• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patent War Brewing Between Intel and Qualcomm-Microsoft over x86 Emulation

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
* In 2003, VIA settled its long-time patent and monopolisation disputes against Intel in the UK in exchange for an extensive cross-licence agreement with Intel for 10 years.
source: http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sect...l_decision.pdf

* In addition, the FTC settlement order will require Intel to:

modify its intellectual property agreements with AMD, Nvidia, and VIA so that those companies have more freedom to consider mergers or joint ventures with other companies, without the threat of being sued by Intel for patent infringement;
offer to extend VIA’s x86 licensing agreement for five years beyond the current agreement, which expires in 2013;
source: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...-against-intel

VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd. was established in April 2013 with a total registered capital of USD$250M. As a joint venture between Shanghai Alliance Investment Ltd. who is affiliated to Shanghai SASAC and VIA Technologies, Inc., VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd. has about 1000 employees and locates its headquarter at Zhangjiang of Shanghai with branches in Beijing, Hangzhou, Wuhan, Shenzhen, Taiwan, California and Texas of America (Centaur Technology Inc.).

With the forefront technologies and know-how in the design of CPU, GPU and chipsets, VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd. is well known to provide high security, high performance, low power dissipation, and low cost SoC solutions.

As a fabless SoC factory, VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd. adopts advanced 40nm and 28nm semiconductor processes. VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd.’s main products include CPU and chipsets for desktop PC and laptop and ARM Cortex series SoC with its state of the art Elite series GPU and Video Engine IPs. VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd. aims at becoming the leading SoC solution supplier for smart TV (TVOS), smart phone and tablets.

link: http://en.zhaoxin.com/

Current x86 Product
source:
http://en.zhaoxin.com/Solution.aspx?id=3

• (2017): ZX-D (28nm) 2.0GHz QuadCore and 2.0GHz OctaCore
link:
http://en.zhaoxin.com/InCenterContent.aspx?id=115
link: http://en.zhaoxin.com/InCenterContent.aspx?id=112
link: http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_s...e0ddedcba39eae88f0cdfddbbedbe6d6f083be86&l=en

• (2018): ZX-E (16nm) up to 3.0GHz OctaCore

Will after AMD comeback also VIA processors comeback? FinFET’s going chips and a large modernization

source:
https://translate.google.sk/translate?hl=sk&sl=cs&tl=en&u=https://www.cnews.cz/bude-po-comebacku-amd-navrat-procesoru-via-chysta-finfetove-cipy-velkou-modernizaci/

So yeah, these are for the Chinese market, not likely to be available outside of China.
Let's see if they can deliver their new chips next year at a competitive level.

No, stupidity is the new church.

Intel has only stagnated in desktop CPU performance. Because they were left unchallenged in that area. But guess what? They made huge strides in the mobile space and they seriously beefed up their IGPs (they're not at Radeon level, but they're way better than GMA900). Faulting Intel for stagnating in an already stagnant market, is short sighted at best.

Since when is to not being challenged an excuse for stagnation?
In relation to the invested amount of money and ressoures regarding engineering manpower their IGPs are still crap.
And "huge strides in mobile space" mean Atom or what? I guess you talking the i3/i5/i7 XXXXU CPUs with 15W TDP? They are in a complete different league regarding power consumption compared with ARM and Atom stuff (< 7W TDP). Please compare apples to apples here.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Since when is to not being challenged an excuse for stagnation?
In relation to the invested amount of money and ressoures regarding engineering manpower their IGPs are still crap.
And "huge strides in mobile space" mean Atom or what? I guess you talking the i3/i5/i7 XXXXU CPUs with 15W TDP? They are in a complete different league regarding power consumption compared with ARM and Atom stuff (< 7W TDP). Please compare apples to apples here.
My intention wasn't to compare apples with apples, it was to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. If you need to nit and pick to prove your point, knock yourself out.

And to answer your first question, Intel does not need an "excuse for stagnation". They're not a government research agency, they're a public company. They only need an excuse for not making money for their shareholders.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Emulation is only a crime when you use intellectual property of the party you are emulating or use their patents. For example, Apple would not be happy if someone emulated the Apple store and hoodwinked their app database. It's essentially stealing their marketplace, even though it took Apple a long time to build up all of those developers, apps, and underlying software. The same applies to x86, where Intel is not only significantly invested on the hardware side but on the software side as well. Intel compilers, dev programs, ect. It's like giving out free candy as "CandyCorp" and then someone else stealing that name and using that goodwill to sell candy based on that first impression.

So all those x86 emulators that are open source out there are illegal?

I find that hard to accept.

Well, long live UWP then and fck Intel.

If M$ gives developers proper incentives, I am sure this is doable.

So all those x86 emulators that are open source out there are illegal?

I find that hard to accept.

Well Open source means they are not profiting from the code.

And Intel only gives a shit if someone profits from their patents.
Logically.

M$ would want to profit as would the chip manufacturers. So it is a no go.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
ARM holdings (or a large part thereof) was acquired by Saudi Arabia sheik/prince/whatever so ARM is hanging in the balance... Intel will be just fine and x86 will be as well...
Japanese company Softbank acquired ARM holdings.

From http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/20/softbank-and-saudis-launch-largest-tech-investment-vehicle-ever.html
An investment group that includes Japan's SoftBank and Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth arm announced on Saturday it had closed $93 billion in capital.

In addition to SoftBank and the Saudi kingdom's public investment fund, whose roles were previously announced, investors in Softbank Vision Fund include the Mubadala Investment
Company of the United Arab Emirates, Apple, Foxconn Technology Group, Qualcomm and Sharp.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
As it should, maybe intel should of doubled up IPC and overall performance at, let me say same power envelope, the lease, after every tick-tock or whatever their plan was ,( I do not know who I Am quoting:"Shoot first; no questions") performance wise that is.
Ah and wasn't it to long ago when I /(we'd) thought multicore CPU gaming is the future and here we are as if nothing changed much(except the clisee games multicore done quite bad, pretty much all, and quite the same would go for Gpus: here you go when you open up gpu-z: big numbers, but we made up a name for some graphics effect that taxes graphics card. if only pay me,blow me,pay me,..., considering price's, le: and wasted time of consumers.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well, long live UWP then
Yeeeeaaahhhh....._Im not really sure you understand how bad that would be for those of us that are gamers.