• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

partition help

fafa21

Processor Intel core 2quad q9650 @3.6 ghz
Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Memory 6gb 1X1 gb ozc and 2X2 gb gskills 1066mhz
Video Card(s) powercolor hd 6870 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
Storage 1t seagate barracuda and one 300 gb velociraptor and 250 GB wd caviar for backups
Display(s) ultrasharp dell 22 inchs
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-plosion 7.1 cinema.
Power Supply extreme rosewill 750 watts
Software triple boot windows xp pro 32bit and vista home premium 64bit and windows 7 premuim
Benchmark Scores 4330 in 3dmark 11
Hi i have a laptop with 2 partitions on it and i would to make the partition with the OS on it bigger. Its only 75 GB how do i move free space from one partition to the other?

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!

fafa21

Processor Intel core 2quad q9650 @3.6 ghz
Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Memory 6gb 1X1 gb ozc and 2X2 gb gskills 1066mhz
Video Card(s) powercolor hd 6870 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
Storage 1t seagate barracuda and one 300 gb velociraptor and 250 GB wd caviar for backups
Display(s) ultrasharp dell 22 inchs
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-plosion 7.1 cinema.
Power Supply extreme rosewill 750 watts
Software triple boot windows xp pro 32bit and vista home premium 64bit and windows 7 premuim
Benchmark Scores 4330 in 3dmark 11
No i cant do that i dont want to delete anything i just need to move some of the free space on the second partition to the OS partition because its full. i used to have a program that could do that but i cant remember what it was called.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
No i cant do that i dont want to delete anything i just need to move some of the free space on the second partition to the OS partition because its full. i used to have a program that could do that but i cant remember what it was called.

I dont think its possible without formatting. Once the partition size is set and Windows installed on that partition, Im pretty sure you cant alter it without formatting.

EDIT: I forgot about Partition Magic :D

Try this: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?threadID=186341

Do you not have an external drive that you could backup all your data on, then format? I say this because you may run into problems when you try to delete the unwanted partition because my guess is that its a SYSTEM RESTORE partition made by your laptop manufacturer.

Last edited:
System Name FlowTI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000MHz/CL30 RGB
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Storage Main: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB | Data: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) DELL S2721DGFA 165Hz
Case NZXT H5 Flow RGB
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Firefly Black DAC | Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X | Shure MV7 Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores Don't care
You don't need Partition Magic!

1. Open start menu and type 'Computer Management' and open it.
2. Select 'Disk Management' from a list on the left.
3. Select the bigger partition, click right mouse button on in and select Shrink Volume. Now Windows will count how much place you can 'cut' from it, it will take a while. When it finishes, specify the right amount of megabytes and click 'Shrink'. Now give your OS some time and you should see some 'Free space' between your partitions.
4. Select the OS partition, press right mouse button and click 'Extend Volume'. Specify the right amount of megabytes once more (in default it should have the right value already typed in) and press 'Extend'.

That should do the trick.
Good luck!

PS. It's doable in Vista and Win7. Windows XP might not have such options.
PS2. You can also find 'Computer Management' in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.

Last edited:

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!

3. Select the bigger partition, click right mouse button on in and select Shrink Volume. Now Windows will count how much place you can 'cut' from it, it will take a while. When it finishes, specify the right amount of megabytes and click 'Shrink'. Now give your OS some time and you should see some 'Free space' between your partitions.
4. Select the OS partition, press right mouse button and click 'Extend Volume'. Specify the right amount of megabytes once more (in default it should have the right value already typed in) and press 'Extend'.

Good luck!

PS2. You can also find 'Computer Management' in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.

Cool, thats handy to know. I never create partitions on my HDDs so i never need to shrink them lol.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Good luck!

Best making a backup before doing that just in case.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Best making a backup before doing that just in case.

yeah, I dont like messing about with things like this. I always find it best to backup, then format ;)