• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pc boot up, turn off, then boot up again

System Name Win 10
Processor i5-7400 CPU @3.0PGHz
Motherboard ASUSTek PRIME H270-PLUS REV X.0x
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
Turn on power button > monitor and everything power up > for a split second all power shut off then turn on again > auto boot into bios > i cancel the bios and pc back to normal. This happen everytime i boot up my pc, whats happening?

Before this happen, i did open up the pc and clean it for a bit, is this related?

please help

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name Win 10
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
1. Fill out your system specs in:
2. Define "clean it for a bit".
3. Check for any loose connectors etc.
1. Done but i cant really find others component’s spec like PSU
2. I open up the case, use a dry tissues to wipe clean the bottom of the casing(while the casing is standing up right), i never touch anything such as GPU, CPU, any wire etc…Also i wiped fan at the front of the casing also using a dry tissue. This is not the first time i clean the pc, but this is my first time encounter this problem.
3. Outside or inside? I never touch any connector inside the casing as im afraid. I replugged everything properly outside the casing thought, the PSU cable, VGA for monitor, mouse, keyboard.

side note: i have not touch this pc for 2 months. But today i clean it up and then this happen.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Possibly the CMOS battery is dying. They are easy to change and cheap CR2032 is the part number.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Before this happen, i did open up the pc and clean it for a bit, is this related?
So the very first time after cleaning, this problem started? That could suggest a cable was knocked loose.

Did you unplug the computer from the wall before reaching in?

A dry tissue? As in paper like a Kleenex? I do not recommend using a "dry" tissue (or cloth). Wiping with a "dry" tissue could easily result in static buildup and cause ESD (electrostatic discharge) problems. And the problem with ESD is a destructive discharge (spark or arc) can easily torch a Grand Canyon size scorched trench through millions of transistor gates, yet still be so tiny a spark that you (as a human) cannot see, hear, or feel that a static discharge even occurred!

side note: i have not touch this pc for 2 months. But today i clean it up and then this happen.
And did you try to use it after it sat for 2 months and before cleaning it today? Why was it not used for 2 months?

System Name Win 10
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
So the very first time after cleaning, this problem started? That could suggest a cable was knocked loose.

Did you unplug the computer from the wall before reaching in?

A dry tissue? As in paper like a Kleenex? I do not recommend using a "dry" tissue (or cloth). Wiping with a "dry" tissue could easily result in static buildup and cause ESD (electrostatic discharge) problems. And the problem with ESD is a destructive discharge (spark or arc) can easily torch a Grand Canyon size scorched trench through millions of transistor gates, yet still be so tiny a spark that you (as a human) cannot see, hear, or feel that a static discharge even occurred!

And did you try to use it after it sat for 2 months and before cleaning it today? Why was it not used for 2 months?
i dont remember touching any cable as im wiping just the bottom, could be i missed it. Is there anywhere for me to check which cable is loose? Or do i need to check those cable one by one using my hand, which im pretty scared.

Every external cable is unplugged, only those inside the case are not touched(unless I accidentally touch it which i forgot)

yes, those normal tissue we usually see at every home

im not at home for 2 months thus im not using it, before it was fine though. And no, unfortunately i did not try it before i clean it.

think i should send the pc to an expert tomorrow? Its weird because im still using the pc right now, everything is fine except the boot up proceed, which lead me straight to bios instead of home screen every start up

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The only way to check for loose cables is to press on each connection.

For future cleaning, I recommend taking the computer outside and blasting the interior was compressed air or cans of dusting gas. If you must wipe, using a microfiber cloth is better than paper. And I generally lightly moisten the cloth with a quick misting with Endust for Multisurfaces. Do not use regular dusting sprays as they contain oils. This does not .

System Name My PC
Processor Rysen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory 2x8 G.Skill DDR4-2132
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080 turbo
Storage LiteOn 256GB SSD,Seagate 2TB+WD 4TB
Display(s) LG 29UC97C-B
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX Core 750W sleeved
Software Windows 10
i dont remember touching any cable as im wiping just the bottom, could be i missed it. Is there anywhere for me to check which cable is loose? Or do i need to check those cable one by one using my hand, which im pretty scared.

Every external cable is unplugged, only those inside the case are not touched(unless I accidentally touch it which i forgot)

yes, those normal tissue we usually see at every home

im not at home for 2 months thus im not using it, before it was fine though. And no, unfortunately i did not try it before i clean it.

think i should send the pc to an expert tomorrow? Its weird because im still using the pc right now, everything is fine except the boot up proceed, which lead me straight to bios instead of home screen every start up
+1 on the CMOS battery. That happens to me when i reset the bios. The first boot is a brief powerup and then a restart to bios. If the battery is indeed dead,it'll reset the bios on every boot. If you have any good CR2032 at hand,from a remote or whatever,swap it and test.

System Name Win 10
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
Possibly the CMOS battery is dying. They are easy to change and cheap CR2032 is the part number.
+1 on the CMOS battery. That happens to me when i reset the bios. The first boot is a brief powerup and then a restart to bios. If the battery is indeed dead,it'll reset the bios on every boot. If you have any good CR2032 at hand,from a remote or whatever,swap it and test.
Yea im just about to ask this. I dont have the battery at hand, need to buy them. But a look at my mobo, i dont see the CMOS battery? Its white and round right?
also how safe is it to change it ourself? Im a literal newbie

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not white - but silver, about the size of quarter. Typically CR2032.

It is very safe to change it with just a couple simple precautions. Unplug the computer from the wall. This removes all the voltages, including the ATX Form Factor required +5Vsb standby voltage. Then, before reaching in, simply touch bare metal of the case interior. This will discharge any static in your body. Then carefully remove the battery. There might be a tiny spring retainer clip holding it in place. Observe the polarity before removing.

Do not touch the new battery with your bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean, cotton sock over my hand. Then insert the new battery. Recheck to make sure all cables are securely fastened. Connect the power cord and boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu. This is achieved typically by pressing the Del or another key during the boot process. Check/reset the date and time, if necessary. If you previously made any other changes (like boot order), make sure they are still set. Then "Save and Exit" to boot normally. Cross fingers and toes and hope your problem went away.

System Name My PC
Processor Rysen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory 2x8 G.Skill DDR4-2132
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080 turbo
Storage LiteOn 256GB SSD,Seagate 2TB+WD 4TB
Display(s) LG 29UC97C-B
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply XFX Core 750W sleeved
Software Windows 10
Not white - but silver, about the size of quarter. Typically CR2032.

It is very safe to change it with just a couple simple precautions. Unplug the computer from the wall. This removes all the voltages, including the ATX Form Factor required +5Vsb standby voltage. Then, before reaching in, simply touch bare metal of the case interior. This will discharge any static in your body. Then carefully remove the battery. There might be a tiny spring retainer clip holding it in place. Observe the polarity before removing.

Do not touch the new battery with your bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean, cotton sock over my hand. Then insert the new battery. Recheck to make sure all cables are securely fastened. Connect the power cord and boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu. This is achieved typically by pressing the Del or another key during the boot process. Check/reset the date and time, if necessary. If you previously made any other changes (like boot order), make sure they are still set. Then "Save and Exit" to boot normally. Cross fingers and toes and hope your problem went away.
Just to add,depending on your Mainboard and/or GPU,you may need to remove the GPU for better access.

System Name Win 10
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
Just to add,depending on your Mainboard and/or GPU,you may need to remove the GPU for better access.
well damn…i checked my mobo picture online and the cmos battery is exactly under the gpu…

System Name Win 10
Memory 8 RAM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050ti
Storage HDD 1TB
Hey i couldnt replace the cmos myself so i took my pc to the shop and finally changed it. Also replaced my hdd with ssd. Its all good now, thanks for the help. Im just glad its not anything expensive that are failure

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for coming back with your followup report. :)