• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Painting Case: How long does it take to cure spray paint?

$

$immond$

1st Color Coat
"It sparkles in the sunshine" lol

http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-2/2/

Reading this page it says wet sand after 2-3 days.

http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to4.html

Reading here it says after 2 weeks.

I just sanded, primed and spray painted my computer case. My color coat is RustOleum Metallic Cobalt Blue 242 628. I plan to have an automotive finish once completed, I am just confused on the cure time and when I should wet sand and apply a second coat.. :confused: The case I am using is an Sugo SG02.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
If you're using automotive paint you can safely apply the second coat after 2-3 days. (My business is in automotive paint lol)

It'd be sufficiently dry but not 'cured' - which means completely dry throughout all its thickness.

Make sure you apply a thin coat, otherwise the paint would never cure but be dry on the outside and remain 'soft'.

Edit: I assume it's 2K paint you're using?

$

$immond$

Alright, well I actually picked it up at home depot but the can says for automotive, bikes, door hinges and "more". Its for indoor/outdoor applications.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
As BP said, this depends on the dilution of the paint(and hence the type), different paint have different times. the best way to judge is paint a scrap piece of metal during the original painting process. and after a day or two you can test(with a poking thing) on the scrap piece if its dried enough.

Note that the "scrap" piece mentioned may well be the underside of your case.

$

$immond$

Black Panther said:
$immond$ said:
http://img4.imageshack.us/f/img0190tw.jpg/[img]

Well this is it, I am confused on when I can wet sand it and apply a second coat.[/QUOTE]

We don't have that brand here, but apparently it's a single pack (1K) metallic paint meaning you spray it as it is without adding hardener.

Make sure you have a good undercoat first before spraying the first coat. For example if the paint is metallic grey and the case is a dark colour it might be hard to achieve complete cover while applying only a thin coat. A thick coat would be disastrous because it will take very long to dry. So if the paint is metallic grey first paint the case in an ordinary grey undercoat to cover up the original colour of the case.

Then spray a thin coat.
Leave to dry for 2-3 days.
Wet-sand with a fine sandpaper (P1500 or higher).
Apply the second coat.
Repeat the above and then spray the clear-coat.

Now is the time that you have to wait for the curing.
Do not apply any polish before the lapse of at least 10 days until the paint is completely cured. Otherwise you risk matting everything.
:toast:[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well I want to add a mirror finish I am just confused by these tutorials. Should I apply a second coat before sanding it or wetsand it after it dries enough, then apply a second coat? I will be putting a clear coat over top, 3m rubbing compound and 3m hand glaze. I really want a super shiny finish. [B]Thanks Black Panther![/B]

Last edited by a moderator: