1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Passive cooling on a g4560

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Avincombat, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Avincombat

Thanks Received:
    Just as the title says, I am wandering if anyone knows how the temps would be under load. My thought is to do a totally silent build with passive cooling on the cpu and gpu with the rx 460 heatsink only version. Would I need any case fans or could I get by on nothing at all?

2. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Sit in a car with the windows up, outside, in the sun on a 90F+ day and that's kinda whats happening in your case.

Get some fans.

revin and Knoxx29 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    For a completely passive PC you would need:

Use integrated graphics
    ULV CPU with low TDP,
    A case large enough (non SFF)
    A highly efficient PSU

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, what?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    That's a dedicated video card with "<75W" TDP
    Without case fans, the tower will be too hot
    Integrated GPU like Intel HD has no additional TDP beyond the stated in the CPU specs

6. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    OP is asking if he needs fans or not and instead of answering them you gave a list of what is "needed."

I mean, fans are good fans to have, si?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    At least put 2 fans in the case (1 intake , 1 exhaust ) , low RPM case fans are literally inaudible. Also get on of those large CPU coolers that come without fans they are typically intended to work as passive coolers if there is a need.

8. Derek12

Thanks Received:

Read carefully the big part then read my first post :slap:

9. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Passive cooling without airflow won't work.

You need to do one of the following:
    1) Use a very quiet single-fan air cooling solution (like Noctua NH-L9i)
    2) Use a passive heatsink from an LGA115x server and add some good airflow into the case (at least a pair of 120mm fans on low RPM)
    3) Build an open case and hope that it'll dissipate enough heat into ambient air without additional airflow.
    4) Switch your CPU to 4560T version(35W TDP, 600MHz lower clock).

Same goes to your GPU. Just because it has passive cooling does not mean that it does not require airflow. Even 28W GT730 needs something to blow the air over it to stay cool. Otherwise it hits 80-90C in a matter of minutes under load.

Avincombat and Toothless say thanks.
  10. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    There are special cases designed for silent, passive cooling with no fans, it can be done, but may be expensive.
    They utilize extensive heat pipe setups and the case is basically an extension of that.
    [​IMG]

Devon68 and Beastie say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Beastie

Beastie

Thanks Received:
    What is the purpose of the build?

There is a company called Nofan that make passive CPU coolers and cases to match.
    http://www.nofancomputer.com/eng/

TBH personally I would look at an active cooler with good acoustics. Noctua, BeQuiet, Thermalright and Cryorig are some brands that make very quiet coolers, you would probably never hear the fan anyway seeing as a G4560 has a low- ish TDP of 55W.
    Especially if you house your components in a case with good sound damping qualities.

Problem with passive cooling is that even if the CPU and GPU are taken care of with suitable heatsinks, some airflow on the motherboard and other components is still desirable. VRMs and the south bridge on some motherboards get quite hot otherwise.
    So you want components that don't generate too much heat and/or you want a case with lots of holes so the heat can convect out.

So i would go for a build with quiet fans rather than passive.

But passive certainly can be done if you design your system well. The more modest the power demands of your sytem the easier it will be.

Avincombat says thanks.
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If you believe using the integrated graphics doesn't increase the heat output of the CPU, you are wrong.

This. You have to have some airflow through the case if you want to use standard desktop parts, even the lower power ones. Even the fanless PSUs state you have to have some airflow through the case from some other fan,

I have built systems with just a single 120mm fan before, it is possible. But building one with no fans at all, using standard desktop processors and GPUs, isn't possible without very specially designed cases that are extremely expensive.

For the CPU, you don't need a special fancy passive cooler. For the G4560, you can get away with a half decent standard 120mm tower cooler, just take the fan off. Something like a Hyper 212 Evo. Then just pull the fan off that and use it passively, it will cool the G4560 just fine passively. Then get a good airflow fan for the case to get the hot air out of the case.

I wouldn't go with a passive PSU either, just get one with a fan-off function that automatically turns the fan off under low load.

Avincombat says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Who said that

I said that TDP also counts IGP usage

IGPs consume less = less heat.

That's why I saw towers without ANY fan using ULV CPUs like the J3710, with the same TDP as the Atom N455 used on NETBOOKS.

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It isn't exactly that simple. The rated TDP is an average maximum. The CPU can exceed this for periods of time. Infact, it isn't even a hard limit, just more of a guideline for picking the heatsink to use with the processor.

Using the iGPU increases the heat output of the CPU. Yes, the iGPU is going to put out less heat than a dedicated card. However, it will drastically increase the heat output of the CPU. This causes more problems than is solves with a passive cooler on the CPU. The extra heat from the iGPU can overload the passive cooler, causing the CPU to overheat and begin to throttle.

So, moving the heat from the GPU to a dedicated card with its own heatsink is what you want to do. You don't want to increase the heat generated by the CPU.

Derek12 says thanks.
  15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    iirc, silverstone makes a Aluminum built PAssive cooling case, which the CPU heatsink, connects to the side panel iirc, and dissipates heat in that manner. i would say if i had to make a on the spot guess, that a Pentium MIGHT be a tad much for a passive cooling (reasonable) setup, meaning not overboard, maybe an atom, or some lesser mobile CPU>?

16. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I though TDP was the maximum for a non OC'ed CPU. Thanks for the explanation

Anyway I am talking more to total heat output of the computer. The heat trapped inside the case.

17. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    A lot of people here are seriously exaggerating and overthinking this whole matter. We are talking about a 54W chip people , you can EASILY get away with a decently sized cooler and a single low RPM 120 mm fan at the back of the case as an exhaust. If you are suggesting not even something like this can be passively cooled then what can ? Another fan at the front or side for the GPU and you are golden in near silence without having to resort to exotic cooling methods.

18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That is essentially what I said.

Vya Domus says thanks.
  19. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Admittedly I didn't read every post but I thought he was talking/asking about 100% passive w/ no fans as a possibility.
    If he's going to add fans then yeah shouldn't be a problem at all I was just thinking without any

20. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    If he gets a huge cooler it should work even completely passive , borderline safely though. My point was that a lot of low RPM fans make hardly any noise and there is just no reason not put at least 2 of them.

21. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    i agree many fans can be bought that make Very little noise, but as i mentioned, i was under the impression of a passive build, not to mention that he is thinking of a Passive RX 460 as well, all that passive cooling in one case makes for a tough situation, so thats why i mentioned a possible Lower end CPU overthe Pentium, which i have the older version of which is 53Watt, and trust me, Does generate some significant heat, even under mechanical cooling.

22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I booted a g3900 skylake with no cooler on it at all to the bios to show the guy buying that it worked. Now that is passive

jboydgolfer says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    yessir!

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Not really. The thermal protection in modern systems is really good. If it started to overheat, it will just start to throttle. If it keeps getting hotter even when throttling, the system will shut down before any damage is done.

Though, I'd buy a PWM case fan and run it off the CPU header. So if the CPU does start to get too hot, the case fan will at least ramp up and try to cool the system down.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Passive cool just means no fans directly attached to the device, you still want case fans to remove thermal buildup.

Heatsinks eventually reach thermal saturation where they can't get rid of the heat fast enough.

Vya Domus says thanks.