1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pay To Play DVD/Blu-Ray? Windows 8 Sucks

Discussion in 'General Software' started by alexsubri, May 7, 2012.

1. alexsubri

alexsubri

Thanks Received:
    Sausage: http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/playing-dvdsblu-ray-on-windows-8-to-cost/

2. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    I don't see this as a big problem.... Rarely use windows media player anyway... there are a ton of other solutions

VCL is free...

The article is blowing this out of proportion...

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well it isn't Microsoft at fault here, you can actually blame Motorola and Sony for this one. Motorola just won the court case saying Windows infringes on some of their patents, patents that related to video H.264/AVC, and Sony won a case a long ass time ago related to their patents on DVD. This means Microsoft has to pay licensing fees to include a codec for Blu-Ray or DVD in the OS. Sony is reasonable with their licensing fees, Motorola hasn't been reasonable.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with this news. First of all, you already have to pay extra to play DVDs on Windows 7. The cheaper versions don't include the DVD codec. Part of the price of the higher end editions is the DVD licensing fee. Now that Microsoft is only going to have 2 versions of the OS(this is what we all wanted remember), there is no cheap option, so I'd be glad to see the price a little cheaper in return for no DVD support out of the box, and giving the option to pay later if needed. And Blu-Ray isn't Nativity supported at all on Win7, so you have to pay extra already for that as well, why should be expect Microsoft to eat this cost of licensing?

And doesn't legally play or support commerical Blu-Ray movies due to the licensing issues related to the codec.

But you are right about the article blowing it way out of proportion. This is no different from what we already have. We already pay extra for DVD support by buying more expensive version of Windows and Blu-Ray support by buying 3rd party software.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Frick says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Time to go download VLC before someone shuts them down...

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    people still play DVDs on their computer?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    only because i have Netflix :)

7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Vlc media player!!!!!

8. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Isn't a hyperbolic response what we expect at this point?

Windows media center is terribad. Motorola and Sony want to be able to get "their" money. I don't see how this is news.

Blu-ray makes DVD protection look like a joke. Rotating features, that require updates just to play your purchased media, and extremely poor options for viewing on a PC. I call shenanigans. I watch Blu-ray and DVD both on my htpc. I'm starting to think that illegal programs are the only way for consumers to be able to fully use what they purchased. I'm having a hard time seeing how MS is going to spin "the increase in media player software piracy" that is going to be caused. Who wants to take bets?

Licensing Blu-ray is a couple of dollars per OS, and so is DVD. Cutting $10 off of a $220 (retail copies), then charging $50 for a media center "addition," is a joke. Add this to the growing pile of why 7 is going to be my OS of choice for the forseeable future.

9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Almost looks like qubit wrote that article. Blergh.

But as others have said: It's not really MS' fault this time. THey pretty much have to do it.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Protest!!

11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I only use my dvd drive to rip dvds and then transfer them to my htpc. Dont actually use the drive to play the disc.