1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Page File

Discussion in 'General Software' started by berkolol, Dec 18, 2008.

1. berkolol New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi to all.

My laptop has 2GB of physical memory, and i got it with Windows Vista Premium. It has default setting for pagefile, means Vista automatically determines size of pagefile.sys file. Currently, size of file is 2.3GB. I never use more then 1.5GB of RAM so is it 100% for me to turn off page file?

Thanks.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Could lead to issue's with some programs. You could just turn it off and see if all your stuff still works 100%.

I've only had a issue turning it off with some games even with 6GB had issue's with some as they seem to depend on it.

3. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Not sure on what size to set it, but I won't recommend turning it off, some windows applications and other applications require a pagefile in order to work, turning that off might affect some programs utilizing it, although having it set to a constant size would do, but I don't know how much is needed for you. Some say having a constant 1024= 1gb is ok, others say different. Let's see others opinion on page files constant size.

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed with the previous 2 posts, what I would suggest to optimise performance is to set the initial and the max to the same figure (apparently then it will only use the pagefile if it really needs it, often windows uses it when it doesent actually need it), mine are set at 2048 for both.

King Wookie says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well when i have used a fixed pagefile i have had issue's before all though this has been with XP as i have not tried it with Vista..

Just try it and find out :p :).

6. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Vista uses the pagefile system more than XP did...I turned mine off a few weeks back to see if it would boost game performance and i started getting freeze ups and crashes...LEAVE IT ON!!

7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I use vista and set mine to 1.5 gb.. Although I could set it higher, but I just leave it as is, as I don't encounter any problems yet.

8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I turned pagefile off with Vista with 2 and 4GB of RAM.

Only problem I ever had was with 2GB, CS:S would constantly minimise from windows complaining it was running low on memory (90%) and with 4GB Photoshop would make windows complain it wanted more memory.

Application wise, I never had problems or crashes.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I would never turn off your page file. Ever. EVER! I put my page file on a separate partition in the middle of the HD, so it is about 2% faster! If you have to mess with your page file, do what I did.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. berkolol New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll turn it off and see what happens.

But it's still not clear to me why would applications have any problems if all they need to do is to communicate with OS services through API calls. OS should manage memory and paging on disc by itself - so if there's enough physical memory i don't see why would any application have had problems.

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Some programs still use the pagefile, even if you have enough physical memory for them. it's just the way they are coded. Photoshop, for example, will not work properly without a pagefile.

Even if you turn off your pagefile, windows creates a temporary one. It's best just leave it on. I would just set it to 1024MB.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    i had an old game that didnt work if you have the page file enabled, so left it as it came, it dont hurt... i guess

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    With only 2GB of RAM there is no sense in disabling the pagefile...2GB is lower average these days with 4GB being the newstandard, even then running a pagefile is recommended. Windows was been designed to use it, programs have been designed to use it, even with 8GB of memory there will still be programs that look for it or use it. And like said earlier windows will just make a temporary one, which can cause more fragmentation that alloting a 2GB min 2GB max pagefile...you won't gain performance and will probably lose some stability by disabling the page file. I've tried it, had some issues with programs, turned it back on. It's a design element...the only reason I see to disable it would be to defrag the HDD and then re-enable it at the end of your current defragged info...but it has less of an impact now than it used to in performance.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. berkolol New Member

Thanks Received:
    After 30min i got first problem. Although task manager showed 1.4GB is in use Windows complained how there's no enought memory for FF... Now it's min 0.5, max 1GB.

15. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

16. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    For your memory amount and running vista, I'd set it at 2G min and 2G max. The general rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5x system memory. Unless you have 4G or more.