• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

P4 oc with Gigabyte EasyTune4 advice needed :)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Hi,
Does anyone know if its safe to overclock my P4 using the EasyTune4 program supplied with my Gigabyte MB?

N

nightelf84

Hi,

I would suggest you OC in the BIOS and use EasyTune4 as a monitoring utility.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
Hi,

I would suggest you OC in the BIOS and use EasyTune4 as a monitoring utility.

Im not very confident in messing with the bios (as this is the first PC Ive built) would EasyTune4 be ok to oc it just to 3.4GHz ??

N

nightelf84

As far as raising the FSB is concerned, ET4 can do that no problem. I'm not sure if its possible to raise any of the voltages as functionality differs from mobo to mobo. If you can get to 3.4GHz without any instability, then using ET4 is no problem :)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
As far as raising the FSB is concerned, ET4 can do that no problem. I'm not sure if its possible to raise any of the voltages as functionality differs from mobo to mobo. If you can get to 3.4GHz without any instability, then using ET4 is no problem :)

Thanks for the advice m8 :D Im currently using Arctic Silver 5 and the retail fan/heatsink that was supplied with my CPU, do you think this will be ok as Im not oc too much?

N

nightelf84

Stock heatsinks usually can only handle stock speeds. Even if you don't raise vcore, raising FSB by itself will generate more heat.

To some, temperatures don't really matter if their rig runs rock solid stable under heavy loads. Others want to keep their CPU temps at or below 60 under load. Less heat = longer life

When you OC ur CPU and if it runs above 60 under heavy load, you might want to consider better CPU cooling. If its stable and your comfortable with the high temps, then stock cooling might still be ok... For me, as soon as you start OC, you need better cooling.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
Stock heatsinks usually can only handle stock speeds. Even if you don't raise vcore, raising FSB by itself will generate more heat.

To some, temperatures don't really matter if their rig runs rock solid stable under heavy loads. Others want to keep their CPU temps at or below 60 under load. Less heat = longer life

When you OC ur CPU and if it runs above 60 under heavy load, you might want to consider better CPU cooling. If its stable and your comfortable with the high temps, then stock cooling might still be ok... For me, as soon as you start OC, you need better cooling.

Hi m8, Ive just oc'ed it to 3.4 GHz (only had to raise the FSB from 200 to 212) 'seems' to be very stable at the moment but only time will tell I suppose.
Thanks for taking time out to help me :D

pablofrogo

Run SuperPi, and 3dmark CPU tests to see if it's really stable.