• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pagefile "anomalies"?

Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Carbon AC
Cooling Wraith Spire, Scythe Kaze Flex *3
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
Storage WDS250G2X0C, WD20EZRZ, WD20EARX, ST2000LX001, ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case SAMA Full Tower Black Fish
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition 520W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite
Keyboard CoolerMaster Masterkeys PRO M
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, unless you changed the defaults - and there's no reason to - you don't need to remember because Windows automatically defrags hard drives regularly anyway.

Yes, it is set to weekly by default.

I did not notice it, because I rarely leave my computer powered on while away for longer time, or this defragmenation appear in background in not so agressive way so you don't notice perfomance issues. Sometimes I noticed some of my disk drives working in background for no apparent reason, maybe is this some kind of occasional defragmention process.

One of the reasons I don't like defragmentation is because it wears out hard drive moving parts but today's defragmentation tools are propably more optimized I presume.

As you know NTFS and some protocols like NCQ is making fragmentation on mechanical drives less of a problem.

Well, here we go. You have issues either with your RAM modules (running memtest86 for a few hours is always a good idea) or GPU, or GPU drivers or some broken Windows drivers. Your issues have nothing to do with the pagefile or its size.

I bought MemTest Pro Deluxe especially for this reason and I recommend it to everyone, because MemTest86 although free, it is not that good as I thought because it did not show any errors while MemTest Pro Deluxe did. And my memory passed memory test, same with CPU, GPU etc.

I know that B350 and B450 chipsets and Zen/+ CPU officially don't support 3200Mhz DDR4 as Zen2. And I've had issues running G.Skill Ripjaws V (they are tested and recommended for Intel) with Asus B350 TUF at 3200 MhZ but all is well with MSI B450 Carbon AC motherboard sans issue with v16 UEFI and current state of click BIOS(GSE-Lite) thanks to bloated AMD AGESA.

3200 Mhz is sweet spot for Ryzen CPUs.

I have never in my entire life seen any "black screens" in Windows.

Neither I, except BSOD or when having custom pagefile I get black screen. Beside pagefile, maybe it got something to do with Radeon drivers well known for having problems. I never got problems with GeForce drivers.

I wonder how many people in this thread mix up RAM/pagefile issues with something else entirely. Probably most if not all.

If some of my problems no longer appear after I changed from custom to automatic pagefile it is logical to presume it got something to do with pagefile.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
or this defragmenation appear in background in not so agressive way so you don't notice perfomance issues.
^^^This^^^ Microsoft has put a lot of effort into making sure tasks like this (Indexing is another) do not interfere with the user. Defragging (like Indexing) is done so frequently, it really takes little time or resources to keep the drive defragged (or Indexed). The very first time a drive is defragged or indexed can take awhile. But after that, it is very quick. In any case, it is done WAY in the background, when the user is idle.

In the old days when hard drives themselves were much slower and smaller, defraggers used to move all the files closer to the outer edges to consolidate free space. With today's much faster drives and especially with their very fast seek times (the time it take to find the first file segment), moving files to the outer edges is no longer necessary for performance. And with today's drives being so big, consolidating free space is much less important too. It is still important to keep file segments together (not fragmented) but it does not matter if those files are scattered all over the disk.
One of the reasons I don't like defragmentation is because it wears out hard drive moving parts
Yeah, that never was a valid reason. Yes, defragging does task those moving parts - but that is only infrequently when the defragging process is happening. What is worse is the day-in and day-out thrashing of the hard drive's moving components when the drive is fragmented.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
Psychological projection would have us believe you are the liar in this case since none of your claims can be verified you're just blowing smoke.

Here on the other hand is actual proof of my claim. GTAV will hard crash if you don't use a pagefile. This is 2 seconds after loading single player game with no pagefile.
After reading this thread yesterday, I disable page file and play GTAV just to test it. No crash whatsoever, game played smoothly. Might be slightly smoother than with page file judging from RTSS frametime graph. My pagefile was set at static 8192MB and set on different drive than my game hard drive. Not saying you are a liar, but different system act differently when disabling page file.