also the only sort of folks who can attach basically any PCI-e card to their laptops...

You think thunderbolt attached GPU acceleration is only available for macs?

Oh dear...
Maybe you should Google more.

Gabriele1111

You think thunderbolt attached GPU acceleration is only available for macs?

Oh dear...
Maybe you should Google more.
Or maybe you should try to find a Non-Apple Thunderbolt Laptop... Good luck with that! less than 1% are

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
It took me less time to go to a price comparison website and I found more of them, but they are, as I wrote, less than 1%, and very rare in every store... Apple is pushing towards Thunderbolt, no one else cares about It.

Who needs a weak ass laptop with a low power CPU to start pushing GPU accelerated tasks for $480 (+ GPU cost) may I ask? Thunderbolt is for Apple displays, for every other user in the world, we use DVI and HDMI, and for transferring things, there's this amazing thing called a Universal standard, like USB and Ethernet. Apple are pushing thunderbolt, because that's what they do - maintain a closed platform. They don't want their users mingling in with other devices, and thunderbolt is there to ensure that.

Gabriele1111

Who needs a weak ass laptop with a low power CPU to start pushing GPU accelerated tasks for $480 (+ GPU cost) may I ask? Thunderbolt is for Apple displays, for every other user in the world, we use DVI and HDMI, and for transferring things, there's this amazing thing called a Universal standard, like USB and Ethernet. Apple are pushing thunderbolt, because that's what they do - maintain a closed platform. They don't want their users mingling in with other devices, and thunderbolt is there to ensure that.
Do you think Helios or Thunderbolt are only for external GPU? are you joking? I think YOU should Google more... http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/Thunderbolt/PCIe_Compatibility/
Thunderbolt is an Intel platform, non Apple, and has technical capabilities far beyond USB, HDMI and Ethernet.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Do you think Helios or Thunderbolt are only for external GPU? are you joking? I think YOU should Google more... http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/Thunderbolt/PCIe_Compatibility/
Thunderbolt is an Intel platform, non Apple, and has technical capabilities far beyond USB, HDMI and Ethernet.

Sorry. Should've known that macbook pro users need to spend $480 on a thunderbolt box so they can put a network adapter in it. Silly me.
Thunderbolt is so amazing everyone is adopting it because of it's capabilities beyond that of every other standard cable.

Gabriele1111

Sorry. Should've known that macbook pro users need to spend $480 on a thunderbolt box so they can put a network adapter in it. Silly me.
Thunderbolt is so amazing everyone is adopting it because of it's capabilities beyond that of every other standard cable.
Yes silly you :) Pro Audio, Raid, 10GbE, video capture/processing, fibre channel... ring any bell? someone use PC for work, you know.
PS: The list I linked is for OS X, a lot more cards are compatible with Windows, and every windows driver is "Thunderbolt aware"

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Yes silly you :) Pro Audio, Raid, 10GbE, video capture/processing, fibre channel... ring any bell? someone use PC for work, you know.
PS: The list I linked is for OS X, a lot more cards are compatible with Windows, and every windows driver is "Thunderbolt aware"

Great bait mate. 8/8

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I wouldn't mind being able to get a couple ethernet ports and a video card that could output to 3 monitors off my Macbook Air. It's a steep price, but it might be reasonable if it had a couple ethernet ports and USB 3.0 ports built-in that didn't take space away from the PCI-E cards.