• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Partition Question

K

kyle2020

Quick question - how many partitions can a Hard Drive have? Im having a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint arrive tomorrow and i wanted to create 3 partitions on it - 1 for the OS, around 30GB, probably 50GB just to make the numbers even, and then split the remaining space, one for programs and the other for storage - is that possible? i have never partitioned this hard drive so i dont know :D

thanks!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm pretty sure you can make as many partitions as you want and are only limited by the amout of storage you have.:)

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ lapped @3,0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1264
Memory 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) Xpertvision 8800GTS 640MB G80
Storage 250GB Seagate Barracuda & 750GB Samsung
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 931BF
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889A
Power Supply HEC WinPower 550W
Software Ubuntu 10.04 x86 & Windows 7 x86
Benchmark Scores I'm scared of benching
Of course you can. Thre's almost no limit for number of partitions, except your HDD space :)
P.S. I don't think you want 100000 partitions 5MB each :D

Four primary partitions, of which a single can be an extended partition. No more. Extended partitions contain logical partitions, no clue if there is a limit for these. I'm pretty sure you won't hit this limit though.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
The extended partition causes a lot of confusion for people setting up new PCs/HDDs. The extended partition really functions as a "container" that holds additional logical partitions except for the first (primary) volume. The reason that this structure was used is that the original design, with its limit of four partitions, was too restrictive. The extended partition system allows you to have up to 24 logical partitions in a single system.

Why "only" 24? Well with A and B for floppy, you only have 24 letters left. DOS and Windows are limited are limited to single letter drive designators, like "C" or "D". I dont know of any, but there *might* be filiing systems that allow a different system.

So long as the master boot record is not damaged, all PRIMARY partitions are independent. If one gets damaged the others are safe.

Within the extended partition, the logical drives are stored in a linked structure. The extended partition's information is contained in the master partition table (since the extended partition is one of the four partitions stored in the master boot record). It contains a link to an extended partition table that describes the first logical partition for the disk. That table contains information about that first logical partition, and a link to the next extended partition table which describes the second logical partition on the disk, and so on. The extended partition tables are linked in a chain starting from the master partition table.

Extendend partitions are NOT independent. If the boot record of one of the partitions gets damaged ALL partitions in the chained link will go down and data will be lost.

Always use primary partitions, UNLESS you desperately need more than 4. But in such a case, backups become more important.

Summary

HDD
---> Primary
---> Primary
---> Primary
---> Extended ("container")
.......>> Logical
.......>> Logical
.......>> ...

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ lapped @3,0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1264
Memory 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) Xpertvision 8800GTS 640MB G80
Storage 250GB Seagate Barracuda & 750GB Samsung
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 931BF
Case Coolermaster CM690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889A
Power Supply HEC WinPower 550W
Software Ubuntu 10.04 x86 & Windows 7 x86
Benchmark Scores I'm scared of benching
Thanks for info. Before i thought that after Z: there will be AA: AB: AC: bla bla bla partitions ;)

K

kyle2020

The extended partition causes a lot of confusion for people setting up new PCs/HDDs. The extended partition really functions as a "container" that holds additional logical partitions except for the first (primary) volume. The reason that this structure was used is that the original design, with its limit of four partitions, was too restrictive. The extended partition system allows you to have up to 24 logical partitions in a single system.

Why "only" 24? Well with A and B for floppy, you only have 24 letters left. DOS and Windows are limited are limited to single letter drive designators, like "C" or "D". I dont know of any, but there *might* be filiing systems that allow a different system.

So long as the master boot record is not damaged, all PRIMARY partitions are independent. If one gets damaged the others are safe.

Within the extended partition, the logical drives are stored in a linked structure. The extended partition's information is contained in the master partition table (since the extended partition is one of the four partitions stored in the master boot record). It contains a link to an extended partition table that describes the first logical partition for the disk. That table contains information about that first logical partition, and a link to the next extended partition table which describes the second logical partition on the disk, and so on. The extended partition tables are linked in a chain starting from the master partition table.

Extendend partitions are NOT independent. If the boot record of one of the partitions gets damaged ALL partitions in the chained link will go down and data will be lost.

Always use primary partitions, UNLESS you desperately need more than 4. But in such a case, backups become more important.

Summary

HDD
---> Primary
---> Primary
---> Primary
---> Extended ("container")
.......>> Logical
.......>> Logical
.......>> ...

so i should do all primary partitions? that kinda confused me a bit :wtf:

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
All primary

Solution: NTFS folders. Partitions don't require a drive letter. Most OSes don't even use drive letters in the first place.
Additionally you can also not mount them at all.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
am think better go for 4 or 5 partition , cuz programs , games , movies today take more space, for example if you have a 10 partition two of them have 8g free, and you know new games take more than 7g so we say you can install a game with 10gb in any of this two partition, now you lose 16 gb , and for primary partition c give 50gb for sure, i know you don;t need it now but later am sure cuz windows vista and office take more than 10gb and don't forget update, there is too many internet and tools programs you need also it better if you have 10g free for virtual memory and widows extension

smig

System Name Smig
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Motherboard MSI K9n6SGM-V
Cooling Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 + 2 80 case fans
Memory 2gb DDR2-800 5-5-5-15@400MHz
Video Card(s) Inoision 9600GSO 384mb
Storage 2x Seagate SATA2 250gb - RAID-1
Display(s) no name 19" LCD
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1
Power Supply Topower 500w
Software XP Pro SP2
thanks lemonadesoda :)

I never knew this info about the linking of partitions.
I have 4 partitions, and always used to have them as primery + 3 logigical, since the old days of DOS :D
guess I should change it now.

am think better go for 4 or 5 partition , cuz programs , games , movies today take more space, for example if you have a 10 partition two of them have 8g free, and you know new games take more than 7g so we say you can install a game with 10gb in any of this two partition, now you lose 16 gb , and for primary partition c give 50gb for sure, i know you don;t need it now but later am sure cuz windows vista and office take more than 10gb and don't forget update, there is too many internet and tools programs you need also it better if you have 10g free for virtual memory and widows extension

For exactly the reason you give I prefer not making partitions. Directories work just as fine.