1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

P4SD-LA mobo chipset heatsink came off

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by jmcging, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jmcging New Member

Thanks Received:
    Excuse the imprecision, but it's been a while since I've gotten inside a case. I have an older HP PC with the "Yale" version of this mobo; and upon opening the case tonight I found the heatsink that covers the intel chipset has broken off. (The PC failed to boot, the heatsink was laying on the videocard; it boots now.) To be clear, I'm referring not the heatsink on the CPU, but the passive heatsink that sits next to the slots.

The heatsink connects to the mobo via 4 "round" connectors on the mobo that "hooks" on the heatsink arms connect to. The problem is that one of those mobo connectors has popped free, leaving the heatsink with just 1 connection and since the PC stands upright, gravity caused it to drop off the board. And now with just 3 connectors and the way the heatsink connects, I can't put the darn thing back. The heatsink doesn't work "in reverse" making the lost connector critical for reattaching the heatsink.

The first question I have is just how much of a problem am I going to have running without a heatsink? This is my only PC and getting a new one isn't in the cards.

The second is does anyone know of a brand or style of heatsink that would work given the missing connector or that could be adapted to work "in reverse" from the usual pattern?

Advice greatly appreciated.

John

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since it may be close to impossible to find a replacement heatsink for it, you could just skip the mounting mechanisms all together, take them off and use some thermal adhesive. Here's a Link for the adhesive.

+1

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. jmcging New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like, wow.

I am amazed at getting responses so quickly and with great advice. The cooler you pointed out on newegg would work with the placement of the 3 remaining hooks while 2 pointers on the adhesive means that is a great option as well.

I appreciate the help, many thanks.

John

5. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    any pics??

6. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    @PB

[​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. jmcging New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup, that's the motherboard. The heatsink to the right of the slots is the item that fell out when one of the 4 loop connectors came off of the motherboard. The board is orientated up and down so gravity dropped it onto the videocard.

I'll get some adhesive and sand down the sink to smooth it out and put it back on.

Can I run the PC without the sink in the interim or is it best to let it sit until I get the materials?

8. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't push it running without a heatsink. The chipset tends to get rather warm.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. jmcging New Member

Thanks Received:
    fair enough - makes sense. good thing teh daughter is home from school with her laptop.

Really do appreciate the help!

Thanks all

10. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Very welcome! Oh btw ...

Merry Christmas and Welcome to TPU! xD

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. jmcging New Member

Thanks Received:
    As a followup - Newegg came through with great delivery and I ended up using the Arctic Alumina adhesive to reseat the heatsink and things seem to be going well. Given I wasn't aware of the adhesive version of this stuff, it'd have taken me a lot longer to get back up so I appreciate the help.

John